“Fab village cafe ”
Review of Avenue Cafe

Avenue Cafe
Cuisines: Greek, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bristol's foremost family run cafe at the forefront of the regions cafe scene since 2000.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I regularly visit this cafe with friends and family. The staff are very welcoming and the food is of a high standard. I have no complaints and will continue visiting.

Costas K, Owner at Avenue Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review the cafe.

Your comments are very kind and I will pass this on to our wonderful staff.

Reviewed March 29, 2018

Definitely the best on offer in Emersons Green and FAR better than any of the local chains.

With it being the first week of the school Easter holidays the cafe was super busy, but there were plenty of staff on, all of whom were very efficient. Tables were cleared quickly, the toilet facilities very clean and nobody appeared to have to wait overly long for their order.

We had the soup, which was extremely tasty and good value. We'll definitely go again and this time try the incredibly tempting-looking cakes!

If there's any downside, my friend and I both found the acoustics harsh - but if you sit towards the rear of the cafe the space copes much better with noise and you're able to hear one another!

Costas K, Owner at Avenue Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2018

Hi

Thanks for your review of the cafe and for your great comments.

It can get a bit loud when extra busy and we are looking at cost effective ways to reduce this where possible.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 20, 2018 via mobile

We came here with our newborn baby (who slept the whole time thankfully!) and had a fantastic lunch. Coffee to begin was delicious and, nice and hot. Lunch was off the specials board; halloumi salad fritters and a chicken, chorizo and tomato panini. Both very yummy!

Such a great, friendly atmosphere, we will definitely be back!!

Costas K, Owner at Avenue Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2018

Many thanks for your review of the cafe.

Glad you enjoyed your lunch and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

We come here almost every Saturday after the local park run and we are always given a great meal by friendly and welcoming staff. The atmosphere is relaxing and is for me the perfect start to my weekend. I always have the perfectly poached eggs, tasty smoked salmon with tomatoes and mushrooms. They always do the best pots of tea too.

Costas K, Owner at Avenue Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2018

Vincent hi.

It is great to be appreciated and liked in this way. Your comments are warm and sincere and I thank you for this. We try to be as welcoming as possible and our staff are always there to welcome and help.

Your support is much valued and has helped the cafe to become what it is.

Reviewed March 6, 2018 via mobile

Really wanted to like the Avenue. Mostly as there’s not a whole lot of choice locally and value small independent businesses very much. Sadly our trip today was way below expectations set by the lovely new premises.

2 freshly squeezed Orange juices (served with a slice but sadly no ice) for £3 each! Nice juice but we both remarked we wished we’d checked the price when given the choice!!

Caffe latte scorchingly hot - a common mistake that some places seem to make (usually where the people making the coffee haven’t really been trained how to make Italian style coffee).

Most disappointing were the sausages. Baguette was good bread, but OMG these are the cheap catering sausages favoured by cheap transport cafe’s (with prices to match usually). The choice was poor considering the new premises have been furnished to give the impression of better quality.

Overall, a great job on the design, look and feel of the place but could learn a lot about improving the quality of the food and drink (and pricing) to live up to their new furnishings. Think Boston’s, Lounges, Coffee no1’s but being fed the cheapest sausages they could find. What a shame!

Hi SixKinds!

I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to firstly, visit the cafe and secondly to write your review. All comments and feedback are much appreciated.

Whilst I found your comments and two star rating to be a little harsh we pride ourselves on offering a great selection of good quality products, not just breakfast items but an extensive offering of cafe food and drinks, together with friendly and efficient staff in an inviting environment.

We have our own style which we have largely kept over our 18 year tenure tweaking and modifying as we have evolved. We do not set out to be something we are not and do not follow others. We have in fact inspired others to go on and open their own versions of what we do and have been around longer than some of the other establishments you mention in your comments.

I don't think you have appreciated what we stand for and who I am as a person and what we want to offer to our patrons. We have a strong work ethos and values transmitted through our wonderful staff. We are also not a faceless organisation but a family run independent venue, which is becoming increasingly harder to find as the chains continue to dominate the high street. Our local following is huge and extremely loyal so we must be doing something right!

With regards the price of the orange juice, as you seem to be widely traveled and have visited similar businesses you will see that we are in keeping with others regarding our pricing. The orange juice price is displayed on the wall menu and in the table menus, sorry if you missed this. At the same time you were served freshly squeezed orange juice, using chilled oranges, unlike some of the venues you refer to who serve processed orange juice dispensed from a milk style plastic bottle. We do not serve ice with this or other chilled drinks unless a customer so requests. All you had to do in this instance was ask for some ice.

We have a policy of serving our hot drinks hot unlike many places who chose to serve lukewarm beverages. If it was too hot in your case then I can only apologise for this. Please don't suggest we have little experience in the art of coffee making or give inferior training to our staff. This most certainly is not the case.

We use a traditional pork breakfast sausage in our traditional breakfast. It is not a cheap sausage as you imply, neither is it a fancy sausage. One of the difficulties that a catering establishment has is that of managing customer expectations. Some establishments have Cumberland style sausages, is this what you were expecting, and flat/portobello mushrooms and so on. This is not what we serve and we are known for our healthy grilled and oven cooked breakfasts. It is a good quality and good value breakfast and priced accordingly.

It is not clear from your review if you are a regular visitor, from your comments, I think not. You seem to have judged us on one solitary food item. I would encourage you to visit us again and perhaps to be a little adventurous and try something else from the menu.

We are all quick to criticize, me included as I am very fussy when I go out because when I see standards lower than my own it frustrates, however, we try very hard to please everyone but we all know this is not possible. We all have different tastes and standards.

If I knew your name it would be a little more personal!

So SixKinds please come again and introduce yourself and I would be happy to buy you a coffee or perhaps a juice (with ice).

Regards