“Worth a visit! Just be careful on food choice”
Review of Bistro 42

Bistro 42
Ranked #5 of 43 Restaurants in Ossett
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited Bistro 42 in ossett on the 19th October to celebrate my birthday with some family.
The decor is lovely, with a warm welcoming feeling. The bar staff were really nice and had a really good selection of drinks available, from IPA's to fancy cocktails.
The menu has a wide variety of options to choose from.
The starters we had were the Peking duck, salt & pepper chicken and a nacho sharer.
All of these were sublime! I would recommend these, especially the Peking duck.

For the mains, we had the chicken skewer which was enjoyed and well presented dish. The Thai fish cakes, which you could have as a starter or main. They too were delicious.
I personally had the Soy and Ginger pork with rice. I really enjoyed this, the pork was cooked perfectly as was the rice. The only tweak I would suggest would be using a low-sodium soy sauce, or if already used, add a bit more brown sugar to cut the saltiness.
Lastly, the burger from the specials board.
This was the only true disappointment of the evening, the burger patties themselves were awful. The rest of the burger components were nice (bun, pastrami, gherkins etc), however the burgers tasted like cheap frozen burgers. We told this to the waiter who assured us they were not frozen and made fresh, so that would mean he's either incorrect or the meat used to make the burgers is not top quality.

Considering this was on the specials board, there was nothing special about it other than how to ruin a burger. This is the opinion of the diner who had the burger and as we say each to their own. It is not meant in anyway to berate the establishment as we still enjoyed our evening and would return. Hence the 4 stars.

Overall this was a good experience and would definitely try it again in the future, I'd just be very cautious about what I'd choose.

Simon O, Owner at Bistro 42, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Richard, thanks for your comments we will try and work on getting 5 stars and will be looking at the burgers which you felt had particular disappointment, and hopefully we will see you again.

We have a new menu planned in January, and we are starting reviewing the dishes on the menu which starts next week.

Thanks
simon

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Went as a group of 7 so had quite a selection off the menu. Delicious food, good sized portions and great value for money....not one of us disappointed with out meals.
Staff friendly, comfortable environment.

Simon O, Owner at Bistro 42, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you very much for your comments. Kind Regards simon

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Have been a regular visit to this restaurant since it opened, however recently has gone downhill and this was again confirmed during my recent visit! The service was ok and our order was taken quickly, however when our starter came it was the wrong starter for us both so they were sent back. When they did come they were very nice. However the same couldn’t be said for the main, I had king prawn skewer with a jacket potato! There were about 4 prawns which were hard and the vegetables in the skewer many of them were burnt. The jacket potato was ok but had a bad bit at one end which I left!!! We were never asked how our meal was maybe they were afraid to ask!!!!! I won’t be visiting this restaurant again for a long time, I will instead be visiting the other branch in horbury which is so much nicer than this one, different menu choices and the food is much nicer! It’s such a shame as this restaurant has been so nice and is very convenient!!!

1  Thank loubies2
Reviewed October 8, 2018

Very popular for the beer festival over a complete weekend, plenty of good staff on hand to deal with the large crowds both inside and out on this particular weekend. Great food on the few occasions I have eaten here with plenty of choice on the menu, always best to book a table to save disappointment - very resonably priced with a great specials board, the staff have been exceptional on all of my visits so far.

Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

Meal out last Sat. Booked for 4 originally but ended up as 5 ,restaurant great, seated us no bother.
Food was hot and plentiful, between us we had fajitas (vegan), chicken burger, pie, pasta and the salt and pepper chicken.Everything was delicious, and well presented.
Service good and staff attentive.
Lovely bistro and with a downstairs bar type area a great place to just hang out and chill if you don't fancy eating.