All reviewsoutdoor poolwater slidesactivity directorhot tubstory buildingkids lovea huge hitfull kitchengreat place for familiesbasketball courtcorn holehigh risebit datedyear after yearfamily vacationeasy access to the beachstaff was very friendly
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We traveled to Daytona Beach on some personal business. We booked four nights at the Sun Viking, looking for a decent, clean, comfy place to stay that had a kitchenette so we didn't have to eat every meal in a restaurant (for the health of our waists as well as our wallets!) I wasn't expecting luxury (thank goodness) but I was really disappointed. Our room was modestly furnished (as expected) and did have a working kitchenette. The room had a really musty smell but we thought a little "airing out" was perhaps in order so we didn't think too much of it. After our first night our eyes were watering and we were having allergy-type runny noses. They'd get better during the day and then after a night in the room they were bad again. I know the hotel is aimed at families but the pools and jacuzzi were so overrun with children that it was really unpleasant for adults. We checked out a day early (sans refund) because we couldn't take the smell, noise, and itchy eyes/runny noses anymore. I also had some type of reaction (detergent, perhaps?) to the sheets and was very itchy on my arms and legs.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The_Dylaness
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2009

We would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write this review. We do take all reviews seriously and use many of these suggestions to make improvements.

We apologize to these guests, if they felt the room was musty. Due to our oceanfront location, we are always challenged with dealing with humidity and salt air.

Our property is and has always been family-friendly, so children are welcomed. It sounds like this guest recognized that we catered to families, by making the comment “I know the hotel is aimed at families” but then added, “the pools and Jacuzzi were overrun with children”. This may be due to the time period in which this guest stayed at our property. From the date of this review, it appears their vacation dates were during the Easter Holiday; a time when we have many families vacationing with us.

We are not sure what may have caused this guest’s eyes to water, or what caused itchy arms and legs. This guest suggested maybe the detergent used to launder the sheets could have been the cause. This of course, could be an individuals’ personal reaction. We have never had anyone ever complain of these symptoms, either before or after this complaint.

Our goal is for all guests to enjoy their vacation at the Sun Viking Lodge and we do feel bad that these guests did not enjoy their stay with us.

We certainly hope that these guests will continue to vacation in Daytona Beach and we feel sure they will find a hotel that will be a perfect fit for their vacation needs.

Reviewed April 20, 2009

We drove down from Atlanta and decided to stay in Daytona Beach for one night before heading to a friends wedding in Ocala. My 8 year old daughter loves water so we chose this hotel due to the many positive reviews and the 60' water slide. Sure enough, she had a blast at the outdoor pool and really enjoyed the water slide. We ventured onto the beach where she was able to dig into the sand and look for shells. The only downside to our one day was that it was very windy so it made it difficult to stay warm . We're looking to come back when it's a little warmer and we can stay a longer.

When we walked into our room we did notice a slightly musty/humid smell. However, I attributed that to out proximity to the beach. The bath tub also did not drain properly but I made a note on the review sheet provided by the front desk upon check-in. Hopefully, someone will address that. Again, as others have stated, this is not the Ritz, but for a great little spot on the beach, it's a great find!

The kitchenette in the room was very convenient and if we were staying longer would have been a huge plus! WI-FI worked really well. Jacuzzi was nice and relaxing!

Reviewed April 13, 2009

Went on the spur of the moment and still had a great time at the Sun Viking Lodge. Only stayed one night but it's one the best hotels for families. They had all kinds of activities(Easter egg hunt, balloon toss, etc.) for the kids besides the pools, play area, and the beach. The little cafe makes a quick inexpensive breakfast or lunch. It was Easter Sunday and they had a free cookout for the guests. We unfortunately missed that but they gave us a cute little basket of chocolate eggs when we got there! The kid's loved that! The pools are clean and relaxing; we really love the indoor pool with the waterfall and plantings and the boys love the 60 ft. slide at the outdoor pool. They're both heated but not overly warm. The rooms are always well maintained with plenty of clean towels. The bedding is a little worn but it's clean and comfortable. When I inquired at the desk about finding a certain bank branch, they printed out a listing for me of locations. They have always been welcoming to my family and once you stay, they give you a discount on future visits. **One warning for all Daytona hotels that are on the driving part of Daytona Beach. Be careful going down to play in the surf and sand. This year(2009) there has been a huge increase in auto vs sunbather accidents and it's only April.**

Reviewed April 8, 2009

This family owned hotel right on the beach was wonderful. The cost of the room through a web site was reasonable. But if you are looking for a hotel that is fancy or elegant then look elsewhere. This is a VERY family oriented, down to earth lodging. The style is like a combination of motel and hotel. ALL the staff members were friendly and helpful. EVERYTHING was clean. The room was spacious and had all the basics and more that we wanted for a room with a kitchen. There was no "motel" smell that I sporadically have encountered. The beds were completely comfortable. The extra cot we ordered was not comfortable though, even for a young child. There is an indoor pool, outdoor pool and small hot tub. There were even a few activities for children and a snack bar that served breakfast & lunch items. I really enjoyed all aspects of my stay there.

Reviewed April 4, 2009

My children and I and another family decided to drive the short distance (we're from Orlando) to Daytona for a a couple of nights. We chose the Sun Viking principally for the reviews found here and the waterslide. Wow-we were disappointed. We found this hotel to be very dated. While the waterslide was functioning, the basketball hoop was being worked on 2 of the 3 days we were there. Upon entering our room we immediately noticed ants in the bathroom and on the dresser. The odor in the room was an odd mix between cleaning supplies and room freshener. I have never seen a bed that had wrinkled sheets and pieces of white paper in it when you pulled back the bedspread. When we checked out I commented on the way that each guest is required to wear an arm band to get near the pool and was given a very annoyed look and quite a rambling lecture on why I should be happy with their system. All in all-I knew we hadn't booked at the Ritz, but still felt we should of been able to expect a clean room with the few desirable ammenities that were promised actually functioning. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Barbara Brown, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2009

We would like to thank this guest for sharing her thoughts and suggestions. We certainly welcome constructive comments; it allows us to find out what is important to our guests and how we can improve. It does upset us that this family was disappointed – our goal is to make every guest happy.

We understand that some guests do not like to wear our pool I.D. bands while using our oceanfront pools and amenities; however, there is a specific reason for this. Because of our popular 60-Foot Waterslide, Outdoor Heated Pool, Heated Indoor Garden Pool, Heated Kiddie Pool, Hot Tub, Large Children’s Playground, Basket Ball Goal, and Poolside Kafe – we attract a lot of people “sneaking up from the beach” If we did not have a way of identifying them from our “paying” guests, it would be unfair and very crowded for our guests, forcing them to share our amenities with these “free-loaders”

Unfortunately, our very popular Basketball Goal was under repair at the time of this guest’s visit. Because of its location on the oceanfront, the bolts had rusted in place, which made it very difficult to remove. In addition, when the new rim was being installed, the holes on the backboard did not match up with the original holes; regretfully, this took longer to remedy we expected.

Certainly, ants in the room would not be inviting and occasionally, we have some due to our tropical climate. Every room is safely treated every month by a national pest control service. No complaint of ants was reported to management either before or after this guest noted she stayed with us. Our normal response would be to either treat the small area where ants were noticed, or move the guest to another room.

Generally, an “odor” from room freshener & disinfectants after a room has been cleaned is not a complaint we often get; however, we do have an Ozone air purifier that can completely remove any unwanted odors in a very short time if a guests has a concern with a smell. I am not sure how “pieces of white paper” got on our sheets – it may have been a part of a dryer sheet. However, this too would have been changed immediately, if brought to management’s attention. Our cotton sheets do show some wrinkles if not instantly folded when taken out of the dryer – this sounds like the case with this complaint.

I agree with this guest, we are not the Ritz nor do we pretend to be. We do try to offer quality accommodations and extensive amenities in a relaxed atmosphere. In addition, our room décor does not equal the Ritz’s nor do our prices; so occasionally, our family-friendly atmosphere does not always appeal to everyone. A large majority of our guests feel our rooms are clean and comfortable, and we are fortunate that, most of our guests are happy with the family experience the Sun Viking Lodge offers.

Again, we sincerely appreciate the review from this guest and we are sure she will find another wonderful hotel; Daytona Beach is a wonderful place to vacation.