“Relaxing merely relaxing....”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Sanford, Florida
“Relaxing merely relaxing....”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I met an amigo there from LA and we were nicely accommodated to match our initial vision. Our room had a quieter/cooler AC unit then some all-inclusive's I've spent more $ @. The friends and hospitality offered within the staff/owners etc was genuine and sincere. Felt right at home.
The savory cuisine offered between the Hotel and adjacent Island Pearl should surely meet every palate. Moreover, they were finishing construction of a domed adobe oven...for hand-made tasty pizza.
This gorgeous beach location is but a few steps across satin sand into a crystal bay -- Diving superb. We had our gear but it was all there if needed; great Dive Center too; instruction - has it all. There is also a gift shop run by a great gal with everything from swimsuits to original indigenous oil paintings. Lastly, the location is set along a beach with a variety of enjoyment, be-it private or just meeting some fun loving locals. Dare say, I had a difficult time pulling up long pants and stepping in shoes.... wave adios. This is one lovely patch of our magnificent planet I'll return to.

Room Tip: They all face the bay. Some 2nd floor -- some further back -- we were rm 22
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank jmoulds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Reviewed 4 October 2011

The bar was good, friendly and attentive staff. Dive staff went out of their way to be helpful, overall the best bit is the people working there. Let down, on the whole by average accommodation. Ritz it ain't, but bang for buck it certainly is.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank m0jito
central fla.
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Recently returned from a cruise day at Bananarama. We had previously stayed at Island Pearl and Bananarama so we decided to go for their $30 beach break package which included transportation from the cruise dock, loungers, and a free drink. This is a good deal as it cost as much just for a taxi from Mohogany Bay. So the lounger and drink where freebies. You are basically treated as one of the family once you arrive. As we had been to WB the last 4 years, the staff remembers you and truly appreciates seeing travellers come back. Our favorite server, Carolina, absolutely ran up to us and hugged us as we walked in! This is why we come back to Roatan. It really is a family thing.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank seeyakids
California
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We were able to travel back to Banarama this past June and found the Banarama just as charming as previous visits. Our family loved the nightly events and participated in all of them, great family fun. The food is still the best on the island, no need to go anywhere but the Thirsty Turtle. Managers, Richardo and Cori are doing a great job and always visible from first thing in the morning till closing. The staff becomes your family for the week and we never went without. The dive shop is hands down the best. After not being in the water for two years they made me feel relaxed and I had some great dives, actually doing better than any previous dives. I can't imagine going anywhere else on Roatan and look forward to returning, either as a couple or a family.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LoveTheTortuga
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I had an amazing experience at Bananarama. The rooms have a nice feel to them, all wood, clean and well kept. Air conditioning worked great, maids did a great job everyday and overall a very comfortable time in the hotel. The hotel service was also fantastic, refilling our water very quickly when we needed it, addressing any small issues we had. The location itself is also fantastic, as you walk out of the room to the bar/grill (Thirsty Turtle) you're greeted with a beautiful beach and clear water. The service at the Thirst Turtle was exceptional, as the food was prompt and service friendly. I would like to emphasize how nice the service was, as I never had an issue and felt very welcome. Except for the maids, everyone spoke English well and communication was never a hinderance.

I went for the diving experience and did the Open Water Course with the dive center. It was my first time diving and I loved it. I was nervous at the start but the instructors are all very friendly, knowledgable, patient and serious. When underwater I felt like I could trust my Divemaster, which is a relief for beginners. They do their best to provide the best experience each day. I also went on a bunch of recreational dives after the course and this really opened up the experience for me. If you feel comfortable, I would highly recommend the night dive and shark dive. The night dive allows you to see different creatures and structures, and the water has bioluminescent plankton that light up temporarily when you move through the water. It's something that has to be seen. The shark dive is also very cool, as you go within a close proximity of sharks while they swim around and feed on some fish heads. If you're lucky you can touch one when swimming with them (I didn't get to) and possibly find some shark teeth.

I have few complaints, perhaps I could point out a slow wireless internet service but that is just nit picking.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anup T
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We had an amazing time relaxing, swimming, diving, snorkeling, long walks on the beach, and enjoying the hospitality of the entire staff at Bananarama. Can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Eb3pebbles
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed at the Bananarama as part of our honeymoon. We were looking for a good value Caribbean holiday with snorkelling right on the beach and we definitely got it! It was amazing we loved it.
We stayed in the Island Pearl part of the resort - in the studio room next to the restaurant. The room was small consisting of a double bed, toilet, sink and shower area but just perfect, like having a little beach hut, because when you opened the door and stepped off the porch (which had a hammock) you were right on the beach. You got a water cooler, coffee maker, a fridge and a wardrobe in the room too, and there was air conditioning. Also being part of the island pearl, you get your own private beach area with beach chairs which were pretty much always free. Being next to the restaurant we were worried about noise but there was none, except one night when there was a wedding reception on in there and we could hear the singer they had on.
When we arrived there were orchids around the room, and each day a little elephant towel appeared on the bed. The staff kept everything clean. Make sure you clean your feet before going into the room, because the sand can get everywhere.
The cocktails at the bar were fantastic ! The bar staff were extremely generous with the servings and so laid back pouring the ingredients into the blenders so much better than the strictly sized servings you get in England. The evenings were pretty chilled with a pretty good band on each night, except the Sunday when there were some amazing fire dancers no the beach (I mean really good) to watch and quite a few people got up to dance.
The beach is amazing - I mean its like a swimming pool and very clear. The best place for snorkelling is right at the end of the beach (turn left out of bananarama). There are fish literally as soon as you walk into the water and rocks with coral on. This was perfect for me, as I am not a strong swimmer and here I was able to snorkel and then quickly come back to the "safe" shore. The water gets very gradually shallower and there are no rocks at all across most of the beach (except right at the end) so you can walk around in bare feet no problem. Right outside Bananarama there is a float that you can go and sit on, and they have lights on the night so you can do some night snorkelling.
There are a few restaurants along the beach and its all very chilled and laid back. It gets a little busy when the cruise shippers are in but we liked it. There are plenty of things to do in Roatan (I would recommend a sea-plane to pigeon key if you love snorkelling) so you can go elsewhere if you want to avoid the "crowd".
Heard a few people mention sand flies - we didn't get one bite the week we were there (was January 2011).
Only downside for us was the breakfast which we really didn't like. But hey, look what we got for our money - amazing value. We never once felt like we were being ripped off or taken advantage of - food and drink costs were just right for us.
All in all, it was a perfect honeymoon - only wish we could return. There are no flights there from England unfortunately. We went to New York first and then flew to Roatan, then back to New York. If we could, we would definitely go again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Go for the Island Pearl Studio if you want a small quiet room on a private area of the beach
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
0.5 km away
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#7 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!