“Fabulous Holiday”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
stoke on trent
“Fabulous Holiday”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We had a great time at the Brisas, myself, my husband and two daughters all loved it. It was so relaxing and friendly. We spent everyday on the beach and always found shade under a tree or parasol if we go up early enough, but you could get sunbeds for most of the day. The pool area was stifling hot as there was no breeze so we stuck with the beach and it was a beautiful beach. The local market was only a short walk away by either the promenade or the main road and well worth visiting, though the costs of items were pretty much the same as on resort.

We had connecting rooms in the hotel which we asked for and they were great, OK so they were tired, but everything worked and had everything we needed, the maid cleaned them daily and left fresh towels and made wonderful towel art. We had views of the beach and the pool and we didn't hear too much noise at night from the 24 hour bar. We preferred the hotel to the Villa as we had our kids with us and it was closer to everything for them, but if we were on our own I would probably have preferred larger rooms that the Villas have.

All the staff were friendly and we never saw a miserable face whilst there. We ate in all the restaurants, and the Italian and the International were our favourite for food but the Seafood had the best atmosphere as the waiters all have mini acts, such as singing, magic, musicians and they put on a few mini shows in between serving food in the evening which I thought was great. We loved the Cuban for breakfast as it was so relaxing sitting overlooking the beach whilst breakfast is served to you, a much nicer experience than the Buffet, but the food was OK in the buffet too and we didn't have a bad meal whilst there.

We went to the disco a couple of times and my eldest daughter went with friends she had made, it was great fun, though my husband and I didn't stay till the end as we were worn out by all the sunbathing and fresh air!!

We met great friends at the TA meal which we went to and I would recommend others do this to meet your fellow TA'ers, as we hopefully will stay in touch.

We renewed our vows whilst there and it was amazing, so much better than I expected (and I expected it to be amazing) and Yoania the wedding co-ordinator was great and so approachable - I felt and was treated like a princess by everyone, staff and fellow guests alike.

We had gorgeous weather for the most part but our last day and half was on/off rain and so much rain on our final day that we were flooded but the maid came to the rescue with towels and soon cleaned it up with buckets and mops.

The rep was also very attentive and kept us up to date with flight times etc.

All in all it was great holiday and would recommend it to anyone of any age as whatever you want, whether it be quiet, relaxing or fun, you will find it. And yes, we would go again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank skinny1307

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,161)
  • Polish first
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Just back from another great stay at Brisas. Loved it as usual! We brought some first timers again this year and they absolutely loved it.
The resort has had some great upgrades and they are very well received by everyone I talked with. The Havana Club bar is very nice and overlooks a great deal of the resort from the top of the hotel (very hot in the afternoon!)...Awesome sunsets from there! The Bucanero and The International restaurants are very classy additions as well.
Checked in, bags dropped off to room, and was at the bar meeting up with friends within 20 minutes...It was 10:30 p.m. so things were smoother than mid day and, (being on the hotel side), there weren't as many people checking in as the villa side.
Met up with many other folks who have, by chance, been at Brisas various other years the same time as I...Guess they share the same fondness of the place as I have. As well, got to meet many new friends who were first-timers to this resort and they all enjoyed their stay as well.
It did rain a good part of 3 days while I was there...how can I ever forgive the resort for that??? LOL! (just kiddin') On the last night of rain, they had the largest rain storm in 15 years (according to locals). I have included pics with this review of the massive erosion of the beach. I was told by one of the workers on the beach that they would be trucking new sand in from Guardalavaca beach area...I'm sure they will have that done soon, as they were working on it the very next morning(but maybe on Cuba time...lol).
We didn't let the rain spoil one minute of our vacation...I'd rather be in Cuban rain than Canadian snow!!!
The food I chose was fine and I usually stick to things that I am familiar with in the ala cartes and buffets...some things I am hungry for now that I'm back home....mmmmm chicken and fries....... You can even order poutine (fries, gravy and cheese for those not familiar) at the 24 hr grill.
We had an awesome Trip Advisor dinner with very awesome folks from Scotland and Wales. What an awesome way to put faces to names you see on the site!
I always manage to meet great, new friends here and this year was no exception.....
In a nut shell, It was a great stay, and although this resort may not be for everyone, it is my favorite of the resorts I've been to in Cuba and I am looking forward to returning next year!!!
Till then.....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thank Annap.Valley
South East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This hotel is now very tired; e.g. one of the chairs in our room had a broken leg, water dripped in from the bathroom above, the television didn't work.
The buffet area felt like a noisy canteen, if you have to go there it's better to go later in service to avoid a queue, families with children are allowed to queue jump. The bookable restaurants are a far better option, both in atmosphere and food choice; you can book these from the Saturday morning for the week ahead.
The hotel is right on the beach and has a number of pools.

Room Tip: The quality of the rooms is very variable. Rooms in the villas are in a quieter location than in the...
3 Thank scallyuk
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed at the Brisas at the end of March for two weeks as a couple. We were in block 4 of the villas and had a lovely ocean view.
We went well prepared and had read hundreds of reviews as so many of us do so we knew exactly what to expect, however....this hotel exceeds everything we had read. Take no notice of those that moan about, shabby this and tired that. We saw a few cracked floor tiles, that's all! The rooms are fresh and kept spotlessly clean, the outside areas are fresh and spotlessly clean, they work continuously to improve and of course Cuba is a wonderful wonderful place with breathtaking scenery and beaches to die for. The Cubans are warm, friendly and very accommodating and it was their hospitality that truly made this holiday as amazing as it was.
To be laying in that warm sunshine when a gardener comes along, pulls a coconut down from the tree, whip off the top, pop in a straw and hand it over with a smile and a tip of his hat was great. The bartender in El Patio (sorry his name escapes me but he looked like Nat King Cole ;o) who called out 'Morning honey' with a wave every morning, the friendly reception staff, yes I said friendly, in fact the only bad attitude encountered at the desk was the guests not the staff! The man on the beach who swept leaves and sea weed who always said good morning, in fact everyone said 'hola' with a smile, even a group of Cuban teens who were walking along the beach one day, everyone we came across was so friendly.
If you want to compare this hotel to the 5* down the road or sparkling new resorts in other countries then you're only setting yourself up for a fall but if you want to visit and experience Cuba in a clean, friendly and beachfront location then this is the place for you.

Your holiday is what YOU make it. Brisas will provide you with the tools and the rest is up to you. You will notice on here that some people party, some chill, sightsee or just unwind. Whatever your holiday expectations are then you have everything you need to achieve exactly that at Brisas
One thing I will never forget about Cuba is that we all talk of the poverty etc but I'll say this. They may be poorer in the bank but their lives are far richer that we could ever hope to achieve and that shows, go on, go and see for yourself.

27 Thank Starider1969
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Nice rooms, good food / drinks, excellent beaches, friendly and attentive staff. Absolutely lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the pool / stage area if you are seeking peace and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Boudica_Blighty
Didsbury, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Holiday was wonderful. Very warm, grounds were beautiful, TONES of food that had flavor, shopping within 5 minutes (walking) and entertainment everywhere!!!!!!!!!! Danelle a "local" (horse and buggy guy) took us to his home. The only thing that really PISSED me off was in my mini fridge they only gave me ONE BOTTLE OF WATER FOR THE WHOLE WEEK! I had to buy the rest. I complained a LOT, but they told me to go to the bar and they would give me some from the tap. YUCK. They knew I was nursing my baby, but still refused to give me anything more than that ONE BLLEEEEPPPING bottle. Other than that the resort was wonderful and beautiful and the staff were AWESOME...everyone spoke english and other languages!!!!
Trina

Room Tip: The rooms were okay, but the beds were very firm. SPARE BED was AWFUL! Firm like the main bed, but y...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Trina W
Hamilton
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We never tried Cuba mainly because of the bad food reviews, we love to eat & I especially would be miserable if I didn't like the food. Well, we finally decided to go and think we must have picked the right resort. The food was great at the buffet & there's 6 a la cartes, we tried 2, the seafood & the Buccanere, both were excellent. We were happy eating at the buffet, so much to choose from, always fresh. The resort was also very clean, the weather beautiful, great entertainment every night. We enjoyed walking along the beach boardwalk to the flea market almost every day. Our room was oceanview, third floor, beautiful!!! Our only regret was that we only went for 1 week. We're going back very soon...

Al & C.C.

Room Tip: We liked where we stayed, 3rd floor oceanview, we didn't find it noisy, some people say the vill...
1 Thank Cecilia C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
10.8 km away
10.7 km away
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel? Share your experiences!