“WOW-One of the best vacations in 20+ years”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 2 May 2011

My hubby and I, along with another couple, visited the Henry Morgan in Roatan from April 2 - April 18, 2011. We range in age from 45-52 and come from the States and Canada. Our past travels include all inclusive resorts as well as boutique hotels in Hawaii, St. Croix, Antigua, Jamaica, St. Lucia, San Andres Island Colombia, La Romana, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata and many parts of Mexico to name a few.

I rate Roatan, as a whole, second only to San Andres Island. The reason for this is simply due to the sand flea issue. Admittedly, if I would have applied the Buggspray like I should have it probably would not have been a problem. However I was just so happy and excited to be there that I regularly forgot to apply it. The bites looked awful but did not itch that much. Maybe if they did itch more I would have been more conscious to apply the repellent.

Our flight was with Continental Airlines out of Baltimore, MD on Saturday morning 5:30AM connecting in Houston at 10:20AM and arriving in Roatan 11:59AM. There is a 2 hour time difference from the east coast of the U.S. No problems with the flight(s), baggage was off loaded within 10 minutes and off we were to find our ride to the resort.

Once we went through the doors to the lounge area we found a Henry Morgan Representative. They wear light baby blue polo shirts with a dark blue "HM" logo embroidered on them. She directed us to a waiting van where our bags were loaded along with another couples'. DH went to talk to her again only to find out our names were not on the transport list. No worries, just go ahead. We did not have to show her any paperwork. DH did tip the gentleman that carted our bags from the carousal to the van $1.00 PER BAG.

The ride to the resort was about 30 minutes and very nice. The first thing that struck us was not only the beauty of the Island but how clean it was compared to other places we have been. On top of that it did not seem to be as impoverished. The closer we got to West Bay the luxuriousness of the homes was even more obvious. Some of the views were simply breathtaking. The lushness of the flora and fauna is second to none that I have seen, even compared to St. Lucia. Absolutely beautiful.

Once we arrived at the resort the lobby looked exactly like the pictures I had seen. The vibrant colors and massive sofa's and chair's were so inviting. Check-in was a breeze. Jose, the reservations manager, took excellent care of us. We had reserved a one bedroom Villa for the same amount they were asking for a suite. Jose seemed rather excited when he realized we had Villa 2. Villa 2 had just been finished a couple days prior to our arrival and it seems we were the first guests to stay in any of them.

Upon check in you will be given a TV remote and a towel card for each person. You will also be asked to leave a credit card for incidentals. Remember to bring the remote and towel(s) or towel cards with you to check out. You will also be given back ALL copies of your credit card imprint.

We were escorted by the bellhop and Jose to our Villa. All I can say is WOW!! We had no idea we had rented such an awesome place. When they opened the door we saw a nicely furnished living room, dining room, kitchen area and powder room. The steps lead up to a huge master bedroom with a nice sized walk-in closet, a beautiful master bath with double sink, rain shower head and bidet. All the floors were of ceramic tiles. LED lighting, a walk out balcony off the master bedroom and two patios off the main floor. One of the patios had a built in bench and had a very nice patio set. The safe was an electronic style where you could set your own code. It was large enough for a Kindle but would not be large enough for a standard laptop. The king size bed was HEAVENLY! Very firm but with a nice pillow top to give a bit of softness. I have had 5 spinal surgeries and usually dread hotel beds. Not this one, as it was more comfortable then my bed at home.

There were an additional 2 bedrooms that come with their own baths and TV's. These villas are perfect for larger families or groups traveling together.

The only down side to the Villas is there are no telephones. There also was no clock anywhere to be seen. We were told to just call the front desk if we wanted to know what time it was. UMMMM, we asked how we could call the front desk since we had no phone? After a bunch of laughing at the front desk with Tasha she was able to get us a clock the next day.

If a clock is something you would like to have I would suggest bringing a battery operated one. There are NO clocks in any of the rooms. The resort runs off its own generator which gets turned off every morning from 3:00AM - 3:30AM in order to give it a rest. So unless you want to reset your clock everyday a battery backup one would be in order IF you feel the need for one.

Shampoo is provided in small single use packets. The first few days it was Pantene 2 in 1. Then it changed to a Spanish version of Pantene. DH used it daily and had no complaints. He is rather particular with his shampoo as his hair is thick and wavy. Small bars of soap were provided and plentiful. We brought our own face cloths as it is hit or miss if you will receive any. Other towels were never a problem. Hairdryers are provided in the standard rooms but NOT in the Villas.

Our villa was kept immaculately clean. Everyday at 10AM the ladies would arrive to begin their ritual. They did some of the prettiest towel art I have ever seen along with flowers all over the place. They placed flower petals on the towels, the sinks, bidet, toilet, shower, the steps and changed the vase of flowers on the table every other day. They would even fold my clothes if I had just left them sitting on top of my suitcase from the evening prior. We have never received service such as this. One day we forgot to leave a tip out for them. That evening we had the prettiest towel art ever.

The entire resort is kept spotless. I cannot remember a time when I would go to the ladies room by the beach when someone was not cleaning around that area. You never saw anything even slightly dirty, fingerprinted, or even a wet counter top in a restroom.

We had arrived two days prior to our friends. Juan, one of the beach boys, had gotten used to only seeing DH and I together. The afternoon our friends arrived we had already set up 4 chairs on the beach. Our friends went down and found my Scooby Doo towel and sat down. OMG!! Juan was about to toss them off the chairs as he thought they were sitting in our spot and using our things. Luckily we came along a few minutes after our friends and introduced them. After that we felt pretty safe leaving to go for a walk or lunch. We all knew Juan and the guards actually were watching. Our group did tip the beach guys daily as they all work so hard to make our stay fabulous.

The beach is well protected by at least 2 security guards at all times as well as a minimum of 2 beach guys. They are all busy all the time, picking up after lazy people who cannot walk to the trash can. Getting cushions for the chairs, raking the sand, talking to guests. hailing water taxi's and helping in any way they can. The guards do a great job in keeping the vendors off the property if they become a bother, which is rare.

The beach itself is beautiful with fine white sand and crystal clear water. I was surprised how hot the sand did get though. A lot of times I wore my sandals to the edge of the water as my little feet just could not handle the heat. The water itself was a bit cool until you became accustomed which took a day or two. Lounge chairs or shade was never a problem even when the resort was invaded by a large group of mainland kids on their high school graduation class trip. There was some music played by the beach bar. It was not loud or overbearing in anyway. IF you did find it to loud simply sit on the left side of the beach by the boche ball court. You could barley hear it there. They have two volley ball courts as well. One is on the main beach with the other one being an actual tournament sized court located beside the lobby. This one is really nice! Sand is super nice, clean and well maintained. You also have the darts and archery court. This is where George keeps his wonderful Parrots, Sade and Maya are two of their names.

Louis, the beach bartender, is a doll!! We introduced ourselves the first day, gave him our drink order and chatted with him for a few minutes. From that time forward he always greeted us by name and remember what we drank. He also makes the PERFECT "SPACEY"! A Spacey is Vodka, Amaretto and Pineapple Juice, blended. We did bring our own Amaretto, which we brought to the beach bar every morning in a plastic bottle. Their pineapple juice is the best we have had anywhere, fresh and with plenty of pulp. YUMMY!

The pool is very nice with lots of shade and teak wood lounge chairs. There was never a problem finding a place to sit by the pool any time of the day. If you are looking for a nice relaxing place for an afternoon nap there is a hammock pod located between the pool and the beach.

The snack bar for the first week was great. They always had fresh Pica Di Gaya, Chips, pork, beef, tacos, hot dogs, pizza and fresh made donuts later in the afternoon. The second week they switched cooks and they only had taco's, chips and Pica Di Gaya. They really could do a lot more with this area as it is quite large. Burgers and Fries would go a long way.

Food overall is EXCELLENT! The main restaurant is upstairs in the lobby, air conditioned, glass windows on 3 sides and nicely air conditioned. George, the head waiter, is the best. Always a smile, knows you by name, remembers where you like to sit for meals and full of energy. There is always a soup/salad bar, pasta bar, taco bar, beef, pork and seafood. There were a few dishes that were a miss, they were very cold or not cooked properly. However they were maybe 2 - 3 times in 15 nights. The remainder of the meals were superb. If you are a dessert lover and like to dine from 8PM on I do recommend you get your dessert when you get your main meal. The selection of desserts dwindle quickly. They are extremely good!! You are always guaranteed a wonderful fruit bar at all 3 meals as well.

If you are an early riser who likes coffee you have very few options as there are no coffee makers in the room and no coffee available until the restaurant opens at 7AM. However, you can get some instant coffee from the restaurant the evening before. There is one water dispenser in the lobby by the Sunwing Representive's desk that dispenses hot water. If you can tolerate instant coffee you will be good to go. You can also bring your own travel coffee maker if you simply must have a real cup of coffee before 7AM. Be warned that George makes a very very very strong coffee in the morning ;)

All of the staff we encountered, with the exception of one, was beyond exceptional. Tasha, Paul and Jose at the front desk were always happy, smiling and full of jokes. It was a pleasure to go and chat with them in the mornings and evenings. The restaurant staff were led masterfully by George. We received Spanish lessons from Adolpho daily and were greeted cheerfully by the entire staff every day. The entertainment staff worked so hard to keep the fun going all day long. The guys in the group played volley ball and bingo almost daily. The entertainment staff do daily walks at 10AM if you are interested but are concerned about getting lost etc. The dive staff are very efficient and friendly. We all went out on the dive boat for some snorkeling. The only hitch in the staff was the bar manager, Geraldo. He was the rudest, most unsociable, person we encountered. He never smiled, never greeted you, if you said hello he would ignore you, when you asked for a drink and said Please or Thank you in either English or Spanish he ignored you. One morning he was berating an employee in Spanish in front of me. I guess he thought I did not understand Spanish. If was very uncomfortable for me and the staff person. Yes, I did address this with the Manager at the resort. The bar staff itself were all amazing. Each of them remembered what we drank, addressed us by name and all had a great sense of humor.

The alcohol that is available is Imperial & Salvida Beer, Vodka & Rum. Wine is included with dinner. We brought our own Amaretto and Bailey's. In the evenings we would bring a bottle of Bailey's to the bar for them to keep cold. IF you wanted to purchase other drinks such as Bailey's, Kahlua etc, it was $6.00 per drink. You are given two 1/2 liter bottles of water at check in. Keep them!! You can refill them at the water coolers placed throughout the lobby and beach. You can also purchase 1 liter bottles of water for $2.00 at the bar or 1/2 liter for $1.00.

Snorkeling from the resort was very easy. There was little to see right in front of the resort but if you went to the right there are several docks. We saw plenty of life by them including a school of squid and a dreaded lion fish. Go to the left about 10 minutes and you have the point. BEAUTIFUL! If you want to make it out to the "rock" go in the morning when the tide is in. When the tide is out the water is to shallow to make it through the coral.

While on Roatan we were busy with the sites and making new friends. Our group went to the Roatan Marine Park Bash at Banarama where DH won dinner for 2 at the Blue Marlin and Ziplining for 2. We went to West End to explore and the Blue Marlin let us use the prize for lunch for four, which was very nice of them and had drinks at Sundowners. Our little group had dinner and drinks at the Blue Parrot in Sandy Bay twice with new friends, Lucy and Patrick the Sunwing Reps, and Genny from Roatan Vortex. We explored Jonesville, French Harbour, Coxen Hole, the Iguana Farm and had the buffet at Hole in the Wall. One beautiful afternoon we spent time in Sandy Bay on a private dock simply enjoying old and new friends, snorkeling and being drawn into the Roatan Vortex.

The night before checkout we were told they would run us to the airport at 10:30AM as we had paid for transfers. We arrived at the lobby at 10AM and were waiting. 10:40AM comes and goes. DH went to the desk to inquire where the bus was. He was told there was no bus at 10:30AM. We would have to either take the 11:30 bus or catch a taxi. I was a little miffed at this as Jose was the one who guaranteed us a 10:30AM departure. Since he was not there we did not know if he just said that knowing he would not be there or if there was a breakdown in communications. Either way it was just a very minor hiccup. We hired a taxi for $20.00 to the airport and had a very relaxing ride to the airport. The windows on the car were opened and you could just smell the fragrance of the beautiful flowers along with the warm breeze. A perfect ending to a beautiful two weeks.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Room Tip: Go for a villa, it is worth it~
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
21  Thank frodobagginskennedy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,507)

Reviewed 20 April 2011

Wow! What an amazing time! The weather was perfect. The beach,ocean and reef were PERFECT! The photos don't do it justice! The resort was very well kept. Rooms were large and clean(bring a clock or watch). The staff was always happy to help and the entertainment staff are outstanding...especially Roby, he is soo sweet and my new best friend. By the third day you feel like family with the staff and other guests. The food could have been better but you won't go hungry. (Its not north american food)
There were a lot of Canadians staying on the resort. Such a good group of people made the week even better. Shoutouts to Jim/Sherri, MJ(Cougar)/Janet, Luke, and JEFF from WHITBY!
Good shopping and food in West End. Ate at The Lighthouse and Thai place. Bite on the Beach in West Bay has great lobster.
There are sandfleas and a lot of us got some bites, others going A LOT and a very few got none. I found that tanning oil on me all the time worked. They get stuck and u can see them and flick them off. When I didn't have oil on, I got about 30 bites. DON'T SCRATCH you will make them worse!
The TGI Diveshop on the resort was great. Especially Richard and Lindey.
If you are not high maintenance then you will have a wonderful time.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank NicoleBurton
Reviewed 17 April 2011

The sunwing's representitives were awesome. Thank you Lucy and Pat. Also all the staff were so helpful and kind. If you did not have a fantastic time at this place it certainly is not the staffs fault.They did everything possible to make you feel welcome as well as at home. Just a short note to let the people know we are already planning are next trip there but we are bringing other people with us.The only complaint that I would posssibly have is that the food could be kept warmer but don't get me wrong it was good.By the way it was our honeymoon and I really hope Pat and Lucy to see you still there and once again thank you all staff for the best time of our lives.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank christillsonburg
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Enjoyed the whole experience, met some fantastic people. The weather was superb. Food was so ,so and after awhile it became all the same.The hotel rooms that we had were quite a distance away, but they were clean and rustic which was what we were looking for.

Room Tip: room closed to the lobby
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Just returned from a fabulous week at the Henry Morgan Hotel in West Bay. This hotel definitely exceeded our expectations after reading some negative reviews. The rooms were clean, large and bright with nice hammocks on the balcony. The maid service was excellent every day....no complaints here. The service from the hotel employees was excellent, including the restuarant staff that truly seemed to enjoy serving you. Considering we were a large group of 24 they certainly went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. TGI diving did an excellent job with our dive charters. They were eager to take us to new and interesting dive spots every day. Thanks so much to Liz, Baptiste and Oliver....we will return!
We loved the beach.....absolutely beautiful.
Not sure what anyone would have to complain about here at this hotel.
But...Beware.....sandflees were very bad....apparently between the hours of 4pm and 630pm. Although the hotel did spray regularily and some people didn't seem to get bitten at all?? I would return to the hotel without a doubt.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tj1846
Reviewed 5 April 2011

These are tips I would pass along to people planning on staying at HM.
-I expected rustic rooms and mediocre food. This was definitely true! The rooms are just ok. The beds are somewhat uncomfortable and the pillows are flat. You can also hear people walking on the boardwalk and hear your neighbors snoring, their tv's, etc. IF YOU ARE A LIGHT SLEEPER, book UPSTAIRS and bring earplugs.
-The power goes out periodically through the night. We brought our own alarm clock (the rooms don't have any). So if you need to get up early, make sure you call for a wakeup call or have a battery backup alarm clock.
-the food is very basic and often cold, but there are so many nice restaurants along the beach and in west end and they are very affordable!

All in all, I would still highly recommend this resort. The resort is small and people know you by name. The entertainment staff are AMAZING! They go and go and go all day long! The restaurant staff is also so friendly! Smiles all around! The beach is stunning and it was never difficult to get a chair! Would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Well, we arrived and thought...OMG ... Aside from the fantastic check in....Our Initial thoughts were "the rooms are so ....plain"...."the resort is so quiet?"..."where is everybody?".... well I can say:
- the rooms are very comfortable...all that you need!
- appreciate the beauty of hearing the parrots, the surf and the sizzle of the sun on your. skin..!
- know that your animation team will make it one of the most happy and rewarding vacations of your life (please tell Roberto, Luna, Henry, and Marie...that their TO friends still remember how much they made our vacation so memorable)!
-know that your diving and snorkeling with TGI divers (onsite) will be the best diving you will find in Honduras.......TAKE THE SHARK DIVE WITH TGI....memorable experience...no worries!
- The food is not what you would expect....as much as you are prepared....the food is less than expected.....however...the service from Adolpho and Noah...in conjunction with the entire service staff, the very wholesome, natural food....you will adjust...and perhaps start a healthier Mediterranean diet. Look forward to Giorgio who makes every - a beautiful,smiling place to get whatever style of coffee or tea you like...and every evening a beautiful evening filled with wine and beverages.
- 1 the bar is limited....fruit punch and mohitos on the beach with the parrots is wonderful!
- take an off site dinner to "bite on the beach"--to the right of the resort, end of the strand.
-best souvenirs at the end of the beach...to the right of the resort....end of the beach before "bite on the beach"
- the best snorkeling ever off the beach, within walking distance to the left of the resort....keep walking until you hit the wall....absolutely amazing!!!
-remember --it will take at least 2 days before you will realize you are in paradise....enjoy the animation crew as it really helps realize that you've been traveling too fast and you need a little help to slow down and enjoy......our daughter is on her way next month...and no doubt....we'll be there as soon as we can...!

Room Tip: very simple, low key, fun,
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
23.8 km away
Media Luna Resort & Spa
Media Luna Resort & Spa
#19 of 42 in Roatan

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!