See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Returning to the Plaza Muisca after three years, I was pleased to find that the only thing that had changed for the worse was something out of their control - the bakery next door no longer serves flan! Everything else at the Hotel itself is still top notch. Beds were comfortable and the room was spacious. At about $60 a night, we received an excellent value. The included breakfast is a great start to the day. Good water pressure and hot water can be rare to find in Colombia, but was still here in abundance. The hotel is conveniently located near historic Plaza Bolivar and is walking distance to many restaurants.

Room tip: At altitude, you may want to choose a lower floor because the stairs can tire you out!
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank rspcoswal
Reviewed February 18, 2012

The staff is so willing to help in any way. The mini bar was stocked with drinks and snack's. I was amazed with how clean the rooms and the whole hotel was for that mater. The fresh breakfast was a real bonus and with the bakery next to the hotel, they always had nice bread, The owners son spoke english which was really nice, and was almost always there as he was one of the bakers in the bakery. I would stay again in a heat beat.

Room tip: The Jacuzzi suet was great,
Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jonathan B
Reviewed December 30, 2011

The hotel is within minutes of the towns attractions, nightlife*
it is almost new. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Alex the manager speaks very good English as he spent three years in Australia. Most of the stafff however do not speak English. If you absolutely need to get english communication across just ask them to call Alex.

* this is a small town but it does have some bars and dance like areas. don't expect it to be like bogota or cali. People usually turn in early.

Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Joe T
Reviewed December 26, 2010

This was my second visit to the Plaza Muisca in Tunja. I was able to make reservations on very short notice and they arranged two rooms for five people that were right next to each other. Amazingly, the rate was only $55 a night, with breakfast included.

The rooms here are clean and large enough to accommodate a few people each. If you have traveled much in Colombia, you will understand my next point. The bathrooms are as modern and comfortable as I have seen. From the large showerhead, there was alway a supply of hot water with good water pressure. The toilets were clean and functioned perfectly. A nice medicine cabinet gave you plenty of room to store your toiletries.

The rooms themselves offer comfortable beds, plasma screen TVs and reliable internet service. My only complaint on the internet is that apparently their wireless network blocks SKYPE, which made it difficult to keep in touch back home.

The hotel itself is in the center of town and you can walk directly up the hill to the Plaza Bolivar and enjoy good traditional foods in nice restaurants. For my money though, the closer, smaller local restaurants serve the best foods. I would also mention that the hotel shares a building with one of the best little bakeries in Colombia. Try their flan, you won't be disappointed.

The breakfast in the hotel is typical Colombian fare. Either caldo, a hearty breakfast soup, or the local eggs with tomatoes and onions. The coffee is fine as well; it's Colombia after all.

If you find yourself in the Tunja region, I can't recommend the Plaza Muisca highly enough.

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank rspcoswal
Reviewed January 29, 2010

Going to Colombia was a huge adventure for my husband and me We loved the simple charm of this hotel, and above all we felt safe and cosy. It is relatively new and the decor is tasteful, yet understated. All of the staff were so polite and friendly. We stayed there over Christmas and could always return at any hour as there is 24 hour opening. It was,however,always quiet-appearing to attract considerate guests. Morning breakfast was a pleasant affair-although we arranged to have porridge after a few days as the menu was very limited-mainly eggs,fruit and bread. I would recommend this hotel wholeheartedly if travellers wish for a simple, clean and friendly environment. Our room was small but with an incredibly comfortable king-sized bed. The hotel was extremely well-managed and very well priced-we negotiated a special price as we were staying for over a week. It is in the town but in a quiet location. Thank you especially to the owner-Guillermo-who made us so welcome in many ways.

Date of stay: December 2009