“3 years in a row and still loving it!”

Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
nova scotia
“3 years in a row and still loving it!”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This was our 3 year to Brisas and I would describe it like "going home". We have had the opportunity of meeting some very special people there and love seeing them every year. The bus ride from airport to hotel is a bit of a drive but the bus and driver were very nice. Once arriving we were given our room, and to our disappointment it was in Bldg 3. A room with a very small balcony, too small to stand and doors that would not open. I went to the reception and explained that we didn't like it and were moved the following day to the other side of our bldg with an ocean view..(Fantastic!) rm 3306. We love Brisas mainly because we feel so safe and the people are wonderful.. The maids kept our room very nice and replenished our fridge each day with a large bottle of water.. There were 10 of us in our group and we enjoyed the hotel and villa buffets while we were there. The food was very good and plenty of it..We tried one of the new a la cartes , the Bucanero. It was very good and the atmosphere was great. We also tried the Italian and loved the filet mignon there..We wanted to try the International but it was fully booked or closed for weddings. There were 4 beautiful weddings..We did lots of walking while we were there plus we took the small train for 10 pesos each to the Indian village and the double decker bus for 5 pesos each to the Indian village. The new Havana club in the hotel is nice but very small. I think maybe 7 or 8 tables..If I had any complaints it would be about the entertainment..I think they had Cuban music 6 of the 7 nights we were there, very repetetive and not very interactive with the tourists.The water ballet was the best.. I can't say enough wonderful things about Brisas.. We can't wait to return next year. message me with any questions ..I would love to help if I can. I travelled with my husband and 8 others from Nova Scotia...

Room Tip: we stayed in 3306. Not the best Bldg but one of the nicest room in that villa
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank maritimertoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,149)
  • Polish first
Buckfield
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This was my first trip ever and I am soo glad we went here. I cant imagine any other place being better, all the staff we encountered were very friendly. The food was amazing, we enjoyed the buffet and grill so much we didnt go to any of the restaurants at all. I went in a group of 5 and none of us had any complaints!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 466 (3rd floor) and had an amazing view of the beach and the main stage entertainm...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Northamptonshire
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We went to the Britas with a (fairly) open mind and are delighted to report that our hopes were met (and indeed exceeded) in every way. Very friendly staff (pls tip them though, however small the amount as you'll rarely have such an opportunity to make such a difference to someone's life by such a small gesture), the food was fine (though we SO enjoyed the "bookable" restaurants in the evenings), great scenary , and very very professional entertainment in the evenings).
Outside of the hotel we did organised excursions to Santiago (a 3 hour journey but well worth it) and to the baseball at Holguin (ask reception) . Independently we took taxis to Holguin and used Lonely Planet book to guide us round (recommended 1720 restuarant for lunch) , and also to the Rocazul nature park.
Finally if you dive, the dive centre some 15 minutes walk away (or a boat ride ..ask reception) proved very professional.
All in all..highly recommended !!

Room Tip: We had a "garden room" which overlooked the car park. Not the greatest view (though not ba...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NorthantsPaul
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was my 3rd time to Holguin Cuba, I started travelling here in December of 2010 and have made an attempt to go back at least once every year.

This was my first time staying at the Brisas Guardalavaca and let's just say I'm already coming back in June of 2012!

I booked just a gardenview room, my room was located on a front facing corner of the main hotel and I had a beautiful view of the town, ocean and main road in front of the hotel. It was very nice to see the workers coming in each day and the Cuban people getting ready to go to the market:) I'm a people watcher and explorer so for me this was nice to see. My housekeeper was exceptional and very sweet always doing little things to make the room more comfortable she always had time for a quick chat each day asking how I was and how my trip was, just a genuine nice woman.

The staff at the resort are a little younger than the last resort I've stayed at but they are some of the hardest working people there too. The bartenders in the snack bar were always nice as well as the waitresses I enjoyed being able to talk and get to know them . The 2 guys that run the pizza grill and sandwich place in the snack bar are a riot they sure know how to draw a crowd and are super friendly (the pizza and ham and cheese are to die for!) Michael the dj always drew a great crowd and was lots of fun and kept the music going and the mood upbeat I hope he's there again when I go back! The lovely lady at the churro stand is by far the sweetest person I have ever met she stayed later just to make sure a few children go their "doughnuts" too.

The beach is amazing, sometimes a little hard to find a chair if there are a lot of people staying on the resort, but I was able to spend a few days there :) the beach is a public beach so you will see local people enjoying it as well, which for me was nice I met a really lovely lady with 2 little babies they were some of the most well behaved kids I have ever seen and very appreciative I had purchased them each a can of cola from the store as it was a hot day and the oldest of the babies had her mother find a beautiful flower so she could bring it to me, it melt my heart.

The food is typical of what you would expect in Cuba, but they do wonders with what little they do have and I thoroughly enjoyed every meal, I wasn't able to make it to any of the sit down dinners but I loved the buffet variety as I like to choose what I want.

The nightly entertainment is great I always enjoy the shows put on by the residents. The aqua ballet is phenomenal!! I also enjoyed the Saturday night live cuban singing and dancing troupes as well as the beach disco, its so beautiful to watch under the stars. Cuban day is also great they have a wide variety of local drinks for both kids and adults I really enjoyed the fresh coconut one ! they also had authentic cuban sandwiches being made, games and prizes, as well as a beautiful band.

The pool is great as well lots of different people hanging out I didn't get a chance to go to the pool in the villas area but it seemed to be a lot of families there as well . The swim up bar in the main pool was fun, Jose is a riot and loves to joke around but is very efficient in doing his job nobody went thristy!

Over all I loved this hotel, I took my mom here as an early birthday present and I know she wants to go back too! I can't wait to go in June again with my 2 friends and see all my Cuban friends again xo

Room Tip: If you are the type of person who doesn't like to have to walk to far then staying in the main h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
18 Thank Meaghan P
Ottawa
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The accomodations is what you would expect from Cuba, very simple but clean which is all that matters. The beach is like the rest of Cuba which is next to none; amazing white sand and the beach is very calm and clear.

The staff are very nice and very easy going, they make do with what they have which is not very much so please make sure to tip. The only draw back was the food which was NOT terrible but it was not the best, but please keep in mind that i was at this resort 3 years ago and from readin the recent reviews it seems that it has gotten much better.

Book with no fear, the people of this beautiful country will make your vacation the best you have regardless of anything else that you may think is negative.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank imad_kaddouh
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was our second time at Brisas and we were very pleased with the changes in the 7 years since we last visited. Enjoyed the roof-top Havana bar,the additional a la cartes and the friendliness of the long time staff. We chose to stay in the hotel, overlooking the beach and the stage,knowing it would be noisy but as we are hardly in our room at night except to fall asleep ,tired out ,the noise was not a serious problem for us and the view made it worthwhile. A rooster which crowed every morning around 4AM woke us up more than the music or talk did. It was also handy to be right in the building with the bars and buffet in case the weather was rainy ( which it wasn't ) The boardwalk along the water to the public beach makes for a lovely stroll ,there is the additional option of walkingin the other direction to the small fishing village. We had wonderful snorkeling just out from the pier ( a large variety of fish and fan corals ) ,enjoyed the shooting each day with Chino,sailed on the Hobies,played tennis,took the all day jeep tour ( very worthwhile and a long day ! ) They certainly give you a tour of the area and a variety of activities. We also rented mopeds ( $19 for 4 hours ) and drove through the lovely countryside to Banes and the Marina road as well. It is so nice to get out into the countryside and see the real Cuba ,away from the tourist areas. It was our first experience flying with Hola Sun and although the plane left on time both ways ,it is certainly a bare basics experience as far as passenger service ,meals or drinks onboard are concerned. Both take-offs and landings were quite bumpy in the back of the plane. There were 6 of us "older" adults and we would definitely consider returning to Brisas Guardalavaca .It is a great spot to go.

Room Tip: Two couples were happy with our oceanview rooms (4h floor ) which do tend to be noisy until 10:30pm...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank 154976Happy
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I would highly recomend this Hotel as it has been far the best one yet in the last 4 trips to Cuba. We have stayed in Varadero 3 times but as this was our first in Holquin we weren`t sure what to expect. The food was great, many bars and resturants on premises and beach was fantastic.Friendly staff and all spoke good English. Definately would return to The Brisas.

Robert abd Patricia Reynolds

Room Tip: Try to stay in the bungalo section as i had heard from other guests that the hotel rooms were a bit...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank bobbo25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
135.2 km away
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,622 reviews
3.9 km away
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel? Share your experiences!