2,371 results
All reviews kole kole infinity pool maridadi restaurant tapa tapa bar jambo team beach boys jt safaris evening shows animation team day safari monkeys and baboons all inclusive resort deluxe room our honeymoon water polo masai mara swim up bar
Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

Hotel has finest sandy beach and offers all inclusive with great value for money accomodation and wide variety of buffet all three meals.Rooms are bit small but functional .all rooms are beachfront .Waiters,cleaners and reception staff are very friendly and render very good services.We had great pleasant experuence and enjoyed our holidays.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

This hotel is big and awesome....Djxtrah and DjKanze make the best mixes....the dancing group works so well and are diverse...but the resort needs to work on the plumbing systems,the speed rate at which rooms are cleaned up should improve so as not to constantly follow-up.There were great and friendly waiters at Maridadi and porini and kolekole bars.The all inclusive package is the best ever.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2018 via mobile

I’ve travelled to Kenya several times before but this was my first visit to Diani... previously I’ve stayed further north at Watamu at a hotel also on the beach... I love walking across the white sands into the beautifully warm and clean Indian Ocean... However... this is Kenya and yes you will get approached by the beach boys...! They are all very friendly and are only trying to make a living... The economy is very much different to what we know in Europe and so we always try to buy something for a few Kenyan Shillings (or US Dollars...) to help support them... If you don’t want to do that just smile and be polite and let them know that you’re not carrying any money and not buying anything today...

Meanwhile... my review of the Baobab Resort... We had a fantastic 11 day holiday which included a 4 day Safari to Tsavo East... the resort perhaps falls a little short of my interpretation of 4 stars but on the whole we didn’t find anything to complain about... yes perhaps the rooms could be a little updated but everything was clean and working...! The grounds were immaculately kept and likewise the pools and sunbathing areas... plenty of sun loungers and pool towels changed on request...

We learnt to negotiate our way around the all inclusive buffet and took the opportunity to eat at all of the restaurants within the resort... The all inclusive drinks were more than adequate and were free flowing too...!

All of the staff were polite and charming and very helpful...

The trip to the hotel from the airport through Mombasa is not for the faint hearted but gives you a good insight into how this part of the world works...!

Yes I will be returning to Kenya but I’ll probably want to explore different parts, although yes I would happily recommend staying at The Baobab Beach Resort & Spa...!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2018

We stayed at the Baobab for 8 nights during February 2018. These are the positives:- As soon as we arrived the hotel looked beautiful from the reception area out to the sea. The facilities at the hotel are good as there are three nice swimming pools and a nice spa where we both had treatments from Lillian and Esther - very nice ladies, both good at her job. The gardeners work so hard to keep the complex clean and attractive and the pool attendants do the same with the pool areas. The sea is nice to relax in as long as you can avoid spending too much time with the beach sellers. Many of the staff members were very polite but this wasn't reflected with some of the reception staff. We liked the standard room, it was clean and although there are reports of the bathroom being dated, we didn't mind this as it was clean and it functioned. We thoroughly enjoyed watching the monkeys from afar and felt frustrated with some other visitors screaming for the monkeys to get away from them when they were just keeping themselves to themselves from a distance. People need to realise that the monkeys were there first and you can't turn up shouting the odds when they haven't done anything wrong. We understand that some people feed them which you shouldn't do but to shout just because you don't like monkeys is wrong. As a result, staff chase the monkeys off and not always for the reasons they should do (we understand if it was because they were stealing items but not just because some tourist doesn't want to see monkeys). The food was plentiful but similar dishes kept being served and the meat cuts had a lot of bone on them, meat tending to be a bit tough. The alcoholic drink selection under all inclusive has also deteriorated and the quality is not good - they were better in 2011. We felt isolated when waiting for water at the bottom bar (Maridadi) one day. We had queued for 35 minutes to see many tourists walk in and be served before us. Staff saw we were waiting but ignored us and served a number of holiday makers (serving one group 4 drinks per person) maybe this was because the group were excitable but it was not fair on others waiting. There were very few holiday makers from the UK but one we spoke to had experienced the same issue. Rather than complaining officially, my partner spoke to the more senior looking person at the bar about our concerns and after this the service for us improved and we were served in a proper queue like it should be. Overall, the hotel and setting is great but the service and quality of food drink on offer has deteriorated. This place still has potential but having had a much better experience in 2011 we could see how it has deteriorated in some areas.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2018

I wanted to love the place, I really did. The grounds are absolutely stunning, and, when you turn up, they literally take your breath away, which made some of the disappointments that followed harder to swallow. When we turned up at around half 9, after over twenty-four hours of travelling, several taxis, two planes and a ferry, wanting nothing more than to collapse into bed, or at least switch out of our travel clothes, we found that our rooms weren’t ready. We were offered breakfast and told that they would try and get them done by 10am. 10am passed, and then 11am, and by the time we got the rooms we were all more than a little hot, agitated, on edge, and unhappy, which very much took the shine off things.

The rooms themselves are tired and dated, and need some sprucing up. They are definitely not 4 star, especially when comparing to other 4 stars like the Kilaguni Serena Lodge and the Ol Tukai Lodge (both with stunning rooms and bathrooms). The sheets and towels, while clean, all seemed slightly yellowed, old and bobbled, the pillows hard and lumpy. The air conditioning unit was somewhat dusty (and left me with a very sore throat). We went on safari and had different rooms on returning, (while on the same floor, we were also split up) and the second was even worse than the first. The bathroom door was warped and wouldn’t shut properly without slamming it extremely hard, there was no plug in the sink, the toilet brush needed either throwing out or a deep, deep bleach (not something you want in your bathroom!), toilet didn’t flush properly (it wouldn’t stop!), a lot of the plug sockets seemed very grubby with stains and markings on them, there were holes in the netting that covered the window frames, and again the sheets and towels were very old-seeming, and there was a constant noise (I assume from a generator or pump of some kind) that was extremely irritating and made it hard to sleep; even the air conditioning couldn’t drown it out.

There is no doctor or nurse on site, which, when I fell sick, made it hard. Both hotels above had a clinic and were able to provide medicine and assistance when asked. When you’re in a foreign country with no access to a nearby pharmacy or knowledge of where to go, a bare minimum service would be nice. Cold remedies, pain killers, etc. Thankfully, we visited a local orphanage (Footprints Orphanage, which I would thoroughly advise visiting), and they kindly stopped off at a chemist for us and helped get me some cough medicine. I don’t know what I would have done without it!

Now the positives: The grounds are beautiful, and you are allowed access to all three hotel pools and restaurants. (The Baobab swimming pool could do with some umbrellas as you’re chasing the shade otherwise). The restaurants put a lot of effort into their themed nights, and these were very fun. The majority of staff are wonderful, especially the waiters, and go out of their way to help you, and always have a smile on their face. I particularly want to mention a waiter at the Kole Kole restaurant who insisted on making me a ginger and lemon tea for my throat. He made my evening and put a huge smile on my face, because he certainly didn’t have to do it, and it’s things like that that make the holiday special.

Overall, it has the potential to be an amazing place, but the rooms let it down somewhat, especially after staying at other same starred hotels and seeing what they provided.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family