“Great food, thoughtless front of house”

The Wheatsheaf, Combe Hay
Ranked #1 of 1 Combe Hay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Food is of the highest quality and reflects the skills of good chefs, however let down by thoughtless management who put tables of two in a room with a party and children on a Friday night. A nice dinner out became a eat and let's leave as we can't hear ourselves talk. And what's even better typical french waiter who knows more about food than any one else and dumps food and runs. No explanation or pleasentrys. The chefs work very hard and they are let down by the team front of house. Would I go again ? For the food yes for the service no.

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed 2 April 2012

my wife and I have eaten here on many occasions lunch and dinner and recently stayed one evening to save the usual car worries. we were not disappointed. do come early and or book as it is very popular for meals. the service and food were of the highest quality (must have an excellent chef) and the room was well prepared and with pleasant decor and full facilities - shower room, tea/coffee/free water and juice etc good quality bed and very clean and cosy - the quiet and the sound of morning birds on a frosty but sunny morning was a joy to wake up to as was a full english breakfast and all the usual top level offerings of an equvalent 4 star hotel - everything you would expect from the friendliness and quality of this country business. the Wheatsheaf is easy to find with satnav and in a quaint and wonderful dell just 15 minutes from Bath. Beer and wines, dogs welcome - great outdoor eating and drinking areas for the summer - a grown up country pub/restaurant. this is on a par with the better restaurants in Bath

Room Tip: there are only 4 and are in outbuildings with own doors - this is the countryside so be prepared for...
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We came here with my baby 10 months and my 3 yr old. My baby had spilt some food on the floor the manager flipped asked of we were just going to leave it (we hadn't even finished yet and of course would of made good before we left) then came back with a dustpan and brush and couldnt believe it when I asked him why he felt the need to talk and treat us so badly.
I have eaten in pubs and restaurants all over bath and couldn't believe how horrid this man was to us. We were just sat quietly eating our lunch!
A waiter who I have to say was rather lovely to me apologised and said he couldnt control him. Nice.
I would really eat somewhere else bath is full of wonderful places to eat with grey customer service. Maybe one at that man will realise that and buck his ideas up.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Rebeccanick
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We arrived on a beautiful Spring morning to a wonderful welcome, and sat in front of a large open fire enjoying a pre lunch drink. The memorable experience was one not to be missed.
The staff were all very attentive and helpful, particularly the cleaner who shared my love of horses and ventured into our room to turn the TV on for us.
Having enjoyed an excellent lunch we relaxed in the very comfortable room, just a few steps from the pub.
The only drawback we found was the space for pre dinner drinks was limited once the pub was busy. A larger sitting area would be nice.
Would we go back again....definitely.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We had a night at the Wheatsheaf last week. Our only advice to arrive in daylight (it really is up and down the lanes, would hate to have done it for the first time in the dark!) Our room in the cowshed (Buttercup - nearest the road (irrelevant!)) was lovely, nice touches like home made cookies (v good) and fresh milk, super shower (bring a shower cap if you don't want soaked - or utilise the bin liner as I did!), seriously good bed and pillows (and we are fussy). Dinner was, well I am struggling for words. memorable is inadequate and the foie gras benedict was simply historic - I could probably have had it for all 3 courses (and I would have had to fight off my husband !) Excellent (and not unreasonable) wine list. It was an absolute treat. Go - and stay (there are 3 rooms) and breakfast was lovely too!

Reviewed 6 February 2012

This is not the first time I have dined at the Wheatsheaf, this has been my third visit and each time i have been it has been very special. The food is fantastic along with great service and a good atmosphere. I have been too many good restaurants around Bath but for me the Wheatsheaf stands out amongst the crowd. I would highly recommend the Wheatsheaf; I am already looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We had a lovely meal here, there were 6 of us, at the end of September. The food was fantastic, and service great. Bookings probably essential cos it's very popular. We'll be back. We were there in the evening but we'll definitely be back to eat outside in the lovely gardens one day.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1.5 km away
High Beeches
High Beeches
#17 of 155 in Bath

Been to The Wheatsheaf, Combe Hay? Share your experiences!