Henry Morgan Beach Resort
US$263
US$171
Hotels.com
Foster's West Bay(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$358
US$353
Paradise Beach Hotel(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$611
Travelocity
West Bay Lodge and Spa(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$116
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,592 results
All reviewsentertainment stafflobby bartgi divingfishair transat repsand fleaswest endmedia lunanightly showsdance lessonsdive shopstar resorttowel arteach meala la carte restaurantdeep woodsfire show
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 April 2012

During our six week vacation in the Roatan/Utila Bay Islands, we had the opportunity to stay at the Henry Morgan Resort for three days before we went to Utila for the month of March and nine days afterwards before returning home. We had look at the reviews and went in fully prepared to upgrade our hotel based on our experiences the first three days. We decided to stay for the last nine days at the Henry Morgan as planned. The first three days were uneventful but problems did occur on the nine day stay. I will start out firstly by commenting on the room. I loved the Caribbean flavour to the room we had. Although it was a bit smaller being a room in the center blocks, that was to our advantage during that week as the hotel was full. We had no one walking beside us to get to their rooms and no one above us as these buildings were single level, in the middle, and very quiet! The room was always cleaned perfectly and housekeeping staff is be commended for a job well done. We did experience maintenance problems with the room. The cold water tap in the shower was broken (it took three reports and one full day to repair), our safe key broke in the safe (one full day to repair), the toilet continuously ran and was never repaired. The cable TV was broken and was not repaired for three days. That problem affected four buildings. I could only recommend that the front desk staff write down the problems when they are reported and that maintainence keeps the front desk appraised of a time when we might expect the repairs to be done. In the case of the safe, the only person who could open the safe was on a well deserved day off. We were fortunate that we were not leaving the next morning. Our Sunwing rep Lucie was kept in the loop at all times and did her best to assist including offering us another room which we declined after knowing we had a great location and repairs were being done. The food at the resort was excellent .. there was always a meat dish and a fish dish at every dinner. Pasta was offered at each meal. Some of the food was labelled so that was an improvement from previous reports. George and his staff (in particular Andrea, Ismael, and Freddy) in the dining room were fantastic. We were treated extremely well when others of authority were not in the room. The staff intermingled and talked with all guests but only bused when someone of authority was there. We much preferred the intermingling and getting to know the staff. They made us feel welcome and wanted there! The entertainment staff did a great job on the beach and on the stage. They always had some type of activity going on at the beach at noon hour and four o'clock and if an event didn't occur, it wasn't from a lack of trying, it was from guest participation. Just watch out for the "tickler" on the beach *grin*. We didn't stay for the evening entertainment as the days in the sun had us pretty tired by then. The beach is nothing less than amazing! There were always beach chairs and the going down to reserve chairs at 6:00 a.m. was not at all necessary. There was a full time beach maintenance person who frequently raked the beach to prevent the sandflies from laying eggs in the sand. Although not perfect, it definitely helped. We could not snorkle right at the resort due to the dive boats coming in and out of that area but a ten minute walk down the beach was worth it. We had no problems at the bar ... beer was serviced in larger plastic cups and mixed drinks in smaller ones. The only problem we had was they continuously ran out of diet coke but I could buy a bottle down the beach and just give it to them to make my drinks. They filled our travel mugs for us with no problems encountered. The pool area was always clean and well maintained. Overall, we had a good stay at this hotel. As seasoned travellers, we have stayed at much worse and at much better. For anyone looking for 5 star Florida, go the Florida. I think this resort was great value and yes, knowing the Henry Morgan hotel management team is reading this and taking all problems report seriously, I would go back. One other thing to mention is that the island as a whole has frequent power outages. This is still a small island so expect the power to go out frequently. Travel with a flashlight for the nighttime outages while in your room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in A, B, or C Blocks. Although they are smaller, the quiet is well worth it. All other rooms are in a circle around these and in order to get to your room on the far side of the circle you have to walk past everyone's else room on a boardwalk to get there. The outside rooms are also two stories so if you want the larger room, ask for a room on the second floor and not the first.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank mablair88
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I would say it was a good 3 star resort. We stayed from May 26th - April 2nd. I was very concerned about staying at Henry Morgan based on the recent reviews. I would like to comment on some things I was concerned about because of the bad comments that I had read. For example, Patrick and Lucy from Sunwing were wonderful. They were certainly there to help with whatever was needed, I think some people forget that they too have to work with the resort to make things happen and do not have total control over everything, certainly not for lack of trying as I found them very attentive, and helpful. Regarding the food, no, there was not a lot of selection, but you could always find something and to be fair, not all things were labelled because they simply didn't know the language. (Henry Morgan, you should definitely have more english speaking staff). Our room was clean, although bathroom could have used an update (peeling paint and mould in the shower). Definitely the wait staff were friendly and work very hard. My biggest complaint would be the animation crew. As an entrepreneur myself, I could hardly stand to see how these people were being utilized daily to open doors for you as you entered/exited the restaurant. Really? Put these people to work mingling and interacting with the guests. I thought it was very pathetic how they did not get to know the guests, or have more entertainment, games, etc during the day. All I ever saw them doing was opening doors in the restaurant, except for one time when 2 came around the beach pouring drinks. Also, saw one of the females conducting a very "poor" water aerobics class. This crew should absolutely speak english well, should be "animated", should mingle with the guests - this is business 101 - and completely SHOCKING to see. Henry Morgan - seriously, this is an easy fix - make these people WORK. At the very least when the buffet was busy and they were standing at the door, they could have pitched in and helped to clear dishes at the tables as your waitstaff work very hard. I thought the island was beautiful, and henry morgan was better than expected, but they could implement some minor things that could make a huge impact. (the plastic cups?, animation crew improvement, some maintenance on the rooms, etc)...Also, if you weren't Italian, you felt like you were a 2nd class citizen...You shouldn't be so obvious Henry Morgan...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank bella44toronto
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I travelled with my mom and daughter - we had an amazing time! We loved the rustic feel of the island and resort and the quiet pace without the crowds. The beach is gorgeous, the staff friendly and helpful, the resort clean, and the warm pool was our last stop of the day before showers and dinner. Loved swimming with the angel fish on our beach, seeing parrots fly by, and discovering a beautiful star fish. The snorkling was bar none! We felt safe even off the resort - our taxi driver Charlie was the best. Speaking of taxis, the hotel takes most of the money leaving the driver with less than 1/3 of the actual money paid. Best to take a taxi just outside the gates. Our favorite wait-staff were Eector, Adolpho and the wonderful Georges. To be fair, all the wait staff work tirelessly for about 11$ per day - so tip away! We chose HM because of it's reputation for helping the local orphanage. We were thrilled to visit and deliver groceries, and also to spend the day at the HM pool with the kids and staff of the orphange. Check out the Roatan Island website before packing your bags to see which schools and orphanages need what.

Room Tip: we liked the second floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank sue1155016
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I just came back from there Saturday :( didn't want to leave. The staff was wonderful, Shayla (dining hostess/dancer), Ismael (bus boy), Steven (DJ), Lina (dancer) Tairo (entertainer/dancer), Nelson (beach's bartender), Anthony (reception), Suyapa R. (buffet) AOL off them soooo helpful, such sweethearts!! Love You all!! The place odd just amazing!!
Maria /march 23, 2012

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank MariaE0502
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Visited March 5th to 12th through Sunwing.

Flight down and back was great, no big delays, comfortable, friendly staff, food was fine.

A few things on arrival changed since our visit last March, the HM entertainment staff wasn't there to greet us, but we did have Patrick & Lucy who were great, as well as another staff member to take luggage and guide us to the bus. We had a staff member give a "speech" the entire trip to hotel, comical albeit a bit "loud", lol. We were at the hotel by 12:30.

Check in was quick, and our room was ready when we arrived & luggage arrived quickly on separate truck. They kindly gave me the rm I had requested( 3rd time/ same room ).

I had of course been reading with alarm the very numerous bad reviews as of late, wondering how downhill the hotel had gone, I was expecting to become ill, see a dirty pool, smell sewer, starve because food was so horrendous, beg for drinks....etc. etc. HAPPILY. The pool was clean and as pretty as ever. Our room was unchanged, airy, bright, spotlessly clean with its "Caribbean/ rustic chic" charm, I love the rooms in the original buildings! I smelled no sewer smell. The grounds were pretty/ lush/ green/ clean. The food was the same as our last two visits, and there was enough of it, fortunately they did not run out. Was it gourmet/ 5 star/ haute quisine? No. Was it delectable & mouth watering? Maybe not. But....it was good. And some of it was indeed tasty! You could always find something, we never went hungry..... As for drinks, they were the same as the last two trips as well. Nelson & Engels make the best! lol. Sure, they have reverted to tiny cups which I told( in a survey) was a HUGE waste, people will drink the same amount in the end...just use the BIG cups. ( don't be stingy HM Resorts!!! )The wine at the evening meal was actually not bad, better than the last times in fact. So, fortunately for us......food and drink wise our experience was the same as prior visits.

The beach was as sweet as ever, dive shop great, snorkeling wonderful, weather perfect our last 5 days.

Now for the staff.....the reason we return. Some are our friends, I am happy to say this. The hotel management should be aware how great their staff is. Tyron, Byron, Shyla, Santos, Jorge, Andrea, Adolfo, Ismael, Nelson, Engels......I'm sorry if I've missed someone ( front desk staff helpful ). They bend over backwards, are so friendly & work so hard. Truly, the reason we return to this hotel.

Are there a few quirks to work out? Yes.....some soap in the bathrooms at the beach is a must. Get rid of the environmentally unfriendly shot size plastic cups/ use the big ones please HM!!! Tsk..Tsk... Get some arrows for the archery, buy some netting for the wooden soccer nets( or I'll take some down next yr? ). And lastly, while we were there they had two "bosses" from Italy for entertainment. One was the MC so to speak, the other ( a girl ) a choreographer/ dancer. They spoke only in Italian. Byron/ Tryon would do their part and speak in Spanish & French ( super jub btw ). But the other, just in Italian for the nightly shows, on the beach, etc. It should be done in English as well.

So, all in all it was another success. We would return. We had a great time. We love, love the staff. We made friends with repeat guests from Last March. We "get" Henry Morgan & find it a great place to go with our young teens. People need to research before they go, know what to expect, read the reviews, look at photos, etc I can't say it enough. RESEARCH. It's key.....

Lastly, Patrick & Lucy were present, friendly, and helpful. As was Sonja. My other two reviews have much more detail with regards to hotel, rooms, etc.

Looking to book for Christmas!

Room Tip: Get a top floor, I don't like the villas as much as the charming/ quaint original rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family