“Accommodating All Round”
other traveller has booked this property
A room with a view
Views to the north Dining to kitchen
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Views to the north
Dining to kitchen
Kitchen to dining and lounge
A cosy fire
The front bedroom
Views to the north from 80 metres!
Where Stroudover sits...
Romantic piggies
Game terrine
White asparagus soup garnish
My favourite raviolo
...or perhaps yabby sausage?
The only way to eat venison
Pork main course
Broken egg
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Sydney, Australia
“Accommodating All Round”
Reviewed October 29, 2017 for a stay in September 2017
person found this review helpful

Where do I start? I spent weeks searching the internet for an Australian live-in cooking experience to celebrate 30 years of marriage, and found virtually nothing that suited what I was looking for (plenty of cooking classes and one bring-your-own-minimum-of-10-group option, but that was all). I was beginning to think I was searching using the wrong terms, when I hit on the idea of searching for specific food courses, like cheese and sausage making. "Cooking course" was clearly too general. Through this process I found Stroudover Cottage and brilliant chef Patrick. His advertised options on the website suited us in part, but I wanted to know if we could combine a few things and cook particular things.
What's great about Patrick's offerings is the minimum is just two people at a very reasonable rate including expert tuition and guidance and onsite accommodation. Patrick is old-school at heart and decided to call me directly to discuss options. I remember him saying "we can do anything at Stroudover Cottage" (during our 45-minute conversation), and so I put him to the test. We decided to combine a two-day cooking course with a fresh cheese-making day and planned to stay 3 nights. On top of that, Patrick asked what we'd like to learn, so 4 of us (we roped in 2 friends) each supplied culinary areas that included: sous vide, pastry-making, pickles, sauces (that was just me), Thermomix, vegetarian, soups and pies. No way did we think he'd cover all these things, but he did (and more).
A few days before leaving home, one of our 4 informed us that, for medical reasons, she had to go dairy and gluten free, which, of course, I passed on to Patrick. Although our cooking days had already been well planned out, Patrick managed to change things around to cater for my friend's change of diet.
We arrived at Stroudover Cottage (after a few days R&R on the South Coast) with me having contracted the flu and the other three showing symptoms. We struggled through day one but fell, one by one, and by morning day two we were all bed-ridden. I contacted Patrick to cancel the rest of the cooking course and the cheesemaking day, but he kindly offered us time to recuperate at Stroudover Cottage so we could finish both things. We stayed two extra nights, and Patrick generously made time for us despite having now picked up the flu.
Stroudover Cottage itself has everything you need, is modern and very well-maintained. The location is stunning with open land around and hills in the distance. Bega and Merimbula aren't far away and we went back to Sydney via Cooma which is a great drive.
The area provides lots of local produce that Patrick makes use of when in season. Patrick makes all types of cheeses and small goods, some of which can be found in the fridge upon arrival. We had bacon, blue cheese, home-made sausages and fresh bread, all part of the Stroudover experience.
The cooking course was full-on but very rewarding and instructive. For day two, Patrick reverted to demonstration mode due to our health and we managed to complete everything in his program.
To say Patrick was accommodating would be an understatement. He went well beyond the call of duty and was much more flexible than you would expect from a host. We plan to return in good health and take up the option of Patrick cooking a dinner for us and some friends.

29 Oct 2017
Thank you David, indeed a full week! Dinner will be far more restful...I look forward to seeing you all again, in good health!
LittleCro...
“Divine”
Reviewed September 6, 2017 for a stay in August 2017

I booked the truffle degustation as a surprise for my husbands 30th birthday. Everything about the Stroudover experience was sensational. The cottage is beautiful and it takes no time at all to settle in and feel right at home. The food was nothing short of exceptional. All of the little details have been considered. It was beautiful, theatrical and downright delicious. Patrick and Heike are wonderful hosts and strike the perfect balance between being attentive without being overbearing. It was an indulgent break that we will never forget and look forward to doing all over again in the not too distant future. We couldn't recommend the Stroudover cottage experience more highly.

6 Sep 2017
Thank you guys, it was just brilliant to cook for you too! Until the next time...
Bernadett...
“Dr”
Reviewed August 12, 2017 for a stay in August 2017
person found this review helpful

We discovered this exceptional experience through word of mouth, which as we all know is one of the best way to find perfection.

I call it an experience rather than a "farm stay" or "accomodation" because that is what you come here for.

Patrick is an exceptionally talented and experienced chef who is generous with his knowledge. So far we have been for cheese, small goods and signature dishes courses. All have been packed with information and fun. We have learnt so much.

If you want to lean in a fun and relaxing atmosphere or if you want a romantic weekend away or just come down with some friends for a rest in the country this is the place for you.

14 Aug 2017
Thank you for your lovely review B, I don't know where the three days went to but, as is often the case here, time flies...
Until the next time.
Z4884GDan...
Moruya
“Fabulous place to relax and enjoy good food”
Reviewed August 8, 2017 for a stay in February 2017
person found this review helpful

Very relaxing place to stay with all amenities that you need included. The cooking classes and cheese and sausage making workshops with Patrick are wonderful and extremely informative. Patrick ensures that the classes are fun and friendly. What better way to end a relaxing weekend than eating good food that you have prepared in such a great environment. Can't wait to go again.

9 Aug 2017
Thank you Anne. The time just flies by when you are having fun...until the next time.
ChrisShin...
Ulladulla, Australia
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed August 5, 2017 for a stay in May 2016
person found this review helpful

Our Stroudover Cottage stay, a venue recommended by a friend, was a birthday treat for my wife, and surpassed our already high expectations. The Cottage is well appointed and in a lovely secluded location. The garden area is well fenced, ideal for our wandering Beagle. From favourite ingredients pre-specified, chef (and owner) Patrick, working in the Cottage kitchen, prepared the most magnificent and imaginative five course dinner, while we watched on in anticipation. Breakfast was equally impressive and set us up for the day. We are looking forward to our next visit.

6 Aug 2017
Thank you for you lovely review, we hope to see you back again too.
edwina-sc...
Brisbane, Australia
“Eat, drink, fall asleep: A chef’s table like no other”
Reviewed July 30, 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

Stroudover Cottage is like nothing we’re ever experienced before.

My partner and I had the pleasure of visiting the cottage for a chef’s table dinner to celebrate a milestone birthday with family.

We were treated to a five-course dinner (and a couple of surprise courses too).

The food blew our socks off. Everything was packed full of fresh, local flavours and we were lucky enough to be there during truffle season.

Patrick, the wonderful host and chef, is clearly passionate about what he does and you can see and taste the love and care that goes into every dish. He is amazingly creative when it comes to flavours, presentation and even the way you eat the dish. He manages to create an evening that is sophisticated, playful and relaxing.

I’m allergic to gluten and have come to accept that there’ll be dishes I’ll miss out on, but not at Stroudover Cottage. Patrick made a gluten free alternative for every course. I’m talking freshly baked breads (that actually tasted like real bread) and delicious golden pastries.

And it doesn’t end with the food.

There is nothing like enjoying a wonderful meal with your loved ones and then being able to fall asleep in front of a fire. No long drive home, no designated drivers, just all the good stuff.

Edwina & Scott

1 Aug 2017
Thank you for your glowing review Edwina, I hope the recipes work for you and I hope to see you both again next time you are in this neck of the woods.
DEAR8888
“Quiet Getaway”
Reviewed July 29, 2017 for a stay in December 2016
people found this review helpful

Beautiful cottage, surrounded by gorgeous gardens & mountain views. Hosts were wonderful & friendly. We did a cheese workshop whilst we were there which was a fun challenge and kept us entertained for the day. Would highly recommend to anyone that was looking for a quiet escape, or a countryside stopover on the way to the south coast.

30 Jul 2017
Thank you Dixie and Keaton, and the cheese went a very long way!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing