“SLOW, rude service overshadowed fairly decent food”
Review of Chelsea Pub

Chelsea Pub
Ranked #5 of 24 Restaurants in Chelsea
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We had lunch at the Chelsea Pub on Thanksgiving Monday. As we were a large group, we called a few days ahead to make a reservation, as suggested on their website. However, when we arrived at the appointed time, no table was ready. After a few confused minutes, we were informed that the staff member who took our reservation "shouldn't have done that" and therefore, they wouldn't honour the reservation!

We expressed our disappointment and were told if we waited around, they would try to find us some seats. The staff made it quite clear that they were doing us a favour, and offered no apologies for their error. So, at least 30 minutes after the time of our reservation, we were finally led to a table. Whereupon we began to wait...10-15 minutes for someone to take our drink orders...maybe another 10 minutes for water...another 10 or 15 for drinks....20 minutes more to order our food....and then I lost count, but it took a ridiculously long time. The food was hot and delicious (the Chelsea Burger was great), but the wait spoiled the experience.

It again took ages to get our bills. I paid with a tip of 5% to reflect my disappointment in the poor service. The waitress then pointed out, in front of the entire table, that 15% was expected. I replied that the service had been unacceptable. The waitress just left, without making any apologies. (For anyone unfamiliar with tipping practices in this area, tipping is at the discretion of the diner, but 15% is customary for acceptable service.)

I did, in the end, leave some more cash to make up a 15% tip, mostly because I was embarrassed. I felt a bit sorry for the overstretched staff but given that we were there for over THREE hours (for drinks and entrees - no appetizers, no dessert, no coffee), I think my complaints were justified.

The staff at this restaurant desperately need some training in customer service, as well as an increase in numbers. Some free desserts or a tray of nachos while we waited would have made a world of difference to our experience. Even a genuine apology would have improved things. But instead, no one apologized, and we were chastised for expressing our displeasure with our tip. We won't be back.

3  Thank DrSquirrel14

Reviewed 26 August 2011

Best poutine I've had in ages! The fries are really good. My kids loved their chicken wings, great portion for a kids meal.

1  Thank julie_canada
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This is a great pub during the warmer months. Go for a walk in Gatineau Park and then come here for good food at an affordable price in great surroundings. The courtyard area is lovely and good for a drink or food. The burgers are substantial and tasty for what I would expect for a typical pub. Not disappointed!! Everyone is really friendly. There is parking out front or on the street. And head up to La Cigale for dessert later.

1  Thank FDEBLB
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We've gone to Chelsea's occasionally over the years and found that it has been better every time out. The menu is slightly more interesting than usual pub fare (last night we had Thai and 'California salads, a small shrimp catalan, chocolate-pecan pie and an oreo cheesecake/chocolate cake combo. ) There's a wide selection of draft and craft beers, along with Quebec beers that are a little harder to come by. The reception and service were quick and friendly.
As noted elsewhere the patio is extremely pleasant on a warm summer evening. The indoor side is unexceptional.
Reservations available for groups of 8 or more.

1  Thank Marc D
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The Chelsea Pub is one of my favorite pubs in the Ottawa area. It's a wonderful place to take friends or visitors when giving them a tour of Gatineau Park. I have gone there in the winter and had a wonderful homemade quiche and in the summer for their amazing Chelsea hamburger and way too decadent fries.

They building itself is a landmark, built back in the 1800s. In the winter it has a roaring fireplace going and in summer it has a large outdoor patio. Any time of the year it has a relaxing, friendly atmosphere. The staff are all bilingual and always willing to help you out.

Check out their website, they often have live entertainment on the patio during the summer.

1  Thank Sylvia M