Agoda.com
Sunrise Resort(Buckhorn)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdining roomhot tubget awaylong weekendpaddle boatssteakbuckhorn lakehydro bikescottage feelsoupcross country skiingcottage countrywater bikesfrench toastgas fireplacerelaxing getawaywonderful weekend
Reviewed March 4, 2018

We stayed at the Westwind Inn for a couple of nights and found the room very pleasant with a gas fireplace as a nice touch. Unfortunately the website description is a little misleading when it comes to morning coffee - which I love to have first thing to wake me up! Looking forward to an in-room coffee set (as you would expect to find in most hotels/inns) I was a little put out when I found I had to get dressed, wander down the hallway to a communal kitchenette to make tea or coffee. In fact to get coffee it means brewing a 10-cup system and waiting for it to process. Thank goodness I had some Starbuck's "instant" with me to save the day. Not the main memory I wanted to keep with me! Ah well, off season..... Also issues with the restaurant not open for dinners or breakfasts except infrequently.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff J
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2018

I am glad you enjoyed your room and fireplace.

Our website rates include a delicious dinner and hot breakfast each night of your stay. You did not reserve with us but with a third party discount travel site that offered 2 nights room only, no meals included,a $25 voucher towards dinner for 2 which you used on Friday night when we had other guests on the meal package.

Saturday night we did not have any guests on the meal package so dining room was not open. Many restaurants in town and nearby. Sorry for the inconvenience but there is very little business in low season and not much point in opening and staffing a restaurant for 2 people.

Website"lodge "accommodation page states: Complimentary coffee & tea at our central beverage station :

(We do have premium rooms with a coffee maker, kettle & tea pot & supplies, fridge, jet tub)

Reviewed February 25, 2018

* Terrible food: no variety, bland taste, aspirations of grandeur (but actually truck stop level).
* Poorly maintained rooms: dirty washroom, mini old TV (look for the management's answer below where they will claim it was "rustic" or "antique").
* Overpriced: paid a lot for the chalet, but unclear where the money is being spent.
* The person in the chalet below mine was smoking pot every evening. Nothing done about it by management.
* Terrible food (again): did I mention the food was so bad I ended up not eating there even though I got the "meal plan".

Only good things about the place is the location. Please go spend you hard-earned dollars somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank elhelado
Reviewed January 21, 2018 via mobile

The staff were friendly and exceptionally accommodating. Dinner was delicious although few choices were offered when it came to first course and dessert (perhaps because it was low season with few guests?)
The room was rustic with beautiful scenery outside on our balcony. Beautiful lakeshore close to quaint restaurants and a grocery store.
The downside was that the lodge can use a little facelift. Updating of the bathroom vanity and shower would be nice. Also the mattresses appeared old. The springs were in bad shape and the rod iron headboard was uncomfortable to rest against even with a pillow. Had poor quality sleep.
My main concern was privacy. When housekeeping came in they didn't close and lock our door....a BIG concern.
Overall a nice place to visit even in the winter. Most likely will return.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2018

Thank you for the lovely review.

Many rooms have been upgraded and renovated and we continue to do so constantly. Many have a lovely new floor in the room and a new bathroom also with new floor, new vanity and either a large new walk in shower or a heart shaped jet tub for two. Also a fridge in the room and kettle with supplies. they are higher rate than the room you reserved.

You reserved with a 3rd party discount coupon at a lower rate and our most basic lowest price room.

I am not sure what the issue was with housekeeping. We are in the country and no transient guests or people not registered walk past your room. Staff does not leave a room open and leave when occupied. Could you email us with details?

Hope to see you here again.

Reviewed January 21, 2018

Accommodations: Terrible
I requested 2 beds and received 2 single beds! To my knowledge only kids sleep in single beds not grown adults. I was expecting to sleep in at least a double bed. The entire room was, as per the pictures, stuck in the '60-'70 with a tub tv. The towels were old and worn out. The water pressure was low and instead of having the regular sample soaps and shampoo liquids, they had the dispenser type which doesn't tell you what brand or type of soap and shampoo it is. There was no fridge in the room it was located in the common area room. There was a vibrating noise in our room coming for the lower floor which made it uncomfortable. The bathroom fan was unreasonably loud and came on as you turned on the light. I understand that it is an Inn with a country feeling but they could have made simple little improvements to bring it to today's standards. The indoor pool was a major disappointment since we had to roll the cover to access the pool. The chlorine smell was too strong to stay in the pool room.
Dinner: Poor
They claim they have an in-house chef, however the soup they served as a starter was a tomato basil soup which tasted like it came straight out of a can. The main dish was alright it was steak, potatoes and mixed vegetables. Desert was a blueberry pie where the crust seemed to have been undercooked. The entire meal was overpriced for what it was.
Service: Average
The manager welcomed us properly when we arrived late in the day. We didn't see the manager rest of the stay. When we checked out the desk attendant didn't care to ask us how was our stay.
The only pleasurable feature of this place was the outdoor hot tub. Overall the stay was poor and I would not return to this location.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank farah527
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2018

Westwind guests are adults mostly mostly couples seeking a romantic getaway.. The rooms in the main lodge have either one queen bed & sofa or two single beds & sofa.

When booking we ask if guest wishes one bed or two.

None of our rooms have 2 double beds. No requests for that except occasionally for those on a low budget who wish to sleep 2 couples in one room to save money. They are much more comfortable taking 2 separate rooms providing privacy at not much more cost as rate is per couple not per room.

The single beds are designed for adults to sleep in comfort since we have many repeat group conferences, meetings and many couples who are happy with their single beds. They are not kids beds.

Did you look at our website prior to reserving?

On our website home page we state:" We are primarily an adult resort, mostly couples, but singles and seniors love it here also and feel welcome and at home. "

On the accommodation "lodge" page we have a photo of a regular lodge room followed by:

"These rooms are designed for one or two guests, with one queen bed or two singles that can be made up together as a king or separate beds (as requested when reserving) "

"Although standard lodge rooms are not 5 star they are cozy comfy, basic and clean. Think Rustic, Lodgey, Cottagey. Homey... Not Luxury..."

In our Photo Gallery, click on Accommodation Lodge: you will see photos of the lodge rooms both with 1 queen bed, 2 single beds apart and made up as 1 king.

We do not have children's beds or children's rates. We are not a family resort. The single beds are designed to sleep adults in comfort.

The pool you refer to is my own private personal lap pool in my solarium. It is small intended for 1 person to use privately or 2 people to enjoy. Only takes a minute to uncover and replace the cover. I can do it myself and I am a senior citizen. Maintenance monitors the pool daily and found it to be in perfect condition after seeing your complaint re chlorine. We do not over chlorinate.

The main lodge was built in late 1986. So was quite new when we purchased it in 1991. We have done many renovations and upgrades over the years and continue to do so constantly.

Many rooms have lovely new bathroom with new vanity, floor and either a large walk in shower or a heart shaped jet tub for 2. They also have a fridge and new floor in the room.

We stopped using small wrapped soaps and tiny bottles of shampoo many years ago to eliminate garbage and save the environment. Instead we use quality shampoo, conditioner and soap bought in large jugs which we pour into dispensers which we monitor clean & refill daily. Result - just a few plastic jugs to recycle and no half empty bottles of shampoo etc and hardly used bar of soap and wrapper in the trash. .

The small private indoor pool in the solarium is kept quite warm and must be covered when not in use to minimize condensation and heat loss. The walls and windows can become drenched, dripping with water and room gets to be like a sauna. Very quick and easy to remove and replace the light cover on its roller. .

We do have a skilled experienced chef. He does not serve canned soup. His soups are delicious.

Your reservation was with 3rd party site, a lowest hotel price discount coupon and stayed in our lowest cost basic room.

We do have some rooms with 2 beds that have renovated bath & fridge that you might have preferred but at a higher rate. However they don't have 2 double beds either.

Often 2 ladies traveling together will rent their own separate rooms for privacy and comfort. Then each of would have had your own queen size bed. However I can see that our inn is not what you are looking for.

Reviewed January 14, 2018

My husband and I had a very relaxing winter weekend get away. The staff at The Westwind Inn were very friendly. Our room was cozy and I loved that it had a fireplace. . It was a very peaceful setting . The breakfasts were tasty. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be recommending the Westwind to our friends.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen S
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2018

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.