“Flawless - 100%”

Hotel Le Chalet Blanc
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Montgenevre
Reviewed 7 March 2011

This place is a dream. Its like you would imagine your perfect home would be, but with waiters. It doesnt feel like a hotel, but a luxury home. The staff are attentive, the facilities are great and the location is fantastic. The pistes start 1 minute walk away, there is ski hire literally on the doorstep and overall the resort is brilliant. We travelled in late February - I honestly cannot remember queuing for a single lift. The resort lies on the Frence-Italian border and you can ski both sides - there is more than enough skiing to be had even for seasoned skiers. I cannot stress enough - this is a great Hotel within a great resort. I'd recommend this place to friends, family, and anoyone else who asked. I expect to hear much more from Montgenevre in the future.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 March 2011

I found Hotel Le Chalet Blanc when it was in its infancy and have watched it blossom over the past three years. I have stayed at the Hotel with my friends and family in the past - getting back 06/03/11 (yesterday) on my most recent visit.

This year I had broken my thumb before departure but decided to go nonetheless as I enjoy the atmosphere of the hotel, the staff who are always friendly and who remember me from pervious visits.

The rooms are small but practical with the traditional wooden walls, balconies as standard and quality furnishings such as the wet-room shower (in some rooms only) or the fur throw on the bed. You can get a family room over two floors or a standard en-suite double/twin to suit your purposes.

The restaurant has changed over the years to offer a delicious selection of traditional cuisine. I ate fundue there on Saturday night which was as good as I had ever had. The service was very attentive with eggs being cracked into the bowl half-way through to alter the taste. I have also eaten the hamburger which was great (home-made) and ceaser salad.

This year, the Hotel has opened a new bar called Pure which has quickly become one of the most popular in the resort. The Scottish-French modern ambience with wooden stag head coupled with a DJ area and impressive sound system mean you can have a relaxed drink early on before twirling on the dancefloor with the young and old as the night progresses. There was a live band playing while I was there (see photo).

I will certainly be back in 2012 and have recommended this hotel to many of my friends.

Nick, London

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Going skiing with a group of people who were extremely proficient, as a total beginner I was a little worried about what to expect. My stay at Le Chalet Blanc did, however exceed all expectations, from the hearty and delicious breakfasts provided to fuel a day of energetic falling over, to the warm comfort of cake and hot chocolate next to a roaring log fire for apres ski.
The hotel combined the personal touch of friendly staff, small chalet atmosphere and country house feel with a competently run bar, brasserie, restaurant and spa, allowing for total relaxation.
It is conveniently located near the pistes to enable practically a ski- in lounge, with ski hire and other conveniences located a few paces from the entrance.
In my opinion the hotel caters for every need - whilst being able to have a racously good time with friends in the adjoining bar, I saw families relaxing over a game of chess in the lounge.

I would recommend Le Chalet Blanc to any skier.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jgriff13
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Having spent my first night in the hotel I had to recheck tripadvisor to make sure I wasn't going mad - the last few reviews have all been glowing and my experience wasn't living up to the others. But I have learnt something - tripadvisor will prioritise the views in your own language (unless you change the default settings). You get a very different picture on the Hotel Le Chalet Blanc if you read the reviews posted in French first

In any event, when a hotel uses terms like 'luxury' and 'exquisite seasonal dining' you expect a certain standard. Dinner was edible but that's about it - we had paid for half board and the portions for the set menu were tiny (sea bass for the main one evening and I have never been served such a small piece of fish - I am only exaggerating slightly when I say I have been served larger scallops elsewhere!). At least dessert provoked laughter from the couple sitting next to us - we we expecting a 'duo of chocolat' which turned out to be two squirts of chocolate cream sitting on a piece of wet sponge. I have eaten at Michelin starred restaurants but this wasn't fine dining - this was clearly a business trying to cut costs. Breakfast was poor (a cooked breakfast which took at least 30 mins to arrive and poached eggs that bordered on raw). My partner found a slither of glass in his meal. Whoever fitted out the shoebox sized rooms did a good job (the bed is very good quality) but there's no information provided bar a couple of plastic laminates on spa treatments. There's a safe - but no instructions on how to use it. Apparently the hotel has room service - but there's no menu from which to order.

There are no special touches you would normally expect - normally after a days skiing you come back to find cakes provided. We got the left over 'duo of chocolat'. With the exception of the chap staffing the bar in the evening who understood what hospitality should be about the rest of the staff seemed a bit aimless and almost embarrassed by their product. Cleanliness was also an issue (tables left uncleaned, dirty glasses at the bar).

I'm sure the owner won't be impressed by my comments but they are fair - I'm not an overly critical person and I'd point to my other reviews on tripadvisor which are generally positive. I didn't raise the issues I had at the time because when a hotel is this far adrift of expectations there is something fundamentally wrong. I won't be returning.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RetiredearlyLondon
LeChaletBlanc, Owner at Hotel Le Chalet Blanc, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2011

Dear Sir or Madam

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, I’m just sorry that you didn’t come to speak to me. We are committed to understanding and ensuring the comfort of our guests and strive to resolve any concerns that may arise during their stay with us. It helps us to constantly improve the quality of our service.

Although I am unable to identify you by name and thus the exact dates of your stay, I believe I can reply confidently to your concerns regarding the quality of the food during your stay. I fully agree with your comments regarding the ‘duo de chocolat’. This was brought to my attention by a client residing at the hotel who made a similar comment to your observation. The desert was immediately withdrawn and replaced with a desert you would expect in a hotel of our quality. I can also advise that we replaced our chef shortly after this incident and I am pleased to report that the quality and quantity of our food has subsequently been received to much acclaim. Furthermore I can announce that our new Chef, Thierry Cattant and his team will be back with us next winter.

I am delighted that you found the decorations and furnishings to your satisfaction. All bedrooms are unique and vary in size from our Classic, smallest, to larger Suites and Duplexes. Sadly I cannot identify your room but I would have been delighted to show you the options available.

It is our goal to make every guest’s experience positively memorable and we look forward to the opportunities that allow us to do so.

Yours sincerely
Alan Hutson
Proprietor

Reviewed 6 February 2011

Reading the other reviews I find myself nodding in agreement. This is a little gem of a hotel, very new and tastefully decorated with two open fires in the bar - perfect for apres ski cocktails. The staff all speak English well (and the owner is English). Very friendly and helpful. The rooms are compact (as is usual in ski resorts) but comfortable.
The food is very good though there was only a fixed menu in the evenings. The only 'weak' point was very slow (and slightly odd) service at dinner, where the waiter insisted on pouring our wine for the people at the table behind us despite our remonstrations! Despite this lapse definitely recommended.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2010

From the moment I arrived at this beautifully designed hotel tucked into the French Alps until the time I headed home, my experience at the Hotel LeChalet Blanc was something extraordinarily special. I travel a great deal internationally for my business, and have found it rare to come across an attentive, skilled staff in an attractive, roomy and clean boutique hotel. The owners, Alan and Rachel, along with their staff do everything possible to make you feel like you are staying with family. The view of the mountains from my room was breathtaking, the room was large and decorated in a rustic, elegant style. The bathroom was not only spacious, but spa-like. I look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2010

My company ran some courses in Montgenevre during March 2010, we used Hotel Le Chalet Blanc as a base. I can only sing the hotels and the staffs praises. Not only did they go above and beyond to accommodate our means but they made us feel like the hotel was our home away from home. We got very comfortable retiring in front of the fire every evening with a nice drink and delicious hors d'oeuvres. If you are looking for a ski holiday that leaves you wanting to more I truly recommend the Hotel Le Chalet Blanc and Montgenevre as a resort.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgenevre
0.1 km away
28.2 km away
L'Alta Peyra Hotel et Spa
L'Alta Peyra Hotel et Spa
#1 of 3 in Saint-Veran

Been to Hotel Le Chalet Blanc? Share your experiences!