This was our first time at this hotel and in Cuba and I admit we were wary. After a very long 10 hour flight we arrived very tired and were not over impressed. We were given a room on the Mares side and yes the rooms are very dated but more importantly they are clean. We are used to 4* in Mexico and this did not meet our expectations. Maintenance left a lot to be desired. A day when the heavens opened, rain was pouring through the light fittings in the buffet restaurant! The thought of spending 2 weeks here did not seem appealing. That was day one out of the way. Day 2 we started to look around and get a feel for the place and started to think things were not so bad after all. By day 3 we were converted! We started to take in the beauty of the surroundings and enjoyed what was on offer. I must say most of the staff here are the friendliest we have come across.
We are not fond of loud noise and energetic entertainment which was on offer on the mares side, so therefore we would spend the day on the beach or by the Luna Pool where it was much more calmer and peaceful. The beach as has been said before is beautiful. It can get windy down there though this keeps you cool frm the hot sun. Our 2nd week, the wind was too strong to sit on the beach as it was blowing sand all over us.
There is very little to do outside the hotel. we took the train ride into Guardalavaca 3CUC return. This was a great laugh. Here you will find a small flea market mainly selling wooden carvings, jewellery and t shirts. Prices very reasonable.
The hotel offers mini excursions evey day. Some are free, others cost 6CUC. We took advantage of one which took us to a little fishing village where we also visited a local school, doctors house and a look around the home of a well respected person in the village. We found it very interesting. Take walking shoes/trainers as some excursions require this type of footwear.
Speciality restaurants:- Our favourites were the French and Romantica restaurants. Mexican was very nice though bit dissappointed with the Italian. No problems getting booked at any of these.
By the end of our holiday I was even considering that I would return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four -Star All Inclusive Resort with 464 rooms. Located beachfront in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province, where visitors will be amazed by the dazzling superposition of blues and greens from the sea, sky and costal shrubbery. This hotel complex is surrounded by extensive green areas and offers a wide variety of services and attractions. Recommended for families, weddings, honeymoons and tourist groups.Guest Rooms464 rooms: 308 Standard, 108 Standard Ocean View, 30 Standard Superior Ocean View, 6 Junior Suite, 4 Suite, 8 Family Suite Ocean ViewDining7 Restaurants (A la Carta, Buffet), 6 Bars ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Sol Rio de Luna y Mares reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Hotel Guardalavaca
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Resort
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Guardalavaca, Holguin Province, Cuba