“Not so good ...”
Review of The Hawberry Motel

The Hawberry Motel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Little Current
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Upon entering the room, the stale odour was the first thing noticed. Then the freezing cold. I turned the heat on, left for work for four hours, came back to a still-freezing room. Put on warm pjs, climbed into bed and ended up using the covers from the second bed for warmth. The next morning, shower, the shampoo packet had been opened and used. How disgusting. The hairdryer sounded like it was going to blow up, but luckily I had brought my own. Alas, the plug in the bathroom didn't work. Oh, and the parking lot was glare ice, everywhere, with no attempt or indication that sand or salt had been applied. The weather was perfect that day and the day before, so it had to have been an accumulation. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ruth C

Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed at the Hawberry Motel in Little Current on our way to the ferry at South Baymouth.Evie was delightful and helpful on the front desk. It was a standard room; very clean,comfortable bed , fridge and T.V. Just Right. Ate at Garry,s Restaurant great White Fish.Thanks Evie.

Room Tip: Book ahead for a deluxe room.
Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank leslie088
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My husband and I were in Little Current for a very special reason. I was born in Little Current 62 years ago and never had the opportunity to travel "home." Having a comfortable and friendly place to stay was therefore very important to us.

We read the reviews on the motel before checking in and out of the majority of the accommodations on the island saw that the Hawberry Motel had the best ratings for an affordable and friendly stay. We were not disapointed.

My husband and I were pleased with the comfort and cleanliness of the upper level room that we booked. It was cool with the air conditioning and all other appliances were in excellent working order. There were lots of fresh towels, pillows were comfortable. Great reception regarding wireless access, television reception was very good as well.

The other residents that stayed at the motel were friendly. We didn't have to worry about any noise. There was a really nice view from the side of the motel. Very close access to downtown area and wharf.

Evie, the host was the lovliest young women. My husband and I thought she was a real sweetheart. She checked with us to make sure that all was well and if we needed anything. She was interested in where we were from and excited to hear our story of why we were visiting Little Current.

Staying at the Hawberrry was truly one of the highlights of our visit and I know we would come back to stay again. We would recommend this Motel to anyone!

Thank you, Evie!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cathy H
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We went on a fishing trip to Manitoulin Island and decided to stay in Little Current. We toured the town looking for a place to stay, checked few motels around and thought of trying Hawberry Motel as it looked very attractive and maintained from outside, so we went and checked out the rooms. We were two families so we had two separate rooms. Both the rooms were impeccably clean. The beds were very comfortable. We had free internet service which was great. The staff was friendly and made us feel as if we were at home away from our home. They were very kind and looked after our needs. We were so comfortable that we decided to stay one extra night and extended our stay to three days. We would definitely recommend this motel. Can’t wait to go there again. Thanks Hawberry Motel for making our trip so enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cindy P
Reviewed 4 September 2011

My wife and I checked into the Hawberry Motel Aug. 31 after a very uncomfortable night at the Anchor Inn further downtown.

We started looking for other accommodations first thing Wednesday morning (8:30 a.m.) and quickly decided to stop in at the Hawberry for a look around.

The proprietor greeted us immediately and we were instantly charmed with her helpful manner and friendliness. She quickly showed me a couple of basic rooms, which were perfect for our needs. When I mentioned we were looking for wireless Internet access, she suggested a room closer to the front of the motel where the signal was better.

We decided to take the room, which was a perfect size for us, including a small refrigerator. The bed was quite comfortable, the room was clean, as was the bathroom. The price was also quite reasonable.

We returned to the Anchor Inn to check out and pack up, and were happily settled into the Hawberry with 90 minutes.

We stayed for two nights, and were totally pleased with the motel, which was located conveniently close to restaurants, gas, and within walking distance to the swing bridge.

Interestingly, we met up with another person who had stayed at the Anchor Inn and moved as well in favor of the Hawberry.

We didn't see them, but the motel also offers larger deluxe rooms. The proprietor offered to show one to us, but the basic room was more than sufficient for our needs.

I'd recommend the Hawberry to anyone traveling to Little Current with no doubts whatsoever!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank tsg1965
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Let me start first of all with what a great stay I had at Hawberry Motel and it was not the first. Most comfortable beds and I travel a lot. Super clean bathrooms and very friendly staff. Now I want to address the writer of the review “Acceptable But”. Sir if you were told about the motel at the entrance by Information centre how come you still chose to go ahead with this motel. It’s very surprising to me. At least if I were you I would have chosen some other motel. But maybe you did check other motels and still came back to Hawberry Motel to stay there as I know the other motels are not very pleasant to stay. Anyways, I completely disagree with this review. I know that the rooms have been upgraded and it shows. I have stayed at Hawberry Motel before the renovation was done and there is a huge difference in the rooms. I have stayed in both Basic and Deluxe rooms and I have always found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. I have no idea why people first choose with their own will and later complain. I had an absolute wonderful stay. I have always recommended this motel to my friends and families and will always do.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank William K
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This accomodation shows the wear and tear of a summer tourist season. It is incumbent upon the owners that some money be spent in the off-season to address such issues as mustiness(probably condensate from the poorly maintained window air conditioners), upgraded bedding, newer balanced tables, minimum seating, and better quality toiletries. A new business plan with a new mission statement to include a fresher more vigorous attitude toward client comment and satisfaction.
Upon entering Manitoulin Island at Little Current we were told by the Information Center person that that there were continuing complaints about this hotel becoming more run-down. This sort of commentary can have long term consequences. Bad news travels fast. There is much potential here and the profit motive has to be balanced with a service philosophy that reflects a better desire to offer good value.

Room Tip: General run down appearance to everything. End of long season?
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
28.7 km away
Massey Motel
Massey Motel
#2 of 2 in Massey

Been to The Hawberry Motel? Share your experiences!