“Great Staff, Serene Location - Perfect Short weekend Getaway”

The Raviz Resort and Spa, Ashtamudi
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Kollam
Hyderabad, India
“Great Staff, Serene Location - Perfect Short weekend Getaway”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The best feature of The Raviz is its team. Get set of folks all around be it front desk, staff at the Riverside resturant, security great set of folks. We traveled with our 1year old daughter and the staff made us feel real comfortable with challenges that come with infants.

The hotel in itself has a great location, with lovely view of the Lake. I must say few other Hotels have better view of the lake but this is nothing to complain.

The rooms are comfortable, clean with bath tubs. Even though warm water may not be required but you may have to request warm water to the staff before the boiler gets switched on. Wifi is not free and is charged. The rates are extremely high.

The resturant is good with great staff. Extremely friendly and nice with kids. The food was good. The dinner buffet could have been better considering similar hotels have better spread and quality. Still nothing to complain and I am sure local and international traveler can find something that they will enjoy.

Traveler may try the overnight stay at the house boat, we were not aware of this but should be good fun. The evening cruise was good fun and was pleasant.

Overall great experience and a definite recommend. One catch everything comes at a price which will be higher than any other place in Kollam.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
Joensuu, Finland
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The location is simply to die for and the rooms and food are of top notch quality, if you simply don't care about money. I especially loved the jacuzzi. We had spend our new year in this place and though the recreational program and party was not worth the money, the buffet dinner was superb. All this is topped by a very well kept lawn and houseboat ride. The overall wonderful stay was a bit marred by an experience in the end when we got into a slight argument with the hotel personnel when they overcalculated the total amount, otherwise the service was very good. So keep track of what you spend and use in the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hobbes_84
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Fabulous new 5 star hotel set up high on the banks of the Ashtamudi Lake in Kollam. Every room or suite with splendid views of the lake. Stunning entrance hall and reception. Multi-cuisine restaurants and a fantastic health spa. A hotel you can really relax in, eat well, enjoy a moonlight cruise around the lake and be treated like a Maharaja.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor suites but costly.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We booked a 4 night stay as part of our honeymoon. The hotel is pretty new and in great condition as you'd expect. Beautiful grounds and setting, and even the cheaper rooms are of an excellent standard. We got a good deal off Expedia and this was amazing value for money. We weren't happy with the building noise outside our room so they moved us to a quieter room, even moving all the clothes we'd unpacked for us. The sunset cruise (free, daily) is wonderful. And complimentary tea, coffee and snacks for everyone at 4pm is a great touch. The food was excellent, and the staff were amazing. Some of the best we encountered in Kerala. We were very sad to leave!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Natlefox
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The location and view for this new hotel is wonderful and it may that I was just unlucky BUT should anyone ever be unlucky in a five star hotel? The hotel was extremely busy with a conference at which I was a guest speaker. I arrived after a four hour drive to find mayhem for my driver to gain access to the hotel. We were initially refused entry and after argument and 10 minutes we were allowed into driveway. Check-in was polite and efficient but after arriving into my room I discovered it had not been cleaned. The bathroom towels, floor were wet and soap etc used. The bed also needed remaking and some of the previous guest's leftovers were still present. The room was reasonably quickly cleaned as I waited. Then I discovered when I came to shower no soap etc. I later thought to have a cup of tea and found no facilities. My friend in next room said I should have tea maker. I called reception to be told they would look into it. After sometime I went to see them to be informed either it had been broken or it had gone missing and maybe they had another. I said also mini bar was empty...they were quick to come to offer to replenish but of course, am I being cynical, this means them making money off the guests? I was told the room had not been serviced because they did not know previous guest had vacated...which begs the question, "How come they allocated it to me then?"
After asking about tea maker an hour later informed I could have complimentary tea on room service. I did not want this...I wanted tea when I wanted it...not having to wait and be disturbed. It also should not take so long for even an offer to be made in a 5 star hotel. GOOD SERVICE is of PARAMOUNT importance. Then I discovered that the Internet is only available at about £2.50 per half hour...not something I have found before at 5 star hotels. The door to wardrobe hits the fire alarm if you try to open it fully. The bedside lights have no switches to turn them off from bedside...you have to get out of bed to plugs sockets on wall. In the morning light discovered floor had broken peanuts on rugs and under rugs. I lost confidence in service and hotel, so did not even bother with breakfast...in fact decided not to eat anything at the hotel. As I was going to speak in front on 1200 people or so, I decided to stick to water !!!
Management during my stay and as I left came up with all sorts of reasons for the poor service...and I politely pointed out that in 5 star hotel guests are not interested in reasons. We want and expect GOOD SERVICE. Does a tea making machine going missing or being broke mean they carry no spares!!! .I am somewhat disappointed to give this hotel such a rating as it has the potential to be a wonderful hotel given its location and ambiance...but if I can be unlucky...so may you...unless they can guarantee to "get their 5 star act" together. But to top it all...reception, when I was leaving, tried to charge me for Business Internet access when I had never used any !!!

Room Tip: The room I had overlooked the river and had a small balcony...very quiet and a tranquil restful outl...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank travelaurauk
Raviz, General Manager at The Raviz Resort and Spa, Ashtamudi, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Dear Mr Roshall,

Thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent stay as well as on the significant service failures you experienced. We regret and apologize for the fact that we did not achieve the standards that we strive for and that you expect. I have reviewed the areas of concern with my managers and will be following up to ensure that there are no such further occurrences.
Regarding the stopping of vehicle: which was not actually from the hotel side but it was from the group members itself where they had a pass system for their guest entry & to allow their vehicles inside.
Regarding the room cleanliness & The Left Over– The room was actually checked in on 13th itself & occupied by Mr. Suresh Mathew(same group). On 14th by evening Mr. Suresh Mathew came to reception and informed as that Mr Roshall will be sharing the room with him. As per Mr. Suresh mathew’s instruction we gave the key .
Mini Bar: As per the instruction of Group Coordinator mini Bar was supposed to be removed from all group rooms. Hence it was removed .But once you requested for mini bar it was replenished immediately.
Tea Maker: On this occasion we had offered the best option of having complimentary tea coffee any time in the room.
Internet Charges: Mr. Roshall wanted to use the WI FI & we informed that the same would be chargeable. At the time of departure there was a bill of WI FI for which was actually used by Mr. Suresh Mathew who was sharing the room. Later he settled the same
Thank you and we hope to be able to welcome you back to Kerala to make amends and provide you with our customary high levels of service. Please let me know when you plan a return visit to Kerala, as it would be my pleasure to take care of arrangements to ensure a faultless stay.

Regards
Jayachandran
GM
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Initially when we saw those photos - we thought they were just professionally taken to make it look more grandeur. To our pleasant surprise we realised the photographer did not have to try too hard. I was impressed by how much effort has been put into the construction of this hotel. The hotel has an impressive architecture - according to the brochure its based on Travancore architecture. The staff were courteous and the service was excellent. The food was delicious as well (breakfast was included in our package). We went around new years and we really enjoyed ourselves. It has a larger than normal pool size (very happy it was so clean) which we used a lot - with the sun on our backs (30 degrees). This hotel is right on the banks of Ashtamudi backwater lake surrounded by beautiful palm trees. Take the free sunset cruise in their beautiful boat at 5.00 and don't miss the tea/coffee time from 4.30 to 5.00 which is complementary and they serve some local salty snacks.
A very pleasurable experience for us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ashtamudi lake.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruchir T
Mumbai
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We were on a Kerala-Holiday and had booked a room with breakfast, lunch and dinner included.Check-in was smooth, but the room left much to be desired.Wi-Fi was not working and we had to seek their assistance.Toilets were extremely cramped and devoid of basic toiletries.I read about rooms with a Jacuzzi, but for the record we had none.Housekeeping: Horrible.We were out for a sunset cruise and when we returned, we found our room cleaned.We did not request them through a door-card or otherwise and found this intrusive and when my husband complained,they just told us that..we will look into it.I guess the fact that they had 3 rooms occupied and hence their on-duty staff just cleaned up so as to retire early!This is all that comes to my mind.Food:My husband is an insulin dependent diabetic and we were shocked when the same and limited food was offered day and night on a laminated card.There was no choice for anything ! Furthermore, food was restricted and not replenished.When we protested,we were informed that this was due to low occupancy and that they do this from Monday to Friday.Please if you book do ensure that you have a buffet on offer.This was also not there due to low occupancy.Ditto for their spa.We checked in at around 1330 hrs and were awakened/disturbed from sleep at 1645 hrs informing us to go on a sunset cruise.Right from their room size/cramped washroom/lack of amenities/offer of restricted,same and stale food/intrusion of privacy by their staff when they open and clean our room without our consent we found this hotel wanting in these most important aspects.I would like to highlight that both me and my husband survived on cookies at night and slept hungry for the first time in our lives.Is this how guests are treated.If they have low occupancy they are anyways charging regular tariff which is also higher in lieu of the above.I have my reservations about this hotel.I don't see any justification as to why i should book a stay with this hotel or recommend this hotel to anyone in here.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Ami_Panddya
Raviz, Manager at The Raviz Resort and Spa, Ashtamudi, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Guest,

After six months you have posted the same letter in different name , which we could not figure out the reason for the same.

Jay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kollam
0.4 km away
Club Mahindra Ashtamudi
#1 of 1 in Thekkumbhagam
23.9 km away
The Gateway Hotel Janardhanapuram Varkala

Been to The Raviz Resort and Spa, Ashtamudi? Share your experiences!