“3 star at best.....probably will not return”

Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Upon arrival at our hotel (10:30 p.m.) we were told our names were not on the "list", therefore we had no room. Three other couples were sitting in the lobby with the same problem. We were told to go to the bar while they clear up the problem. I went to the bar only to be told that they are closing, they gave me 2 ounces of white wine in a martini glass, that wat it!! Back to the lobby where they shipped us off to another hotel (Amigos) for the night. Got to the room to discover no water bottle, called the main desk and was told "no room service". We had to walk back to our original hotel (10 min. walk at midnight) to get a bottle of water and ice. We sat in the lobby for another 20 min. waiting. I then requested that someone drive us back to the Amigos. Waited another 10 min. for that to happen. Finally back at our temporary room, we went to bed. The next day we made our way back to Brisas and was told our room would be ready at 12:30 lunch time. Public relations manager came to see us and apologized for the trouble. She offered us a bottle of water every day in our room, a bottle of rum, free safety deposit box and a reservation at the seafood resto. We were content with that. Once in our room, my husband showered and ran out of water. The water just trickled down. (not enought for my shower) I went to shower behind the gym which is old, not maintained, no hot water and in a remote area. My husband stood at the door. We did not receive our bottle of water everyday, and a couple of days later the toilet stopped working. We did call the front desk with each problem and they did their best to resolve them. The reservation at the seafood resto. was excellent. We did not even look at the menu. The waiter just kept serving us platters of seafood. Including rock lobster tails. The experience was great, and I expressed my appreciation to the public relation manager.

You have to get up very early to get a beach chair. We were there everyday at 8:00 am and some chairs were already reserved!! I was interested to see when these people would turn up to claim there chairs. One day I noticed at 8:00 am that four chairs were tied together with towels under a palapa. I left the beach at 3:00 in the afternoon, and still no one had showed up to claim those chairs. The beach is a public beach so the locals hang around with their families and just sit under the trees, hoping someone will bring them food and drink. Other than that they do not bother you. A few stray dogs and cats also wander around the resort.

On departure day the public relations manager requested to see me at 10:00am. When I got to her office she requested that I sign a letter stating all was satisfactory. I stated that although I appreciated their efforts I still had the problems with my room, and the fact that I waited 18 hours for a room. Due to these reasons I refused to sign the letter and requested that my first night spent at Amigo Hotel be refunded. The request was denied, but offered me instead the VIP Lounge at the airport. I agreed to this and signed the amended letter. A staff member met us at the airport and brought us directly to the front of every line-up and passed us through. I was sitting in the VIP lounge within 20 min. Had a few snacks and a glass of white wine.

Food was the usual for Cuba, the bars are sufficient. They have a exclusive bar on the second floor of the lobby where they serve liqour not offered at the other bars i.e. Armaretto, whiskey. But don't expect to sit and have a quiet drink before dinner, because you will be standing in line behind 10 year olds sitting at the bar demanding more coke.

Grounds are kept clean and pool area cleaned everyday. Staff are polite and respectful. Tips are appreciated and help them alot. Animation crew are good and keep the activities going. Evening shows are fun to watch. The bar in the pool area stays open all 24hrs so can get loud during the night.

In general we had a good time at this hotel despite the problems. The staff really tried hard to clear up any issues. I probably would not return due to the uncertainty of having a room upon arrival. We booked with a travel agent and had a confirmation number for our reservations.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 556. Ocean view, but also pool view. So can get very loud during the night becau...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank manon101
Write a ReviewReviews (4,214)

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Hotel Villa area is dated and the rooms need some up grading. Hotel is OK but rooms need some updating as well. Food was great in all areas of the resort. Beach was ok and the pool at the Hotel was very nice but the pools in the villa section needed more cleaning. I would not likely go back until up grades are made.

Room Tip: Stay in the Villa section if possible..
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank RDC12345
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were just at this hotel from April 13 to the 20 and had a great time. The weather wasn't the best but the rest was great. The hotel has added new resturants and they are great. If you go to this hotel you have to check out the International Resturant, the new chef is very young and has loads of talent. His menu is out of this world. The other new resturants are good also but this one takes the cake. The food is much better in the buffet parts, I say this as we have been to this resort 26 times now and it keeps getting better each time we go back.

Room Tip: If you want quiet rooms than have one facing the front of the hotel, the ocean view rooms can be noi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank patandjake
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Everything was great at the resort, lots to do, staff was very accommodating and friendly.
There were different restaurants to eat, nothing super spectacular, but there is variety and keeps you full =) The beach is very nice too, not too crowded. Don't forget to watch the water ballet, well worth it!
Rooms are a little bit old, but it is well kept and maintained (clean).
There is a local market nearby, walk-able distance.
It was a very relaxed vacation.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher level room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jimmy P
Reviewed 23 April 2012

spent 2 weeks at brisas and had a whale of a time.met some lovely people, joe and dee especially who were great company.food was superb in main buffet plus you had the choice of six ala-carte restaraunts, seafood being my favourite with the singing waiter.would also reccomend to try donna barbara a little place just 5 minutes taxi ride just up the road outside the hotel (superb meal all pleasantly cooked and served ) .top notch.brisas staff very pleasant and helpful from check in,waiters,chambermaids,barstaff, and gardeners.also try and visit havana bar at tea times for the sunset ,and the rum is great too.

Room Tip: if you like it quiet stop in villas or front view of hotel,if you want a good view with a litte bit...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travellermad
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This was my first time in Cuba and I would defiantly go back in a second! The food wasn't all that great but once you found something you liked you'd just stick with that. The staff were amazing they were so nice! I would defiantly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Bree-anna B
Reviewed 21 April 2012

If poolside relaxation and beach bumming around is what you're after, then Brisas is the place to go.

The atmosphere is pretty upbeat and everyone tends to have a good time here.

I've visited this resort twice, and both times it was an enjoyable experience. While it's not a taste of what Cuba really is, it has it's charms. The rooms were clean and well kept on a daily basis.

The only downside was the food in the buffet restaurant, but who goes to Cuba for good food? If you want good food the a la carte restaurants tend to provide a much higher quality of food than the general buffet, or you could try going somewhere off the resort.

If you don't mind loud noise several times per day, get an oceanview hotel room. If you prefer a more quiet atmosphere, go with a villa or non-oceanview room.

Great resort destination at an affordable price, who can ask for more?

Room Tip: If you don't mind loud noise several times per day, sometimes until 11pm, get an oceanview hotel...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adrian A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
0.7 km away
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
135.2 km away
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
596.1 km away
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
#2 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel? Share your experiences!