All reviews san ramon waterfall santo domingo the owner kayaking property ferry hammocks ometepe island
Reviewed February 7, 2018

My family had a fantastic time staying at Congos over the holidays. We highly recommend it for large groups - though I would definitely come back just as a couple, or with a few friends.

Jeanine (I know I'm mistaking the spelling here!) helped us coordinate several activities and had the best recommendations for what to do and how to get around the island. The crew at Congos are incredibly gracious hosts, and they make some outstanding cocktails! They even managed to whip up a surprise cake for a special celebration we had - they really go above and beyond to make you feel at home.

We did not have a car and preferred to get around by bicycle and the occasional transfer with the Congos truck. This worked out great for our active group and is really reasonable compared to renting a car, though this will depend on what kind of holiday you want. From Congos you are not a far bike ride from the San Ramon waterfall and just a few minutes walk from a nice kayaking spot and beach to swim from. The trail to hike Maderas leaves from the property. And you're only 20-30 minutes away by car from the Santo Domingo side of the island and the Ojo de Agua. There are a few simple restaurants walking distance away from Congos, but the food is so great here that you may not look elsewhere.

I can't recommend you stay here enough. Ometepe is a fabulous destination to begin with, and staying at Congos embellishes it's natural wonder. (AND there's a sauna...!) We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2017 via mobile

I was in nica for a total of 3 weeks, we eventually wandered out to ometepe for a few nights. We stayed here and it was awesome, tons of hammocks the food was unreal and the hospitality was top notch. Everything you need is there, if you are younger like me and looking for a place to get away for a few nights head out to Congos, it refreshed me for my last week of partying in San Juan Del Sur lol

Stayed: December 2017
IdaniaU, Propietario at Hotel Congos, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2017

Hi Jordan! Thank you for your kind words :) it was wonderful to have you as a guest! I'm glad you were able to recharge your batteries for the rest of your trip. Hope you had a wonderful experience in Nicaragua please come back soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2017

I went to this hotel for 2 nights and it was a truly amazing experience. The owner of the hotel transported us from the Ferry to the hotel and back to the Ferry at the end of the trip. Juan, the owner, helped us plan our weekend and gave us amazing suggestions. My group truly had a great experience and there are many restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. There is also kayaking tours, bike rentals, and many other inexpensive activities near the hotel that make it a great spot to stay. The hotel for a small fee was able to take us to Santo Domingo. Everyone who works at the hotel is very personable and always willing to help. The owner speaks 3 languages, Spanish, English, and German, so it is very easy to communicate if your Spanish isn't up to par. The rooms were beautiful , the food was great and a good value, and the pool was refreshing! They even had hammocks that you could take a little nap in after a busy day! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone that is heading to Ometepe!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
IdaniaU, Propietario at Hotel Congos, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2017

I am very pleased to hear your experience in Ometepe and at Congos Resort was worthy of your adventures and that you enjoyed the rejuvenating energy that is unique to Ometepe Island. I hope you come and visit us again 

Reviewed April 13, 2017 via mobile

The Congos Resort is a remote hostel in Merida, not too hard to find from the sign on the main road once you get into town. The road past Santa Cruz is rather rocky and unlit, but we were able to do it on scooters. The hotel itself is tranquil, you have your own or a semi-detached cabin, and there is an abundance of wildlife from various birds, lizards, and even the occasional tarantula! Nearby attractions include the Hacienda Merida where you can rent kayaks and paddle to a nearby island inhabited by a pair of monkeys, and a hike-able waterfall. The food is a little expensive, given the remote location that is to be expected, but the staff's knowledge, friendliness and hospitality this hotel is well worth it.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your generous review it makes me happy that others enjoy the wildlife that surrounds us, as much as I do and thank you for helping us promote tourism within the island, hope you come and visit us soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2017 via mobile

Brand new facility, rooms are spotless clean and roomy. Some of the best showers we experienced in Nica. Great pool and breakfast. Some stuff under construction will only make this place better in the future. Beautiful grounds and rooms. Juan is super nice and accomodating, stay here!! Thanks again juan!!

Stayed: April 2017
1  Thank Erikd123

Thank you for taking your time to write a review for our new Family business. Glad to hear your experience was up to par with your expectations. I’ll make sure to let my brother Juan know about his personal review. We hope you come back to the island and Congos Resort so you can check out the finished construction.