“Sleepless nights”

Bobcaygeon Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bobcaygeon
Reviewed 22 May 2017

Waterview room was a little tired, but fairly clean with jacuzzi tub. Reservation manager was helpful with room changes prior to arrival.
First night was very noisy, people visiting other rooms until the wee hours. No security on front door, no hotel staff present, other than restaurant and bar where we picked up our key. Wifi info was not available. Second night was very noisy with a domestic dispute. With no one around, we debated calling the police. Not recommended.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 December 2016

We were there for a wedding, the room we stayed in was great, huge bathroom.
The AC was a little weak, and the fireplace looked beautiful. We were there in September. It also happened to be the weekend of the "Tragically Hip" last concert in Kingston, but was broadcast in Bobcaygeon, where the stars come out one at a time! The star was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2016

When in town I have been staying at The Bobcaygeon Inn for over 20 years, through ownership changes/updates, and NEVER have I had as horrible a visit as this last stay. Previously my favourite rooms were always #4 or #5 as they have lovely views of the river and while a bit dated, generally decent rooms. This visit I was in #6 and was completely disgusted. It faces the main street (noisy) and none of the windows can be opened leaving the room with a stale, musty smell. As it was summer and quite hot out I had to use the wall 'air conditioner' unit, which is a term, I use loosely. It rattled constantly and sounded like a jet airplane was in the room, which made it very difficult to sleep or even to watch television, as the sound was brutal. I tried the Jacuzzi tub, which was pleasant enough yet not all the jets worked and it too was very noisy. Few amenities in the room and the worn towels had been heavily bleached leaving them quite rough. When I was ready to go to bed I started to pull the covers back and remove the 'decor' pillows only to find 3 small little black cylinder type shapes on one of the main sleeping pillows. Upon closer examination I could see very clearly that it was MOUSE POO!!!!!! No question about it whatsoever as I've seen it before and knew exactly what I was seeing. Unfortunately it was quite late and there was no one around to complain to. I did not get one minute of decent sleep as I had one eye open the entire night expecting a mouse to run across me at any moment and of course I did not use any of the pillows. The next morning I had to leave by 8:30 yet there was no one around to speak with about this incident. It's a shame the current owners have let the Inn come to this state because the location is fantastic, they've got a great waterfront patio and the wait/bar staff are pretty good in service and friendliness. The food was a little inconsistent compared to what I'd had experienced in the past and I'm sorry to see what has become of this once beautiful, highly respected Inn. I will not stay there again after this last visit.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank LDTZone
Reviewed 13 September 2016

Our room had a good view from the windows.
The entire place is tired and from the look of the furniture in the room, it was collected at second hand stores or garage sales! The carpet was badly stained and the air conditioner in the window at the end of the room, didn't do much for the rest of the place except disturb as it ran all night!
The large window in the bathroom had a great view of other rooms, I ended up taping the blinds to the window frame for privacy. Frosted glass would be an improvement.
For the price charged, I felt like we were robbed.
On the plus side, it is within walking distance of the downtown area, where there are plenty of places to eat. There is a swing bridge across the canal which was interesting to watch.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Pam M
Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

Very basic inn, overdo for an update. We stayed recently 2 nights to attend a wedding. The carpet was stained, bedspreads were old and the pillows had no form to them. The bathroom had very little privacy due to the 2 large windows that were installed poorly. One is set back in the frame so that the blinds have a big gap and the other is set forward making the gap even worse. The lady that checked us in (in the bar as the reception office was closed) was nice and the gentleman that we saw when we were leaving (who I guess works there but there was no indication that he did) said we could just leave our key in the door. We kept the noisy air conditioner running both nights to drown out the noise from the bar below. Thankfully Saturday night karaoke wasn't as loud as we feared. The downstairs restaurant didn't open till 1pm which is very odd and inconvenient. I probably wouldn't stay again if in the area unless some changes were made, nor will I recommend it to anyone else.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Denise M
Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

The visit started off with a bad vibe. There was a sign on the front office door that said if you are checking in speak to someone at the bar. When we went in the decor was a little run Down, but not off putting at first. We checked in fine and paid up front for the room. The lady at the bar was pleasant and checked us in no problem.

We were booked into room number six, in the first building. The outside doors of the building seemed to be propped open all the time which caused the hallways to be full of moths and flies. There were cobwebs on the lamps lining the hallways that had looked like they had never been cleaned. Upon first entering the room bugs flew out the door as I opened it. I started to walk around to see how the room was before putting my stuff down.

The first thing I noticed was this terrible stain on the curtain hanging over the bed that I could not tell what it was. I often travel for work and have stayed in a lot of hotels so I have a routine and certain things that I check when I get into a room, one of these things is lifting up the mattress to check cleanliness. Upon doing so I found something that I think was cake underneath the mattress. At that point I told my wife to not put her stuff down because we were not staying in the room.

We took our things and went to one of our friends rooms who was also staying at the inn. Her room besides just having outdated decor was fine. My wife and I went back downstairs to talk to the women at the bar about our room and tell her that it was disgusting. She seemed surprised but also angry that we told her we would not be staying.

As we were waiting at the bar another member of our party came down to complain that their bed sheets were full of someone's hair and the bedside table was filled with half eaten snacks.
She apologized for it and said that this thing never happens. She promptly refunded us our money and we ended up staying in our friends room on her extra bed.

Upon staying in the room it had a odd smell to it and you could very clearly hear the music and people in the bar downstairs. The washroom for the bar seemed to be on our floor and you could hear people walking drunk through the hallway most of the night.

On the day we were checking out, a man in the hallway saw I was taking my bags to the car asked me to make sure I put the sign on the door so that he knows to come and clean it.

Judging by the issues we had I can say I don't believe that this a isolated incident.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

This restaurant has great food. It's overlooking the water and is a very nice setting. The only issue is some of the staff. Get the rigjt waitress and your visit is excellent. Get the wrong one and you can wait for ever even for the bill. Overall I would recommend it

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bobcaygeon
26.2 km away
1.0 km away
Avian Woods Bed & Breakfast
Avian Woods Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 8 in Bobcaygeon

Been to Bobcaygeon Inn & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!