We just returned from a 1 week stay at this hotel and absolutely loved it. The weather was great, the service outstanding, the staff eager to please and fix any problems that may occur. The rooms were clean. We had the superior package on the Luna side and well worth the extra. We celebrated our wedding anniversary and the staff did everything to make the day special. A bottle of champagne in the room, discount on a couple's massage, dinner a la carte at the French Restaurant where they prepared an anniversary cake for us. With the superior package, we got 4 guaranteed a la carte reservations. The Italian had to be the best. Also had a guaranteed ocean view. We had requested a room on the 3rd floor in the 7000 block which we got. But when we got there we thought the 6000 block had a better view. So we requested a change and ended up in room 6306. It was perfect. They had told us that block 6000 had not been renovated but actually the furniture was the same as in block 7000 (which has been renovated) and the bathroom was bigger with 2 sinks. Special mentions go to Yadira Tejeda, the supervisor at the Mares lobby desk. She ensured we got all we wanted and with a smile. Yenalay, our bartender at the Luna lobby bar was oustanding. Yaqueline and Myriam our room maids were very pleasant. Neobis our waitress at the Italian restaurant made our evening a memorable experience. So many more of the staff made our stay special. The Cuban people are truly pleasant, warm and so welcoming. Always a smile ready for anyone. We used the exercise room every day but the equipment is not the best. But we made the best of it anyhow. The only hitch is that they ran out of certain food at times. One example is at the French restaurant, they ran out of smoked salmon. At the Galilleo Snak bar they ran out of pizza and at the Mares Buffet, they ran out of their amazing Banana Flambees. I guess those were popular choices. But even though Cuba is not known for their food, I must say that the variety and quality of the food was better than expected. Pleasantly surprised by how well we ate. The snorkeling is amazing. Just walk into the water at the point and swim away into a beautiful underwater life. The beach was nice but does not copare to Varadero beaches where we stayed 5 years ago. But overall I would rate our stay as excellent. Do give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four -Star All Inclusive Resort with 464 rooms. Located beachfront in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province, where visitors will be amazed by the dazzling superposition of blues and greens from the sea, sky and costal shrubbery. This hotel complex is surrounded by extensive green areas and offers a wide variety of services and attractions. Recommended for families, weddings, honeymoons and tourist groups.Guest Rooms464 rooms: 308 Standard, 108 Standard Ocean View, 30 Standard Superior Ocean View, 6 Junior Suite, 4 Suite, 8 Family Suite Ocean ViewDining7 Restaurants (A la Carta, Buffet), 6 Bars ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Expedia, Booking.com and Cancelon so you can book your Sol Rio de Luna y Mares reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Hotel Guardalavaca
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Resort
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Guardalavaca, Holguin Province, Cuba