“That feeling of being taken for granted”
Review of Nordik Spa-Nature

Nordik Spa-Nature
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Chelsea
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the entrance of Gatineau Park, Nordik Spa-Nature is a haven that features relaxation techniques from the Nordic countries. Take the time to unwind and reenergize in our Nordic baths and waterfalls, steam baths, saunas, and relaxation areas. Revitalize all of your senses with a massage or a body treatment and a delicious and healthy meal at our restaurant & bar - you’ve earned it! Only 10 minutes from downtown Gatineau-Ottawa. Situé aux abords du parc de la Gatineau, Nordik Spa-Nature est un centre de détente privilégiant les techniques de relaxation des pays nordiques. Prenez le temps de relaxer et de refaire le plein d’énergie en profitant de nos bains extérieurs, chutes nordiques, baina de vapeur, saunas, et aires de détente. Combinez le tout à un massage ou a un soin corporel et un délicieux repas à notre resto-bar. À seulement 10 minutes du centre-ville de Gatineau-Ottawa.
Reviewed 5 March 2017

This was my second visit to this spa. I had been there a year ago to give a relaxing break to a niece I cherish and admire a lot for having the courage to go back to school. First time I was really impressed with the size and beauty of the place. Living in Montreal not far from the Laurentians where there is a multitude of unique spas, it normally takes me a lot to be really impressed. At first sight I was. I guess the fact that the Nordik Spa was in the area where I was born and raised made me want to see something really unique in it. But my first experience of a year ago had left me a little pensive as I felt it was really expensive in comparison to most of the reputed spas I have been to before. I guess the size of the place combined with the lack of orientation of the staff, as if everything was organized around repeat business, gave me that feeling that I was not getting enough value for my $. But it was a first time so I decided to give it a chance and this year I decided to returned for the beginning of my niece March break. So on the Friday afternoon, I left Montreal earlier to pick her up in Gatineau. We finally made it around 7:15pm. Since the place closes at midnight, I felt it was plentiful to eat, get a massage, float in the salted bath and enjoy all the external facilities. Unfortunately, after a nice dinner and good massage from very professional staff, we were told that all the external baths had been closed due to a storm that had started outside for security reasons which was the right thing to do. Since the baths were not going to re-open before midnight and there is so much floating in the salt water and drinking you can do when you have to drive after, we decided to leave around 11pm. Obviously we were not the only ones as it was obvious that we were in the way of the cleaning staff while trying to dress up in the vestiaire. When we left, the lady at the counter asked us in a recorded fashion how happy we were with our stay and I responded that we were happy about the services we had received but I felt a bit disappointed considering that our stay had cost me $600 for 3.5 hours. Without even looking at me, she responded that unfortunately there was nothing she could do and she suggested me too contact Customer Service. I did not say anything as it was obvious that she had no power, could not care less and just wanted the day to be over. Since I was leaving the country the following Monday for business reasons, I wrote to them on the Sunday via their web site to propose to get a reimbursement or a credit for the access to the external baths to allow my niece to go back with a friend during her March break. I received an automated note thanking me for my interest in the Nordik and they would get back to me within 48 hours. 5 work days later I am still waiting and I am sorry to say that I will never go back there. Obviously someone over there is not very good in business cases and customer experience and is very short term visionary. Here is a simple mathematical calculation. Chosen scenario: $450 + $600 = $1050. Missed opportunity: $450 + $600 - $126 + food + average of $500 per year for as long as I go back home on a regular basis - all the revenues from the people who choose to go elsewhere after I tell them my story... So to my 16,986 readers I invite you to consider other options before going there because there are.

170  Thank lapetitemusique
Marianne T, Responsable des relations publiques at Nordik Spa-Nature, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2017

Dear lapetitemusique,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would like to first apologize that a manager did not respond to your original email. The email has been located and we will be following up with the manager in charge of corresponding with you.

Thank you for taking the time and spending your hard-earned leisure money on a day at Nordik Spa-Nature, there are certainly many other spas between here and Montreal, however I hope you will agree that none of them offer many of the unique services that we work hard to offer here at Nordik Spa-Nature in the Outaouais region. Despite the negative experience at the end of your visit, we sincerely hope that you enjoyed your day with your niece.

We are always at the mercy of mother nature and unfortunately in the event of any thunder or lightning we are required to close our pools until the risk of danger has passed. This is always disappointing for our guests and we try our best to keep the disruption to a minimum.

It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you further by phone. You can reach our Manager directly at 819-827-1111 x 337. We look forward to speaking with you.

Spokesperson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,117)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"couples massage"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 2 March 2017

We had 2 massages and their services were great. Upon arrival we got to the reception and I had a lady with zero smile, barely talked. I was not too impress with my first contact. The other person that came with me, had the same situation. The person had no personality, no smile, just wanted to register us so that we could move on out of her way. Was not a nice first encounter. After us, there was this long line up !!!YARK! nobody likes that. They need to improve the reception and the service that we get there.
I am usually always pleased but not this time.
A few new things were added at the spa. Nice location but they really need to improve on customer service (at the reception especially). The girl I had, had those huge earrings that makes your earlobe bigger, some tattoos and brown hair. Not impressed with her! It's like I was disturbing her! REALLY??
Nordik also needs to improve because waiting in line to register is not cool !

Marianne T, Responsable des relations publiques at Nordik Spa-Nature, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2017

Dear lyse b

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. In future, do not hesitate to speak with a customer service manager on site to give us the opportunity to serve you better and address the issues right away.

Our IT and design team are working hard to improve the check-in process. We are adding more lockers and we will have an electronic check in coming soon. Unfortunately, these things take time, rest assured that this is a priority for us.

We do invest time and effort in our employee training. This is ongoing and we will address the issues that you have brought to our attention with our teams. Even when it is very busy it is imperative that our employees keep their smile and that guests feel welcome.

Thank you for your feedback. This information goes a long way to help us continually improve and provide unique and memorable experiences for our guests.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

My most recent visit to the Spa was rather disappointing. I have been prior times and had amazing experiences, both with friends/family and my husband. I am now hesitant tor recommend or return. The thermal experience in itself and the facility is exceptional, and the staff we did encounter were polite, and friendly. On my last visit however, the spa was very busy with a younger crowd, which we expected as it was reading week. I have been when it has been busy before, no big deal, people are typically respectful of the rules and silent areas and the experience does not suffer. This time however, there were so many EXTREMELY innappropriate 'public displays of affection' in the hot tubs and we also witnessed something going on in the hot stone bed area that I'd rather not even mention so as not to gross anyone out. Absolutely kills the relaxing and spa atmosphere when that kind of activity is happening. I am all for going with your significant other, and a kiss or holding hands is sweet and understandable when sharing special time with your love. But the types of things we saw going on were so far beyond that it was absolutely shocking. There were no staff supervising or checking these areas to enforce rules or to witness what was going on. If the spa is very busy, they need to have adequate staff supervising to ensure the experience and quality is still what it should be. We also saw people not only using their phones, but having outright 'photo shoots' in front of the cold water fall. There are supposed to be no phones in the spa. My friend who came with me had to leave her 3 children and it wasn't easy for her to lock her phone away but she did, out of respect for the rules and other spa users and also for the true uninterrupted experience. I felt bad as I had raved about the spa to my friends and this experience was not what I had told them about. Luckily they still made the best of it and we tried to ignore what was going on but I would be very hesitant to recommend the spa to others or return, which I had planned to do with family when they visit the area and also as a nice getaway with my husband whenever we can sneak away for a day. Very let down at this visit. Things could be so much better with adequate staffing and supervision to ensure the rules are being followed and the atmosphere is not ruined by rude individuals.

38  Thank followthesun222
Marianne T, Responsable des relations publiques at Nordik Spa-Nature, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2017

Hi April,

We thank you very much for sharing this alarming situation. Rest assured that in no case we tolerate such behavior on the part of our guests.

Every guest who enters the spa must sign our Spa Etiquette with the rules of conduct. We have no tolerance for this kind of behavior and we do not hesitate to expel clients who have inapropriate behavior.

Rest assured that we have employees who are dedicated to monitoring the Källa treatment. We will follow up on what might have happened during your visit. We are sorry that you have experienced this situation. We will also install surveillance cameras in the Källa treatment.

We would like to have more details to rectify this immediately. Could you please contact our Manager at 819-827-1111 ext. 337.

Thank you for sharing this with us and we look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

My fiancé and I had booked massages at the Nordik Spa over Family Day weekend. We were looking forward to this as a highlight of our annual trip to Gatineau. Unfortunately, we were extremely disappointed by the customer service (specifically in regards to the manager on-duty) and it ruined our visit here.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon and the parking lot was packed. As we entered the building, there was a huge line with people waiting up to 3 hours to get in. Thankfully since we had already booked massages, we were able to skip the line and check in. When we went to check in, the girl at reception informed us they were out of towels and robes. It was an inconvenience since we didn’t bring our own but I understand it was a busy weekend. She did offer us both free drink voucher to make up for it which was a nice gesture. Since we didn’t have anything to change into, we skipped the change rooms and went straight to the waiting room for our massages. This is where things went downhill.

While my finance massage therapist came out properly at 6pm for his massage, mine was nowhere to be seen. About ten minutes passed and I went to talk to one of the massage therapist. Her client was late so she was nice enough to try to locate mine. She kept trying to call the therapist as well as the manager without any luck. She figured it was likely a scheduling error as both she and another therapist were waiting for clients who no showed while I sat there waiting for my therapist. It was 25 minutes into my 1 hour massage before the manager showed up. When she arrived, she told me the therapist got into an accident (if this is true, that is terrible but it seems to contradict what the other therapist told me re: scheduling error on a busy weekend) and that she would cover both my 1 hour massage as well as visit to the therapeutic baths. I was a bit annoyed it took a half hour for her to show up but felt that was more than fair. When I told her that I didn’t plan on attending the therapeutic baths, she retracted and said she’d give me a discount or sorts and that we’d figure it out after and then she left. The other therapist had to wait till 30 minutes to confirm her other client was a no-show before she could offer me a massage instead. I didn’t want to keep my fiancé waiting so told her to just do a ½ hour massage. She was very apologetic for what an occurred and I was very thankful for her help.

Unfortunately, after a relaxing massage (albeit only a half hour), all of this was undone by the horrible service I received after. Once my massage was complete, I went down to the reception desk to ask for the manager. The girl at the desk called the manager who, instead of coming to speak to me in person was using her to deliver her message. She told the girl to offer me 50% off my service– changing her stance from what was initially offered. I told her to please call the manager back as that was not what we discussed and I’d like to speak to her in person. This went back and forth with me waiting as the two discussed and the manager then offering to increase the discount to 60%. I told her I just wanted to speak with her in person. After 10 minutes passed, the manager eventually came out from the backroom. I told her that it was unacceptable the level of service I had received and that she had to honour her original offer (or equivalent value). At this point she was extremely defensive and condescending to me. I was on the verge of tears at this point and just unbelievably frustrated.

At this point, I didn’t care about the discount but I was pushing back on principle and expressing my disappointment at how poorly things were handled. I understand mistakes happen but it’s all about how it is managed. The appropriate way for this to be handled was for her to be very apologetic upfront, offer a solution to how to best make up for it and manage the situation head on. Instead, she wasn’t apologetic, took a lot of hunting me down to speak to her, she changed her position multiple times and then avoided me all together.

Eventually I asked to speak to her supervisor and a Guest Service Manager came over. She was understanding and took down my information, assuring me that this would be escalated and she would follow up within a few days. It’s been over a week and I haven’t heard anything.

In the end, I left with a free 30 minute massage and a guarantee that I will never return after such horrendous customer service.

181  Thank Jessicaanglin

Dear Jessicaanglin,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are glad that you include Nordik Spa-Nature in your annual Family day weekend visit to Gatineau, we appreciate this. We would like to sincerely apologize for your experience on your last visit.

When a massage therapist does not show up for a massage, regardless of the reason, this is always a difficult situation to deal with and very disappointing for our guests. We are pleased that another therapist could give you 30-minute massage.

We will follow up with the manager on duty that day and make sure that she receives the training she requires to offer the best customer service experience to our guests in the future. It is very important that we deal with these situations in a timely manner, that we honor what we have agreed to and that we speak to the guest directly face to face.

We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Would it be possible for you to contact us directly at 819-827-1111 x 337.

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to your next visit.