All reviews beach grill the oriental restaurant small resort rooftop bar air canada steak sandwich monarch restaurant st lucia a la carte restaurants ate at the italian land and sea water pressure beautiful island bath towels egg station pigeon island limbo dancers
Reviewed February 27, 2018

As background we as a couple have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world and possibly some of the worst. We both travel lots with work so we understand luxury travel and I'm writing this review to hopefully help people like me who had read the rest of the reviews with confusion. This holiday was booked by my family who live in London (we live in NY) and would not have been my choice, but hey - its a week in St Lucia in great weather with family around, we obviously wanted to go.

Summary:
- If you are someone who is used to and expects fine hotels, fine dining and luxury travel, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS HOTEL!
- If you are willing to accept compromises on standards so you can see this amazing island, it might work for you

Front of House / Arrival - Staff here are not particularly well trained or good at the welcome procedure. Its slow, you have to fill out a lot of forms, wait around a bit and the front of the hotel doesnt give the best first impression. An SPG Marriott style welcome this is not, but you are in the Caribbean, take a chill and get on their pace of life

Rooms - Surprisingly good. Clean, bigger than expected, bed is comfy, pillows could definitely be improved (our whole group complained about these). They are cleaned to a high standard each day, have a safe, decent tv, for the price, I think they were good and as we called ahead to ask not to be near the noisy nightclubs (which do exist on the weekends) we had relatively peaceful rooms near the pool

Pool Area - Pool is clean, its not deep in any place, laps are impossible but its big and fun for little ones. Speaking of which there werent too many kids here (a fear of mine when it was booked) and the crowd was all very old. There are lots of saga holidays and older canadians all armed with cooler mugs to maximise consumption at low temperatures

Pool Bar - Sorry guys, big disappointment. Tiny plastic cups which environmentally I hated seeing thrown away all day. The cocktails were very syrup based, I didnt drink too many and I love a cocktail. Beer was fine, before the daily supply of piton (local beer) ran out. There was always a queue, which was v annoying by the end. Midday queues were so long I stopped bothering to go. Bar staff were nice and helpful, no issue there, just a poorly run bar that couldn't keep up with the customers

Beach - Nice enough, its tiny outside the hotel but is quiet. All you need. No fish to see anywhere in the bay. This is not the nicest part of st lucia by a long long stretch, be aware of that before booking.

Poolside entertainment - I cringed at the thought of this going into the week but actually really enjoyed it, particularly for family fun. washer toss, horse shoe toss, volleyball, plenty going on and we came home with lots of banana ketchup (the prize).

The Food - Not sure how to judge this and the food more than anything shows why there is such a split in the reviews. I eat at quite nice places in London and NY quite often and I hated the food. My Sister is a young mum of two, eats out less and really liked the food. My parents thought it was fine. So a complete spectrum, I think it depends on what you are used to and what you expect. My thoughts: The buffet section each day was v average to me though the fresh station often saved the day. There was always something you would eat but it was never great. The poolside lunch cafe was not bad, I preferred this for lunch. Burger was good, fish and chips nice and brownie for dessert v good. The a la carte dinner venues were ok, both the chinese and italian were absolutely fine, though neither would be of a standard I would choose to go back to if at home. You will not go hungry, you will probably get bored of the food and you may not like lots of it. But it will depend on your going in position and usual habits.

The town - pretty grim though the duty free shops are good. Bring USD with you if coming from the US, hard to get out of an ATM.

Other comments - the upstairs bar overlooking the sea was really nice, however the staff were rude. When shutting the bar early, I asked what time does this bar shut, was told 10pm, I explained it was 9:45 and was ignored. This sort of staff behavior wasnt uncommon throughout the week - I do think they could do more. Our family booked a table for 6 adults and 2 small children at the italian but werent allowed to sit together as max table sizes are for 6. Little things like that get you wound up when they shouldnt happen. The hotel is bad at helping you avoiding over charging, e.g. the $100 shuttle to the airport, constantly feel ripped off. Some help getting reasonable deals would be great.

Overall - the hotel is fine and good value for money if you get a deal like we did. It suits kids and adults who want an easy break with no other costs. It suits a family vacation who are not interested in eating well and enjoying the finer things. Its a basic, tired resort with some charm and set in a paradise island. You will have a fun time here like we did if you go in expecting the basics. If you go in expecting the ritz you will be like some of the others on this forum and end up booking another hotel. I will add in closing though that the management can make things better, I'm just not sure thats the business plan.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from nightclubs
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
PapGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Papillon by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2018

Dear Mark Wilson,
Thank you for taking the time to review the resort online. I am sorry that we were not able to satisfy your every need. I have taken note of your numerous concerns and would like to thank you again for providing feedback.
I am very happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you again for providing feedback and we hope to welcome you on a return visit in the near future.

Reviewed February 27, 2018

Our family 2 adults and 2 children stayed at Papillon for a week Feb9-16. I read many reviews and had an idea of what to expect. This was definitely the smallest resort we ever stayed in, but it was perfect for us and our children. I felt very safe and comfortable knowing that I could see them from pretty much any one of the main places on the resort. The majority of guests were on the older age of the spectrum, only a couple of younger families, do not expect a party scene, rather quiet. We couldn't have asked for a better room location. It was on the main floor facing the pool, the kids could walk out of the patio and be by the pool area. The resort is older but freshly painted and very clean. Pool is shallow, but again perfect for young families like us. Never overcrowded, usually enough lounge chairs. The rooms are a bit dated but again very clean, and more than enough towels to go around. We highly recommend the grill it was very good and fast, we never waited more than 15-20 min for the food, and even while waiting, take in the the view it is breathtaking. Breakfast and dinner at the main buffet was also tasty. There were a few local dishes with local vegetables, nice twist and a change from other resorts who try too hard to target the North American dishes like pizza, fries etc. I would say if you are a meat lover don't expect much, there were very few meat dishes, but there is always fish and it was fabulous. A few bars are available and always at least one is open if not more. I have read people complaining that there is no beach bar, I don't see why this is a problem as the pool bar is literally 10 steps to the beach. The bartenders as usual were cheerful and busy, but we never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for a drink. We are a pretty active family so we did some sight seeing, town wondering and excursions (all worth it). Its definitely worth taking a walk down the bay, there is an obstacle course (like wipe out) at the end of the bay which was amazing fun not just for kids but even for adults. Also there are a few local bars on the beach and in town, if you are looking for something different outside of the resort, it is worth stepping out. There are lots of shopping areas in Rodney Bay, if you are looking for souvenirs and even nice coffee shops...which I should mention, you can't get any specialty coffee on the resort such as an expresso, cappucino or lattes...that would be a good suggestion to the resort.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank anetkadb
PapGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Papillon by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2018

Thank you for such a warm review on your experience with us at the Papillon Resorts. It is our absolute pleasure to have catered to you and your family and ensuring your absolute comfort and enjoyment. Experiences and satisfaction such as yours provide such encouragement to our team and so it is very good to hear that you were able to enjoy our services and experience the Papillon hospitality.We thank you for choosing the Papillon by Rex Resorts as your home away from home. Your recommendation of our Hotel is greatly appreciated.
We hope you and your family created lots of lovely memories during your stay and we hope you return soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2018

We are presently at the resort the time is 12.28am the music from the bar across the street is so loud it hurts my ears the base is unreal it has been going since approx 9pm EVERY NIGHT for the past week we have requested a different room but no better this goes on until 2am i am tired and absolutely fed up staff don’t care they just offer a room and then want to charge us another 60 dollars US .The staff never smile and it is as if you are bothering them when you ask for anything.The noise from street bar is so loud right now that the patio windows are vibrating .food is never too warm and minimal choice at buffet if you want a drink be prepared to wait and wait only one bar staff in lobby and during the day it is hit and miss NEVER EVER will i come here again and i cannot wait to get the hell out of here.

Room Tip: There is no good room you cant here yourself think with the noise from the street bar
Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank tracysewell61
Reviewed February 24, 2018 via mobile

Spends a fantastic week at this hotel. Upgrade to a sea view room which was delightful . Perfect views. The rooms were very nice and well maintained each day. The food is very good and a good variety . Service and all staff are very friendly and helpful indeed. This is a very good 3 star plus hotel and the location on the beach is just the best. All inclusive is great va,use for money . Hotel is in very easy walking distance of the main shopping mall which is great. Load music at the weekends from local bars but that is St Lucia and nit an issue we found. The two specialty restaurants were great as was the pool snack bar. Thank you for a great time. It is a good 90 minutes by car from the international airport.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IS T

Thank you so much for this "short and sweet" review!!

I am thrilled that you had the perfect vacation.We appreciate your compliments pertaining to our housekeeping team doing a great job keeping your room clean daily. I am happy that you enjoyed your every meal. We are indeed close to all the amenities of the Rodney Bay Village. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to experience both specialty restaurants along with the Beach Grill.
Once, again thank you for choosing the Papillon by Rex Resorts and we look forward to welcoming as one of our valued returned guest.

Reviewed February 23, 2018

We travelled the second week in February with another couple. We breezed through customs and found our transfer bus without issue…it is a good 90 minute bus ride to the resort so hit the toilets before you get on because it’s a non-stop ride without facilities. The ride is winding and hilly so if you are prone to motion sickness, take something before you leave…

Upon arrival (it was 6:30-7:00 PM) we were registered by Marla, a very pleasant, professional young lady who assisted us throughout our stay and always with a smile and a kind word. Cocktails were served to us as we waited for the bell-hop, Lynell (nice man and very helpful) to assist us with our luggage and escort us to rooms.

The standard rooms did not provide much of a view and only a choice few rooms on the 3rd level had a view of the sea. We were on the 2nd floor, so we upgraded to a sea-view room the next day for the rest of our stay for approximately $250 USD. The rooms are “tired” but clean and the beds are very comfortable. The resort indicated wifi service in the lobby but we got wifi in our rooms, at the pool and even on the beach

Lesley and Daniel served us at the main and pool bars most of the time and they were great! Veronica and Chantal provided amazing service at the buffet! Again, I cannot say enough about the wonderful staff at the Papillion.

The beach is beautiful and the waters warm and inviting…I can’t believe how secluded it felt, it is at the end of Reduit Beach, Marie’s Fish Shack being the only place past the resort. There’s kayaking, paddle boarding and snorkeling available and recommended.

The resort is in walking distance of bars, restaurants and shopping which I also recommend…try to hide your all-inclusive wristbands so that you are not a target of a few smooth talking locals ☺

All said, we had an amazing time and will return to Papillion to experience their amazing service again!

Stayed: February 2018
5  Thank MICMCC

Thank you for your "wonderful!" review on the St. Lucian by Rex.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and would come back. We are indeed on one of the most beautiful beach in St Lucia and within walking distance of the Rodney Bay village.
You certainly highlighted all our strengths which we know will help future guests to understand what makes Papillon so special.
We enjoy hearing about our guests the many different aspects during their stay with us.It is our absolute pleasure to have catered to you and ensuring your absolute comfort and enjoyment.
Once, again thank you for your feedback and we looking forward to welcoming you back to our paradise.

Guest Services Manager