“Welcoming restaurant in old house”
Review of The Gables

The Gables
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2015 via mobile

I always like restaurants which are in old houses, divided up into cosy rooms rather than a purpose designed large space with artificial partitions. This one dates back to 1872.
The husband and wife chef/waitress combo add to the feeling of dining in a private home.
The art collection includes heirloom art from the hosts' time in Hamburg. There is also a collection of model German cars.
It's a nice, comfortable place to have a relaxed meal.
The menu is quite short and limited, with mostly fine dining classics and a few German specialities.
The starters were good - onion soup, a green salad with petals and cheese, and a mushroom soup. My wife and I tried the Beef Rouladen, beef rolled with bacon and mustard in a thick dark gravy. I found it too dark and salty and my wife was also unimpressed. Our guest had the duck which was good.
The dessert menu is also a short list of common staples but we had a trifle waiting for us at home. Coffee was good. The wine list was reasonable with several options if you wanted less than a full bottle.
Overall we enjoyed the atmosphere and the hospitality more than the food. For the price I think it's reasonable to expect more.
I would not go out of my way to eat here again, but if I wanted a fine dining meal in Brighton I would come back and choose a different main course.

Reviewed 1 May 2015

I live in Brighton and love this place. Food is always fresh and perfectly prepared...service goes over and above...Kirsten is amazing! Great wine selection as well. A must go to if ever in town!

Reviewed 17 March 2015

I have lived near the Gables for 10 years and went for the first time recently. My husband and I both realized quickly that we have been missing out on a real treat. The food was absolutely delicious and our group of four all ordered a different item so we could compare. Everyone was thrilled with their choices. I think even more delightful than the meal was the warmth and graciousness of the couple who run the restaurant. The husband is the chef and his lovely wife waited on us. I would go back just to have a lovely talk with them again

Reviewed 17 March 2015

Food is always excellent but overpriced. Service is the best. We have been going to the restaurant for year and the menu is boring. Time for a complete makeover.

Reviewed 9 March 2015

Dinner with my husband for our anniversary. Beautiful century home. Attentive staff. Presentation was nice. Serving size was good for me but in all honesty my husband came home and made himself a sandwich afterwards.

3  Thank Kash W