“expected better”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Wausau
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Weston
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Fairfield in August of 2010 as a midpoint stopover for a vacation in Northwestern Wisconsin. I choose this hotel over the others because of the excellent reviews. The hotel is actually located in Weston, which is southeast of Wausau.

The Fairfield is next to the highway, but the drive from the highway to the hotel is a little confusing because you have to drive through an office park and the signs weren’t very clear. Next to the hotel is a large hospital.

At our arrival the front desk worker was surprisingly unfriendly. He made us wait while he made several calls and made no acknowledgement of our presence. After he found we had a special rate, he was argumentative and rude. It took longer than I would have liked to come to an agreeable resolution.

When we finally got to our room, we saw that we had been put next to an electrical room and across from the elevator. The view was the roof above the pool… not very picturesque, but better than looking out to the parking lot.

The room was small, but adequate for two people. We had a king room and found it odd that there was no bathtub, just an oddly placed shower stall. If I would have been told this by the reservations rep, I would have reserved a queen instead.

We looked through the brochures in the lobby in order to find a place to eat a late dinner (we didn’t want to deal with front desk employee again), and ended up in Schofield at a restaurant that was nothing like the advertisement. The restaurant was dirty and full of flies.

That night we turned on the room’s air conditioning and it was extremely loud. When the air conditioner cycled off, I noticed there was a whining noise from the electrical room (which shared a wall with the bed), which came and went. There was also a lot of hallway noise when guests would get on and off the elevator. Needless to say I did not get a good night’s rest on either night of our stay.

We looked to see what was included in the ‘complementary breakfast’, and it wasn’t too appealing, so we went to a restaurant in Schofield (Four Star) which had a wonderful selection to choose from.

Marriot’s website says this hotel offers ‘complimentary USA Today newspaper delivered to your guest room door daily’ but the only copy that I saw was in the lobby.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 March 2010

This was a great place to stay. It was very clean, quiet and had the largest breakfast area I had ever seen. The only thing I could nit pick would be that the blanket on the bed was extremely thin. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank suechucky
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I stayed at this hotel in mid-January with my two young sons while on a short ski trip to Granite Peak. I was very pleased with or stay. Upon arrival, we walked into a very clean lobby with a large fire blazing. An extremely accommodating person helped us check in. The whole hotel was very quite and felt like home. My sons swam in the pool....they were the only ones there. I thought for sure we were the only ones here for the night. The next morning I was proven wrong as the free breakfast area was packed (but still, it did not feel crowded). The food was much better than I was anticipating. Usually you get a small assortment of bagels and cereal, but here they had waffles, hot cereal, and much more.

I will return.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2009

We came with some friends to Wausau to see a concert at a near by bar. We had such a great time again. This is our second stay at this hotel and I am so impressed with the service each time I have stayed. The staff is nice and chatty, they gave a great dinner suggestion to a local steak house called Wish-it was the best steak I have had in years (and believe me I eat them a lot). We were out very late on Friday and missed the breakfast times, but the staff was able to get us something to eat, and they gave us a late check-out. This is the only hotel I will stay in whenever I visit Wausau. Rate was good, service was again excellent.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I stay over 100 nights at year at Marriott chain hotels. I found this Fairfield Inn to be comparable to the Springhill Suites and not your typical Fairfield Inn. Fairfield Inn is the lowest cost of the Marriot chains and caters to business travelers on tighter budgets.

Hotel had great lobby with full continental breakfast. I had a two bed arrangement, so I did not notice anything unique about the room..

The pool and hot tub are bigger then your average Fairfield Inn. This was smart planning as I skied the day at Granite Peak and, like most skiers, it is great to sit in a hot tub after skiing. Also, had bigger then average, workout room.

For those skiing at Granite Peak, the hotel is only a few miles away. The only negative about the hotel, there were not a lot of restaurants right around the hotel.

Highly recommend the hotel. You are paying for a Fairfield Inn, not Four Seasons.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We made arrangements to stay at this hotel on 1/9/09, after reading all of the great reviews on this website. We were really disappointed!!!
On a positive, the staff were friendly and professional, the place was clean, and the room was ready at the designated time.
On a negative, you should know that NONE of the king bed rooms have bathtubs. NONE!!! When we checked in for our romantic getaway, the room we were given had the most bizarre bathroom I'd ever seen. The toilet and sink were fine, but the shower is located behind the bathroom door, with ugly brown tiles (on the walls and floor...they didn't match the flooring or the sink...it was very odd), a cheap thin plastic curtain, and handicapped support bars everywhere. I felt like I was at a nursing home from the 1980's!!! Not what I had envisioned. I thought we must have accidentally been placed in a handicapped room. So I went down to the front desk, explained my concern, and was told that, no that is not a handicapped room, that is how all of the king room bathrooms are. The front desk clerks (there were 2) both remarked that "who-ever planned this hotel wasn't thinking" and that they get this complaint all of the time. They politely offered to get us a room at the nearby Holiday Inn...they said that is what they have been told to do when people complain about this issue! Well, I didn't want to make too big of a deal, so I said we would take a room with 2 queen beds, which had a normal typical bathroom with a tub and without the bizarro brown tiles and handicapped bars everywhere. It was just as well, because the queen rooms are much bigger than the king bed rooms. The king bed rooms are tiny...just enough room to walk around the bed and that's it....feels like a hotel room from NYC.
On another note, this hotel was loaded with sports teams of small kids. The pool was full of kiddies, and there was a constant parade of toddlers, school age kids, and their mother's in bathrobes and swimsuits walking through the halls and lobbies. The matresses were new but bargain basement....no pillowtops here!!! Also the pillows were all polyester. Finally, please note that the beds have a bottom sheet, a top sheet, a thin polyester 1 ply blanket (like you'd find at Kmart for less than $10), and is then topped with another top sheet over it. In the photos it looks like a duvet, but it is not! It is just a simple 1-ply polyester blanket (not even a comforter), wedged between 2 sheets! So needless to say it was a cold and uncomfortable bed!
So, buyer beware! I am absolutely baffled by the high rating for this hotel. On a positive, the staff were nice, the rooms are clean, and the breakfast is quite good. On a negative, this hotel has tiny king bed rooms, handicapped/nursing home style bathrooms in the king bedrooms, and cheap matresses and bedding. I think that it is likely on par with much less expensive hotels. Next time I will pay a bit more for a better hotel!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank tklapierre
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We booked a block of rooms with our sports team. The front desk staff was so helpful! They offered a private conference room for team, but the eating area/lobby/breakfast area was so large that it wasn't needed. They gave us info on favorite pizza places for delivery, provided us with plastic bags for party clean-up, and gave us highlighted maps to find our sports venue.
The hotel was always clean, and staff never rude to these team members, inspite of their youthful exuberance.
Pool was clean, small, but perfect for our group.
Rooms were clean.
I encourage guests to just ask if something is needed, and this hotel staff is quite accomodating.
The area where the hotel is located is new, suburban, with a Cousins Sub's nearby, and medical center on the same grounds.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
5.7 km away
6.4 km away
Days Inn & Suites Wausau
5.7 km away
Best Western Plus Wausau-Rothschild Hotel

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Wausau? Share your experiences!