We visited the Kings Arms restaurant for Sunday lunch, there were four of us with one being a vegetarian. The décor of the restaurant is very stylish and comfortable; unfortunately the food and the service let them down as below:
• We each kicked off with a Bloody Mary, these were served in tiny glasses (prob 6 – 8oz at a guess) which is fine, however at the end when the bill arrived we noticed they had charged us for a double vodka shot each. Considering the size and the fact that none of us could really taste the vodka I very much doubt whether it was genuinely a double shot.
• Once we had ordered we had to wait a long time for the starter to arrive. When it did arrive it was ok (although you can’t really go wrong with a mezze platter with pitta bread!)
• The vegetarian of our party ordered a Portobello mushroom burger and when ordering this was clearly confirmed by the waitress. When the meals arrived he had in fact been given a beefburger. This had to be returned which meant we were not all eating at the same time. This made the rest of the group feel quite uncomfortable.
• Two of us had the Sunday roast (beef) which was cold as were the vegetables that came with the meal.
• By way of apology one of the members of staff came over and offered one free dessert or one drink. Although I am sure the intentions were genuine it came across as slightly insincere. We also felt that this wasn’t particularly generous since each of us were affected by the mistake in the order. I would suggest that as a minimum the cost of the meal should have been taken off the bill and a round of coffees thrown in.
• Once we had all finished our main course the plates sat on our tables for quite some time, in fact we had to ask one of the waitresses to clear our table.
We resolved these issues above between ourselves by simply not leaving any service (something I have never done in the past). As we were leaving we all felt it was a most disappointing experience and were left there feeling neglected. We will not recommend the Kings Arms to any of our friends and certainly will not return.
To summarise I have eaten in restaurants where things have gone wrong (haven’t we all?) but left feeling very content (and left service) because the situation has been handled in the right way. It is how these issues are handled that makes such a huge difference to the whole experience and this is the main reason for writing this review and why none of us will return to the Kings Arms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kings Arms Hotel is a fine dining restaurant, boutique hotel and bar. Recently refurbished this historical building has been modernised offering quality in all departments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline and Travelocity.ca so you can book your The Kings Arms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.