“What a great family vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
California
“What a great family vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

My husband and I traveled to the Bananarama two years ago and had a most magical time. It had been our goal to take our children (teenagers) and this past April we were able to do it. What a wonderful time we all had. The property was just as we remembered with some improvements (if you could improve on perfection). The new bar and restaurant, The Thirsty Turtle was complete. The food was great. We have a hard time satisfying five different tastes here in the US but we were all happy with the selection and taste. They have a smoker on prem and the meat out of that is delicious (ribs are yummy). And I know I'll never find a whole fish that was as delicious as the one they serve there, a local snapper. Just as before the home made tortillas are wonderful and we ordered them every meal. The staff is so gracious. They made us feel so welcome and comfortable. They go out of their way to accommodate and made the children feel so special. We connected daily with so many of them, Carolina, Tim, Emil, Puma, etc.....too many to list.

The kids are not certified divers and even though we have encouraged them to do so they showed no interest until this trip. The dive staff is wonderful. Cori, one of the instructors at Bananarama took them through the short course and out on their first dive. She was so good with them and now they are hooked. We were actually able to dive with them (Cori led the dive) on a non certified dive and could not believe how comfortable she had them. Kudos to Cori! The kids now want to go back and have Cori certify them.

West Bay Beach is probably one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and we had is right at our feet with our stay at Bananarama. I couldn't have asked for anything more on this trip.

Oh, I forgot to mention the accommodations. At this beautiful place we spent little time in our room but we did have a room to sleep all five of us. The air conditioning is great for a good nights sleep. Room is kept clean and they are prompt with any requests. The kids loved the hammock on the porch and now we have our very own Roatan hammock in our back yard.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

We just returned from Bananarama last week, this was our second trip there. The place is just a blast. Great diving, snorkling, great food and service! The bar is the best on the beach! They had fire dancers,crab races and live music on sunday night, what a fun time.
The dive shop was great, as well as the staff running it. We ate dinner at the Vintage Pearl one of our nights, the food was very good, great atmosphere! If you have chance to make it to the awesome place of Roatan, you have to look at Bananarama. I met people staying at other resorts that would come every day to the Thirsty Turtle bar and grill, they would say " it's so much fun here" I just loved the whole place. Try the BLT/lobster sandwich from the Bar, excellent. Can't wait to go Back

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Peterborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

Myself and another teacher brought our 15 high school students there, after working a week in central Honduras. We came for the first of may weekend. The rooms were amazing, right on the beach, spacious, clean and very comfortable. Loved the ocean front villa and beach front villa! The beach front villa accomodated all 8 of the girls, no problem. We ate a delicious breakfast each morning on the beach, went snorkeling and swam in the ocean.Denise at reception was very accomodating, Omar our driver to and from the airport was the best,! We will definately be going back there next year!

• Stayed May 2009
tel aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

we really enjoyed the west end of Roatan, the beach is beautiful!!!
the bananarama has really beautiful rooms right on the beach and we loved it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Roatan, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2009

My wife and I went to Roatan for a week in February. It was our first trip to the island and we had no idea where to stay or what to expect. Through fortunate circumstance we ended up at the Bananarama. I have to say, I wasn't expecting much with a goofy name like Bananarama and the low rate quote made me kind of nervous but they did have accomodation with a king size bed which is important to us. I was also interested in doing some scuba diving so having a Dive Shop on the premises with reasonable rates was encouraging.

All of that said, this turned out to be the best resort experience I have ever enjoyed. I would note that if you are looking for hot night life this wouldn't be your first choice but for a wonderfully unpretentious resort this place is for you. The cabanas are great with very competent housekeeping. We were welcomed as if we were part of the family. (I was worried that they might come in the room and kiss us good night. LOL) This is a family operation that is careful not to interfere with your privacy yet always attentive.

There were some families with children at the resort and though we didn't have any of our little ones, I know they will enjoy the resort on subsequent visits.

The staff at the Dive Shop was excellent. My certification class included a 14 year old boy, a young professional and me (in my sixties). Our instructor (Marco) was able to tailor the class to the wide range of our individual ages and physical needs providing competent professional instruction that was fun and exciting. We all passed our certification requirements. Everyone was helpful and attentive to those of us who were just learning while still providing a quality experience for the experienced divers. If you want to dive or learn to dive, the rates are fair while the equipment and instruction are top notch.

If you just want to snorkel all you have to do is walk into the water and start swimming. The reef is only a short swim off shore or you can get a boat with a guide for longer trips to wrecks and other points of interest.

The accomodations include breakfast and they have a lunch special every day that is less than $10. Though my wife and I don't drink they do have a happy hour everyday and usually have live music at the bar on the beach which is just a short walk from your cabana. In addition to the bar and the food available there, they have a very classy restaurant for evening fine dining.

We were very happy with the price, the accomodations and the service. We went for a week and stayed for two because we just couldn't leave! Go have fun.

I can't say enough good things. This was about the best vacation ever.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

After my husband and I spent a week at Bananarama in January we decided to go back for 2 weeks as soon as we could. On our 2nd trip we also took our 26 yr old daughter and 24 yr old son. Because it was just a month later we agreed to book one week at anIsland Pearl villa for the 4 of us and one week in 2 separate cabins at Bananarama.

It was an incredible vacation. None of us wanted to leave and I am counting the days until our next vacation . . . . only this time it will be just my husband and I.

The Bananarama has the best staff ever. Everyone is so friendly and happy. The owners/operators are available for questions and to make sure you stay is the best it can possibly be. The office staff is also very helpful if you have any questions about anything regarding the island such as which canopy ride they recommend, helping with rental cars, getting you taxi's, etc. The maids were quick and friendly. The service at the Thirsty Turtle was even better than our first stay and the staff was friendly and fun to talk to.

If you get the chance make sure you are there on Sunday evenings. They have a live band that plays some original music as well as older popular songs. They also an amazing show featuring firedancers and the last time we were there they had crab races. It was a blast.

The Thirsty Turtle serves great food and has the friendliest staff around, not to mention the most incredible sunset views I've ever seen.

My husband dives and he was very impressed with both the dive staff and the dives he went on. The snorkeling is also amazing.

The kids shared a cabin with 2 queen beds and my husband and I had a smaller cabin with one queen bed. Both cabins had porches with 2 chairs and a hammock. It was a great place to sit and relax each morning and evening. The showers (water pressure)were better than many hotels I've stayed in stateside.

The four of us agreed that this the best vacation we've ever taken. Two years ago we took our 2 20 something children on an Eastern Caribbean cruise and I didn't think anything would top that for them but Bananarama and Roatan did.

• Stayed March 2009
OLYMPIA, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2009

my husband and i just returned from our vacation at the bananarama. the whole place is great. the customer service was excellent. the owners live on site and stopped by dailey to make sure everything was ok. the bartenders were fast and funny and the food at the bar is so good there was no need to eat anywhere else. the on site creamery has homemade ice cream to die for. the snorkling and diving were great and the resort has everything you need to do both. i have never come home from a vacation feeling this relaxed, yet we stayed busy all the time. this resort has it all. i can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
0.5 km away
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#9 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!