“Popular Local Pub - Good Food and Service”

St. James Gate Irish Pub
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Typicla Irish Pub restaurant on the main street in Carleton Place Ontario. The best fish and chips in the area.
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We arrived at 7 PM on a week-day evening in September and the Pub was very busy. The back outdoor patio was full and inside also. We were lucky to find a table on the Bridge street patio.
It was "fish and chips night" so $2 off on my 2 piece platter. The pieces were both very large (one would be sufficient) with not too much batter. I also got a side of gravy for the fries which was extra but very tasty. My wife had the meat pie which was very good. Of course the pints of Kilkenny and Keiths made everything even better!
Service was friendly and prompt.
Tab for two of us came to $55 with tax and tip.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Wing night is our favourite for family of 4 adults. Delicious wings with plenty of choices of sauces and wide variety of beers. Very reasonable and relaxed get together with our sons. Servers always very cheerful and friendly.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

The food is decent for a pub but the service isn't consistent. I have had good service and I have had service where you have to get up and interrupt the waitresses chatting to get served.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

We go to this restaurant at least twice a month, normally on Thursday for their pasta specials (under $10). My wife and I and our best lady friend love this place. It is very quaint (small) place and your do have to reserve to get a table especially on Thursday nights or week ends. The food is always fresh and hot when it reaches the table and the service is great. We have tried other things off the menu besides the pasta and it is all good. Would recommend to anyone in the Carleton Place area.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

By chance, my husband and three friends drove our seadoos down into CP and parked at the docks. We walked the streets a little and found ourselves drawn to this warm, inviting pub. We were greeted almost immediatly and they offered to clean a table for us on the back patio as we had wanted. The servers were friendly and cheerful, always smiling. The beer was cold and the food was over and above what we expected. I had the steak sandwhich and fries. The steak was cooked PERFECLY, the onions and peppers were almost melting in my mouth and whatever cheese they use is to die for..

I would recommend if you ever find yourself in CP, take the time to check this place out. You will not be disappointed.