We stayed 2 nights at the Fairfield in August of 2010 as a midpoint stopover for a vacation in Northwestern Wisconsin. I choose this hotel over the others because of the excellent reviews. The hotel is actually located in Weston, which is southeast of Wausau.
The Fairfield is next to the highway, but the drive from the highway to the hotel is a little confusing because you have to drive through an office park and the signs weren’t very clear. Next to the hotel is a large hospital.
At our arrival the front desk worker was surprisingly unfriendly. He made us wait while he made several calls and made no acknowledgement of our presence. After he found we had a special rate, he was argumentative and rude. It took longer than I would have liked to come to an agreeable resolution.
When we finally got to our room, we saw that we had been put next to an electrical room and across from the elevator. The view was the roof above the pool… not very picturesque, but better than looking out to the parking lot.
The room was small, but adequate for two people. We had a king room and found it odd that there was no bathtub, just an oddly placed shower stall. If I would have been told this by the reservations rep, I would have reserved a queen instead.
We looked through the brochures in the lobby in order to find a place to eat a late dinner (we didn’t want to deal with front desk employee again), and ended up in Schofield at a restaurant that was nothing like the advertisement. The restaurant was dirty and full of flies.
That night we turned on the room’s air conditioning and it was extremely loud. When the air conditioner cycled off, I noticed there was a whining noise from the electrical room (which shared a wall with the bed), which came and went. There was also a lot of hallway noise when guests would get on and off the elevator. Needless to say I did not get a good night’s rest on either night of our stay.
We looked to see what was included in the ‘complementary breakfast’, and it wasn’t too appealing, so we went to a restaurant in Schofield (Four Star) which had a wonderful selection to choose from.
Marriot’s website says this hotel offers ‘complimentary USA Today newspaper delivered to your guest room door daily’ but the only copy that I saw was in the lobby.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott of Wausau with easy access from Wisconsin highways US-51, I-39 and WI-29. Our conference center is perfect for weddings and business meetings. Chef Diane Ace can customize breakfast, lunch and dinner for your event or wedding guests. The Wausau Fairfield is minutes from CWA Central Wisconsin Airport, Regal Beloit, Marathon Electric, Wausau Supply, Wausau Financial and Kolbe & Kolbe. Next door is the Weston Regional Medical Center with Ministry Saint Clare’s Hospital and Marshfield Clinic. Visit us for a ski weekend at Granite Peak.The array of choices on our free hot breakfast buffet earn rave reviews from guests, including fresh fruit, scrambled eggs and bacon, oatmeal and Belgian waffle bar. Nearby dining favorites are Brews Brothers Pub, Chang Garden and WISH Wisconsin Steakhouse. This spotless Wausau hotel looks like new, offers free parking and WiFi and boasts an outstanding staff with an unwavering commitment to guest satisfaction. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites Wausau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn And Suites Wausau
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Wausau Hotel Weston
- Fairfield Inn Wausau
- Fairfield Wausau
- Wausau Fairfield Inn