“great time”

Islazul Villa Don Lino
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This hotel is very beautiful right on the ocean scenery is awesome. people are very nice. it is very quiet place. bar closes at 10pm but open at 10am so plenty of time to drink.the food well it is cuba always had something to eat. It is not for the 5 star people.If you want quiet and relaxing this is the placxe to go I would go again For 500.00 dollars all inclusive well what can you say

Room Tip: ocean front room
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank debbie195783

Reviewed 27 March 2012

My children (both teenagers) and I just spent a week at Don Lino and it was great. We had never been to Cuba before, so we were a little nervous about the trip, and the fact that Don Lino is only a 2 ½ star, made us a little more apprehensive, however, our vacation was well beyond our expectations.

I will admit that Cuban food is not great, but with the spices and extra condiments that we brought, we never went hungry. And for an added treat, we loved the pizza, fries and fried fish at the snack bar.

The staff at Don Lino was extra friendly, and helpful, and because of the small size of the resort everyone got to know one another very quickly. Our tour rep however (TMR) was never available in person, or by phone, so I would encourage anyone who runs into this problem to speak to another tour rep; Felix with Hola Sun was VERY helpful, and did an amazing job setting us up with an excursion and taxi service.

My children and I stayed in the older buildings, and we found them very comfortable, spacious and clean. Activities at Don Lino are sparse, but if you put a little effort into it, you can have a great time. My kids (with their friends) played volleyball, went horseback riding, enjoyed snorkeling, played catch and Frisbee. If you ask about the offered activities, then they will have them. If there is no interest, there are no activities. If you are interested in an added excursion, the swimming with the dolphins and snorkeling excursion is amazing. Also, we enjoyed walking outside of the resort and seeing how the area Cubans live, and we took a countryside horse and buggy ride which was well worth the $10.

I could write forever about our trip, as it was that enjoyable. Would I go back? YES! Would I try another resort? Maybe, just to see what other resorts are like.

Don Lino is truly the perfect place to go for some rest and relaxation. As one reviewer posted, time does stand still at Don Lino - in a very good way.

Room Tip: We preferred the older rooms, 1017 for example was very central to the pool, and restaurant, and not...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Wendy K
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We were in Cuba this January that passed and had a great time my hubby came home from work and told me that his company was shutting down for a week due to the weather and for me to book a trip, again I picked Cuba [ Feb,26th-March 4th 2012 ] I picked DON LINO this time not knowing what to expect. This resort is small but really nice and clean with friendy staff that will help in anyway, we were given one of the older bungalows near the beach very small and very windy,we asked to be moved to the new bungalows and was well worth it.The new bungalows have small wooden balconys it reminded me of a two story cottage it has a fridge,deep bathtub with shower our Canadian hair dryers plug into the tv outlet, we had a flat screen tv and everything is solar powered so you always have hot water. There is horse back riding that is included we rode down the street to a beautiful beach we did give a tip after the ride you must see someone near the pool and book your time, also free bikes to ride .We grabbed a cab to a little town and changed our money at the bank not much to see but the people are so friendly.The food in the resort restaurant is the same every day not bad but could be better by the way Barbara is awesome, the snack bar is only open till 400pm one can get fish,frys and sandwhiches and the odd time you can enjoy a pizza. The lobby bar closes at 930pm the bar is closed at 10pm after that everything is quiet if your looking for a party this place is not for you, thanks to all the people we met on this trip expecally the ones from Nova Scotia.We love cuba but wont be back to this resort sad to say but even at this resort young Cuban prostitutes shouldnt be allowed, if you book with Cubana airlines just remember that the plane cannot fly into the United states and it takes an extra hour because they must fly around the east coast side the food is not the greatest either ,if you need to know anything please feel free to ask.

Room Tip: We were given a old villa near the ocean very small and very windy,we asked to be changed into the n...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank suuezyq
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I didnt know what to expect going there... but i was not disapointed. My cuban husband and I wanted a quiet place and we did get this. Food is the only thing i can complain about , was not bad but not much variety, lunch we mostly had fired fish and pizza at the bar. The staff was so nice not expecting tips. The room is the best ive seen in cuba... brand new better than the 4 stars hotel ive been ( blau costa verde and Sirenis playa turquesa) always chairs available on the beach. Entertainment was the same every night , same group, however we did have a beach party that was fun and we went with the staff to the beach party at guardalavaca ( lots of fun) horse backriding was great and free! snorkeling was good. I would not hesitate to return, however bring some games if you are travelling with young kids and make sure to bring snacks as well.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Annie34Lachine
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed at the Don lino mach 8-16 2012 with my kids 7yrs, 17yrs. We had a good time as the weather was great and the beach is beautiful. Staff were pleasent and helpful, rooms were clean and pleasently furnished. There was no safe in my room which was a little annoying.
I have only 2 complaints, the food was bad! Boring and had little flavour! The only vegtables I saw for a week were cucumbers and tomatoes. The coffee was great though!
There is also no internet connection so if you are bringing a teenager with you,beware!
I would visit this resort again just to enjoy the quiet, calm relaxing enviroment. This is not the place to go for partying all night if thats what you want.

Room Tip: Choose the older rooms as they have a front yard/patio. The newer units have less privacy and small...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue M
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Had a wonderful week march 4th to 11th. A very small, but very comfortable resort.
Has everything we needed. I wanted to praise the manager, but he was off due to sickness.
The assistance manager Adrian was great, a very cool guy who to took good care of me.
Yes, I will return again for some Rest and Relaxation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank bingee
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Just got back Mar 13 2012,and again hated to leave, again we stayed 2 weeks and wish we could stay longer. The upgrades and changes are really taking shape, food was better then last yr,with some fruit and a few veggies but still a little boring after 2 weeks, BUT we never left hungry . BUT hay were there for the sun and relaxation,the rooms are still clean and tidy, the staff helpful and friendly, AND they dont forget you.. place still closes down at 10 pm , which is fine by us as were ready for bed before that anyways, Those that are looking for a all night party or a 5* , then look some wheres else, as this is not a 5 * YET , but the way there updating it wont be long, only thing they , will hopefully get internet for us that still need a little computer life, and more foods to accompany all the extra guests they will soon be able to handle.Horse back riding is still on site, not as many little animals roaming around , BUT they sure are cute when they are. If all goes well we will go again next yr, and take a couple of our kids and there families with us, as we sure missed are grandbabies

Room Tip: All the rooms , even the new ones have paper thin walls, so you hear everything, the older rooms hav...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Vickie W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rafael Freyre
17.1 km away
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
7.0 km away
Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort
121.0 km away
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
6.8 km away
Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA

Been to Islazul Villa Don Lino? Share your experiences!