“Very Dissappointing Christmas Gift”
Review of Nordik Spa-Nature

Nordik Spa-Nature
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Chelsea
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the entrance of Gatineau Park, Nordik Spa-Nature is a haven that features relaxation techniques from the Nordic countries. Take the time to unwind and reenergize in our Nordic baths and waterfalls, steam baths, saunas, and relaxation areas. Revitalize all of your senses with a massage or a body treatment and a delicious and healthy meal at our restaurant & bar - you’ve earned it! Only 10 minutes from downtown Gatineau-Ottawa. Situé aux abords du parc de la Gatineau, Nordik Spa-Nature est un centre de détente privilégiant les techniques de relaxation des pays nordiques. Prenez le temps de relaxer et de refaire le plein d’énergie en profitant de nos bains extérieurs, chutes nordiques, baina de vapeur, saunas, et aires de détente. Combinez le tout à un massage ou a un soin corporel et un délicieux repas à notre resto-bar. À seulement 10 minutes du centre-ville de Gatineau-Ottawa.
Reviewed 10 January 2017

I purchased a spa day for 2 as a gift. When we booked we were never informed about any concerns. It was a day of wait, wait, wait. Staff was poorly instructed. stood in line most of the day for drinks etc. Spent 90 minutes in the restaurant at a table waiting for a cheese and cracker platter we ordered. Staff was not very helpful and unorganized, I believe they were not prepared and there was little preplanning for a big crowd. Overall for a place to relax all it did was create tension. I sent an email about our concerns and the Spa did nothing but gave excuses. Lost opportunity for new business, too bad.

142  Thank northernlight55
Marianne T, Responsable des relations publiques at Nordik Spa-Nature, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

Dear northernlight55,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are truly sorry to read that your day was not very relaxing. We did have some very busy days over the Christmas holidays and on the weekends. We strongly recommend a visit during the week if your schedule permits, or a visit in the evening after work can be very relaxing. The view of the city from the panorama pool is breathtaking and you will have the best sleep!

We are currently working on plans to renovate the Nordik Restaurant and expand the Panoramic Lounge by over 150 seats. We realize that the expansion and renovation is much needed and will help eleviate long waits to get a seat in our restaurants. However, in the meantime, we have implemented a buzzer system. Once our restaurant is full, instead of asking guests to wait in line we offer them to hold onto a buzzer which they can bring anywhere on site (except being submerged in water). This allows our guests to keep enjoying their spa day instead of waiting in line.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Spokesperson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,044)

Reviewed 10 January 2017

The service was great, the tubs and saunas were amazing. Saw the lounges and some of the food looked delicious!

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went this Saturday, our second time in the past six months. Both times, there weren't enough lockers available so we had to double up. They keep expanding the Spa, but don't have enough space in the change rooms to accommodate the large volume of people they let in.

Before this, I typically have come 1-3 times per year since it opened. It used to be a soothing and relaxing experience. However, since they have expanded to include the Panorama section (which is the more social section where talking is allowed), the "relaxation" atmosphere has taken the wayside and its mostly a social atmosphere where people talk in most of the areas that should be silent. Nordik used to have people patrolling to ensure silence was observed, but now, this is lacking. After trying three different silent areas but leaving out of frustration with loud talkers, my husband went to see staff to see if they could walk the grounds to ensure the rules are respected. They told us it was a busy day and there wasn't anything they could really do and we should avoid coming on a Saturday. Its likely the last time we will frequent their establishment.

So if you are planning a girls night or group activity where you want to socialise, although pricey, you should have a good time. If you are looking for a way to relax and rejuvenate on a weekend, go somewhere else.

104  Thank Michelle D

Dear Michelle D,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Over the Christmas holidays our spa was in social mode, we did have a posting to this effect on our website, Facebook page and there were signs at the reception. We tried this as a pilot project in 2015 and it went well. It is very difficult to keep guests quiet after all the excitement of the Christmas holidays.

We would strongly recommend visiting the spa on a Sunday or on a weeknight, it is much quieter than a Saturday and the view from the panorama pool is exquisite at night with the view of the city lights. Even better- sneak away during the week; Tuesday and Wednesday are our quieter days.

We have put together a task force to deal with the guests in the quiet section and changes are coming. It is fundamental that guests be able to find a relaxing and quiet space here at the spa. The signage does not seem to be enough and even when staff circulate, the guests often start talking again as soon as they leave. I can assure you that this is very important to us.

We sincerely hope to see you again.

Reviewed 7 January 2017

I have been to Le Nordik a few times over the past couple of years. Every time is a different experience, and I would highly recommend not going on a weekend or holiday.
My family and I decided to celebrate Christmas here this year mid-december in one of their lodges.

The spa was not busy that day and we were all able to enjoy the facilities. I love the infinity pool in the evening. It was truly a great, relaxing day. It was even in the perfect snowfall.

Service in the lounge restaurant by the infinity pool was fabulous. We had lunch there and she was lovely, accommodating and friendly. My step-mom doesn't speak french and she was able to go back and forth easily.

The lodge was lovely. First impressions are great. There were only 4 of us and it was a bit much, but I would definitely want to try this again with more people. The one we were in was a 2 minute walk from the spa so it made it easy for a late night last dip in the pools! There were two bedrooms upstairs that were portioned off by a curtain in the loft. Then there were three bedrooms downstairs. One full bathroom on the top level and two toilets and two showers in the basement with the bedrooms. On the main level there is an open concept living/dining/cooking area with a wood burning stove. There were a couple of maintenance issues with the lodge such as burnt out light bulbs, and for the money you're paying I found it slightly frustrating. The kitchen was very well stocked and it was nice to be able to bring your own food to cook a great meal. We couldn't get the tv to work after the spa and they promptly sent someone over to assist us, and he was very pleasant and helpful.

My biggest issue with this stay was that there were multiple mis-communications. We arrived early Monday morning, hoping that no one was in the cabin the night before and that we could possibly check in a bit earlier than the 4pm arrival time. There was no line up when we arrived, which was great. We were efficiently checked in. The first issue was that we were told by the check in lady was that we would be able to use the spas as well the next day. We were incredibly excited as we didn't think this was a part of our package, and were going to be able to take advantage before we had to check out and head to work the next afternoon. This turned out not to be the case. We were also told that there was someone in the cabin the night before, so 4pm would be the earliest we could get in. No big deal, we would just come back. When we came back at 345 we were then told that we would need to sit down and wait as the new codes for the lodges do not activated until 4pm. If we were told this we wouldn't have come early at all. The last miscommunication was with the lady who gave us the code for the lodge, she said that the spa was open until midnight. I was surprised and delighted by this as I only thought it was open until 11pm that evening. However, yet again this wasn't the case. I was going in for a last steam at 1040 and was quite rudely told by a staff member that they were closing in 15 minutes and I couldn't go. I was truly confused as this was not what we were specifically told by their team. Once he saw that I had a brown bathrobe (meaning staying in a lodge) he told me I had 10 minutes and then had to leave. I quickly had a steam and when I was leaving he was watching two other patrons take selfies. When I inquired why they had their cellphones and he wasn't doing anything he just shrugged his shoulders and walked away. This last issue was addressed at check out, however it was still a frustrating issue.

I am a big believer in managing expectations and as long as there is clear information for staff to follow, guests will have an enjoyable time. I will be back, however I will ensure I ask more detailed questions and have everything in writing next time.

1  Thank Kate N
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Unfortunately when we were there the place was undergoing significant renovations; when it is finished I am sure it will be an improvement. We missed out on the infinity pool which apparently has a great view of Ottawa-Gatineau. Compared to the saunas we visit in northern Europe, the infrastructure at Le Nordik is fine and the surrounding location is very nice. The sauna culture, however, is quite different: swimsuits are worn throughout, people are loud in the saunas and don't seem to shower much between saunas. Despite the risks of bringing swimsuits into the saunas and not showering, the place appeared to be quite clean.

To be fair, I don't think that Le Nordik can impose the European traditions on the Canadian market: most people are probably not comfortable or used to the idea. The staff at Le Nordik tried to quiet people down, but were fighting a losing battle.

Finally, for what you get I found the price too high (again comparing to similar European Spas/Sauna locations). But, since Le Nordik is one of the only games in town and seems to be regularly packed (and expanding), they can get away with raising their prices.

1  Thank Danor44
Marianne T, Responsable des relations publiques at Nordik Spa-Nature, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

Dear Danor44,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. We are happy that you enjoyed your experience.

Indeed, our facilities are inspired by the tradition of Scandinavian spas, but it is sometimes difficult to impose exactly the same culture, which is why we adapt it to the Canadian reality.

Our new facilities are actually very beneficial for the traffic on the site and offer our guests new experiences of relaxation, especially with the new Russian sauna and the exfoliation room.

Thank you again for this valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.