See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 30, 2017 via mobile

We stayed one night at Marrucola on the Via Francigena walk booked by Caminoways, the company we did the walk through.

This hotel is unsuitable for walkers as it is quite a distance from towns and shops. We walked from Alto Pascio and having to continue through San Miniato Basso and Alto to Marrucola made it a 30km day (in 30 degree heat!).

We arrived at 5.10pm feeling tired and hungry but were told dinner would be served at 8pm - or 8.30pm - or 7.30pm!! After showering we went down to the dining room at 7.30pm, the time we agreed to but were directed to sit by the pool and have a drink (not included in half board).

We waited and waited while a birthday party function for a young child continued. Finally at 8.45pm we were asked to move to the dining area. The only other diners were the manager and his family and friends. There was no menu, no explanation of what food was available and no choice.

We were given a plate of hors d'oeuvres most of which looked dry and unappetising (leftovers from the birthday party buffet??).

This was followed by a plate of luke warm pasta ragu. Then we were asked if we wanted anything else but the only choice was Florentine steak. At 9.20pm we did not feel able to tackle a steak so made do with a mixed salad.

Finally left the table at 10pm after a very disappointing meal where we felt like outsiders and a nuisance.

This hotel is obviously set up for functions and large groups - not for couples. Because we spoke only English and the management couldn't speak English communication was very limted.

We were concerned that breakfast would be a repeat performance but I'm very happy to say the buffet was ready at the agreed time and provided a decent choice of food.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2015

One reviewer commented about google maps mislocating Marrucola - which it does. However, if you look on streetview and follow the road out of town, you soon come across a little church on the right, and the entrance is immediately after (only about 600m from the San Miniato car park). It really isn't very far.

We found this to be a very friendly place with a refreshingly relaxed attitude to check-out time. Our room was in a block separate to the restaurant, and looking the other way, so we had a very peaceful night. We were in a triple room with a single and double bed. There was very effective air conditioning which was extremely quiet. The bathroom was clean and the shower strong.

Breakfast was a buffet with all the usual items including a cake (see picture).

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2015

Went to San Miniato to attend a wedding but it's not convenient to stay at the Marrucola unless you rent a car as it is remote and difficult to find. Google Maps placed it about 2km away from its true location but thankfully I managed to wheel my suitcase up and down 2km of road with no pavement in the searing heat and felt an air of euphoria as I finally got to the place and had a dip in the pool which had a lot of people in but it was fine. Was riddled with mosquito bites on the first night and the air con had no remote to keep the coolness down so I had to get up through the night to take cold showers in order to try to sleep. Was knackered the next day and in the end I stayed somewhere else for the rest of my trip, not because I hated this place so much but because of it's inconvenient location. Would be fine if you're there to get involved in their wine tours, which I didn't ask about. There is only one taxi driver in the whole of San Miniato so ask the hotel to call him well in advance if you need him. Reception only works about 8 hours per day here so if you have any questions you might have to wait for someone to come out of the kitchen but there's no guarantee this person will speak English. Awful wifi here. Nice view of the Tuscan countryside. Breakfast is very limited but there was a kind of lemon cake that I think was homemade and was delicious.

Room Tip: I chose the suite but I wouldn't bother with it again. No real benefit.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Claudio C, Proprietario at Marrucola, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2015

Hello,
We're disappointed when read the comments that have no sense .
I reply immediately explaining that your complaints are false
How can you say that the Marrucola is not in a good position? ? is exactly 700 mt from the village and still enjoys lighting of the highway .
The air conditioning works perfectly , the next time before you say it's broken and write a review try to ask at staff
The reception is 9-13 15-19 but there is always someone , since my family lives here.
In San Miniato there is only one taxi but we are available for our guests ( just ask )
For the wine tour (again you have asked nothing ! )

Breakfast is simple and genuine

we Appreciate the criticism that help us improve but this is without reasons , probably the holiday on a farm is not for you !

Reviewed July 16, 2015

We were here last year for a perfect 24 hours. The Room was huge & airy, the pool was perfect, the setting was gorgeous but the best of it was Ezio & his family & staff. They were so welcoming we felt very much at home. We had walked over 35km so were exhausted on arrival. Ezio's cheerful & generous hospitality quickly had us feeling relaxed & happy. The food was excellent. I'm allergic to milk & eggs. That didnt cause any problem at all. We had a delicious meal with great local wines. We couldnt recommend this place enough. Gillian.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2015 via mobile

We had a fantastic stay at Marrucola. The host Ezio was very nice and made sure that everybody was entertained. The appartments were spacious and clean and the beds were very comfortable! The dinner at Marrucola was also amazing! 5-courses of Italian deliciousness. In the evening after dinner, Ezio entertained us all with some karaoke and I have to say: this man can sing! Amazing. The other guests were also not to shy to do some karaoke, so that made for a very enjoyable and entertaining evening. Thanks for everything!

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family