“This review is long overdue!”
Review of The Bicycle Cafe

The Bicycle Cafe
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Flesherton
Price range: US$6 - US$23
Cuisines: Cafe, Grill, Fusion
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bicycle Cafe makes delicious food to order. Reasonably priced, fresh ingredients and casual dining. Listen to music, play games, have a glass of wine, local beer or a cocktail. Take your time. We also make proper coffee supplied by I Deal out of Toronto. Delicious desserts made in house as well. What you put in your body is serious business, we respect that. Take out available but not encouraged. We would sooner you take a break and enjoy your food at a table rather than a car seat. You will not be disappointed when you visit or return.
Reviewed June 27, 2018

This review is long overdue. Last year on our way home from a camping trip I pulled over to get a coffee. I went in solo and left the wife and kids in the car. I opened the front door...heard great dub reggae being played and saw a sign saying they offered Ideal coffee...I quickly turned around and ushered the family in. The vibe of the cafe enticed me to want to have our lunch there. My two kids had no problems finding something to eat. I don't recall exactly what we had...but recall that we enjoyed our meal and made a mental note to stop here again the next time we were in the area...which happens to be this coming weekend. Although an alternate route gets us to our destination quicker, we will choose to drive through Flesherton so we can stop at this gem of cafe!

Date of visit: July 2017

Reviewed June 24, 2018

Every time we come "up north" of the city to hike, we come by The Bicycle for dinner. We are never disappointed. The food is always perfect, and the ambiance is quaint. I haven't been for the live music yet, but hope to one day soon. I hope my buddies leave some pre-meal popcorn for me next time!

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed June 10, 2018

Went here a few times with hiking friends. I really like the decor and atmosphere of the place. The food is a bit pricey for the portions though. Service is slow too when it is busy.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed April 21, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I sometimes stop at The Bicycle Café on the drive between Toronto and Tobermory. It is located on Highway 10 near the main intersection in Flesherton. You can eat more quickly by picking something up at the cheese shop or bakery next-door to the bicycle café, but if you have a few extra minutes, the experience at the café can be delightful.

The emphasis is on good food rather than fast food, so sometimes it requires a little wait in order to enjoy your meal. Staff subtly frown if you spend too much time on your smart phone rather than speaking to your travelling companion.

We really liked the dumpling soup. Most restaurants keep soup ready at a moment’s notice to warm up in the microwave, but not at The Bicycle Café. I am not sure exactly what they do, but preparing the dumplings and getting it ready takes a few minutes, and the home made taste is worth it.

I ordered the avocado wrap and was very pleased to see the amount of avocado, nicely accompanied by the customary greens and tomato. The thin pita-style wrap was nicely toasted, and not doubled up with too many layers.

My wife enjoyed a Bahn Mi sandwich which had a good mix of flavours with a little bit of spice,. The meat in the sandwich was nicely grilled and the pickled carrot added crunchy freshness.

A favourite for me at the bicycle café is the apple pie. There is lots of cinnamon and a large helping of apples in identifiable slices without too much sauce. The overall impression is one of fresh apples. The pie has regular bottom crust with tasty sweet crumble on the top.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Tried stopping there about 6 months ago on the way North but it looked too busy, so went next door to the bakery (which is amazing by the way). Anyway today being Easter Sunday had no choice but to go there. Read the review that it was great for kids...

Not sure if the menu has changed but there was barely anything on that menu that my 3 yr. old would eat. Very sophisticated menu... Well got our food and as I'm trying to feed my 3 yr old a burnt grilled cheese I had to rip it into pieces as she refused to bite. Oh every time the servers would pass I got a weird look, like come on my child needs to eat I'm not doing anything rude. Well at some point my daughter refused to eat completely so I took out my phone and she started to watch some you tube kids and eat. It was not loud or offensive well 2 mins later a guy comes out (not sure if he was the owner or who) and says "you gonna have to turn it down", not could you please but he's giving me this ultimatum, otherwise what he's gonna kick me out? Anyway we were planning to get desserts there as well, but we just left. I was extremely upset. Very rude and not child friendly at all, not the menu not the atmosphere.

They are trying to pretend they are some fancy high dining place which they are barely better than a Tim Hortons in my opinion. Never ever will I be stopping there again and I go back and forth a lot.

Date of visit: April 2018
Peter R, Owner at The Bicycle Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

Bacon and eggs, oatmeal pancakes, fresh fruit smoothies, steamed rice, avocado, fruit bowls, fresh local perch, chicken soup, grilled chicken breast, toast and jam, hummus and crackers, crudité… honestly, your 3 year old “would not eat” any of these items? This alone speaks volumes about your visit. This seems to be a clear case of a guest hating what we were not rather than what we are. Also, we were not the “last choice” by a long shot. Within 30m of our café is Village Pizza, which offers pizza, fries and chicken finger fare or Highland Grounds, a Christian coffee shop that offers fair trade goods and also makes soups, sandwiches and a variety of home baked snacks… they also have plastic play structures indoor, right in their front window for kids and toddlers to play on while their parents enjoy their lunch. Why on earth did you pick on us?

It is reprehensible in this day and age, that honest business owners like ourselves have to suffer condemnation from guests, whom we ultimately serve, for standing up to the entitlement they feel they have to stream videos and make phone calls as if they were in their own living room. For those of you who have read this far and are considering experiencing our cafe, please be aware that although we do offer free wifi, we insist that you mute your devices or use headphones if need be. It is a very small open kitchen one room establishment. Our guests come to eat, relax, work, socialize, and play games… not to listen to your media or you talk to someone who is not in the room... the furthest thing from a national fast food chain. We first asked you politely, or to be specific, your child who was watching the video as we respect children as individuals, to turn the volume down. This request was ignored. A few minutes later, I came out from the kitchen and directed you to turn your volume down. I did so sternly as you were obviously not interested in being agreeable. Also, the volume was so ridiculously loud, that I was in absolute disbelief that you could be so disrespectful and self centered in a common space at the request of my wife on behalf of our staff and the other guests. The example you set is precisely why we take this stand.

As for your “review” of our food, well, if your child’s lunch was overcooked, you should have said as much. We would have rectified this immediately. It was a cheese sandwich and hardly and impact to our bottom line to redo it for you. No such request was made, and it seems had you done so, you would have not needed to turn to the distraction of your screen as a resort. I will assume that the meals you and your husband devoured were just fine, but not worth mentioning or perhaps undetectable because of the bitterness you radiated. It would have been nice had you provided a fulsome review of your experience for the benefit of the Trip Advisor community, and not just a rant intended to sully our name. And yes, our restaurant is somewhat more refined and sophisticated that what you might expect along a highway in rural Ontario. We find that many of our guests love to stop in after hiking, backcountry camping, working their field all afternoon, being at a three-day music festival, or driving for hours without a break. At The Bicycle, they can enjoy the comforts of a cloth napkin, a china plate, polished glass and proper silverware, even if they have not changed clothing in two nights and have muddy boots. An enjoyable meal is about much more than just the edible ingredients. We welcome everyone to our tables.

We are child friendly, and have children of our own who spend a great deal of time at the cafe with us, doing schoolwork, interacting with guests and helping out with our family business. We have plenty of children’s literature, paper and art supplies as well as a pile of accessible games and toys, that ironically (perhaps) were right on the shelf beside where your husband was sitting, within reach, without even having to get up. You yourself were directly facing it. Seriously? What gives Julia? Why did you even come in to The Bicycle? It seemed the only choice you didn’t have was to have a bad time.