“We Won with the Roatan Roulette”

Henry Morgan Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 7 April 2010

We did the Roatan Roulette, and we won with the Henry Morgan Resort. It is a great Resort .
It was apparently the busiest week of the year, on Roatan. The Santa Semena holiday down there, and we were in the perfect place, as most the crowds gathered at each end of the beach, where as our beach was just a walk way to each end. They told us it would be busy and it sure was…. So many people on the beach!! There were security guys making sure that no one would sit at our beach, but that was about all they were useful for. When we told them about a group of boys, picking up things of the chairs, they just shrugged if off. It was my husband that had to go tell them to put the stuff back.
The hotel itself was great. The rooms were Rustic as everyone has commented about , but Rustic for me was just great!! We loved the room. Any problems were fixed right away.
Most people have commented on the food. We were told that the Mayan had much better food, but we found that our resort was far better. The service at the other hotel was very poor. There is enough there that even the fussiest person can get by. The lunch time meals at the beach were a bit frustrating, as there were never more then 2 hamburgers out at the same t time, so there was always a wait for that. We did try the buffet a couple of times and it wasn’t too bad for lunch.
Most people speak English, except for a few of the entertainment team, and a lot of the shops not far from the hotel, are owned by Americans.
The only draw back to this hotel was that it was so far to get to the beach from the room. It was a good 5 minute walk, where you had to walk to the lobby and walk through to the other side, where the pool was and then past the pool to get to the beach. Made you hope you didn’t forget anything you were taking to the beach. Other then, that I have no complaints. It was a great holiday!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Beachglassgirl1
There are newer reviews for Henry Morgan Resort

Reviewed 3 April 2010

My partner and I were looking forward to our side trip to Roatan from touring mainland Honduras, for him to try the acclaimed diving and for us to have a respite from our tour. We bit the bullet and paid the exorbitant all-in price per person, for 2 nights at the Henry Morgan (originally 3 nights, but one night canceled, as due to rain the ferry could not leave La Ceiba - as it turns out, a blessing in disguise!). When we arrived at the Henry Morgan,the reception staff were not friendly, no smile, no eye contact. Somebody did come and bring us a juice. They signed us in and pointed in the direction we should go to find our cabin. We were given a TV remote control and told we could call reception from the room in case we needed anything. We were not given any information about where meals were served, where the beach was, when meals times were - nothing. A plastic bracelet was put on our wrist to be worn at all times for the restaurant to know that you are guest for the meals. When we arrived at the room, we were shocked. There was a wet towel on the bed. We are all for the island feel, but this room was grubby. The TV was already on in the room and the remote did not work. We could not turn the TV off. The old white dresser looked like it had been kicked with black shoe scoff marks. The walls were dirty. There was no view except to a small balcony with a sorry hammock. The towels looked like they had had a million and one washes; they looked gray and worn out. The shower was full of mold marks. Shocking. There was no phone in the room. So we walked back to reception and asked to speak with a manager who then took us herself to see another room - equally as bad, if not worse. In this room, she herself noted a card with the phone number to call reception, but there was no phone in the room. The small shower stall was more moldy than the first. It was clear that she understood that this was unacceptable. Our point was: we paid and want what we paid for. In order to remedy the situation, we were "upgraded" to another partner hotel/condo Las Sirenas (an HM condo), nearby on the same WestBay beach strip. While we waited to be transported there, we had lunch in the closed school style cafeteria at Henry Morgan. Once at Las Sirenas, we noted that the food was exactly the same. These are self service buffets that have mostly Italian and island food. The leftovers are recycled into salads. We were there 2 nights and on the second night I had extreme food poisoning, with fever and chills. Although you are paying 'all in' there is a nice man on the beach that brings the mats for the beach chairs, and clearly expects a tip each time. We don't mind tipping, but you are there to relax and pay prime prices to do so. Overall, to us the HM charges 5 star prices for 2 star quality. Las Sirenas was better: cleaner, more modern and higher standard room, friendly staff. But there were still issues with the food. Bad wine. Plastic cups for everything, plastic bracelets. With the prices we paid, they should not even have to cut corners, but rather want to give good quality and service. Our romantic getaway, turned into a real nightmare. We may go back to Roatan someday, but not soon and definitely not to the Henry Morgan hotels/resorts. In a way, we felt robbed, were stressed by the whole situation, and got sick to top it off. We were happy to get back home and look forward to our holidays in Thailand!

1  Thank Sevenstars4us
Reviewed 2 April 2010

The thousands of dollars spent fror the "All Enclusive" experience was a total joke. This place gets your money up front and then NOTHING. You book with other people months in advance, and when you arrive, you are told we are full and you can't be together, not the way to start off your trip if you know what I mean. Then, the priority to make it right never happen. When I expressed (demanded) that my family be moved closer to our friends the day after our arrival, we were moved.

Rooms are terrible here, old, rusted tubs, drains plugged up and one night, no water for the entire property. No customer service to speak of, and when it was expressed that this was unexceptable, the women behind the counter stated, "we got your money already".

You get two small bottles of water for the entire week when you get to your room, yes, I said two! You eat when they tell you, drink what and when they tell you, and I agree with others that the staff seems to be who gets the "royal" treatment not the guest.

Did I mention NO TOWELS? EVERYDAY, we had to call to get towels to shower. Not sure why, but it was a daily event. Beach towels, not always available.

Entertainment was not good and for the most part inapropriate, the best to report, Mr. Texas!

If the website had you believing that this was the beach front all enclusive paradise waiting for you.........YOU would have been as disapointed as we were. I have told others about our experience, it sounds like there are really good All Enclusive places that deliver on just that and make customer satisfaction a priority!! That will be who I go with next time.

Oh and before i forget, if you want to REST forget it, this place is so old and worn down, you hear EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING going on at all hours of the day and night.

I wanted to state the facts so people can make an informed decision before spending your hard earned money on a place like this.

I will give one excellent compliment.......Our waiter George was outstanding!!

So for more bang for your buck, try somewhere else. This is a beautiful place to snorkle and spendtime on the beach, and YOU deserve to be pampered doing it. Trust me, this is NOT what you will get here!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank pjmangel63
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Is the buffet experience is repetitious after two days?
Think of eating at your favorite buffet restaurant 6 meals in a row? Repetition is a no brainer, breakfast is standard fair buffet plus you may place an order for your favorite omelets or eggs the way you want it. For lunch and supper, the wonderful chef at the resort always serves meats and fish in an International eloquence fit for distinguishing tastes at each sitting. Some beef were marinated in a wine pepper mixture before grilled and garnished. Other pork was broiled in a pot with cabbage. Fish and calamari were often served, sometimes fried sometimes baked always delectable and never over cooked. One evening they served my all time favorite Cerviche. I give high marks for the dining experience. Another note, the deserts needs working on. The fresh fruits were wonderful, but dry cake all week was a real disappointment.

Neighboring resorts options: This resort also partnered with other nearby ones and with 24 hour notice guests with all-inclusive deals can enjoy all-inclusive dinning at those other resorts. This is one cost effective way to change your mealtime scenery albeit having to head out to another resort. Some of the other guests commented that the food was very similar if not as good in the HM_Resort.

Is the food at Beach Bar out for hours?
Unsure, salads and fruits are on cold stands in the shade. Hotdogs/ Hamburger and fries were in a buffet heated tray, I asked the server to heat my burger the one time I felt it cold. The other two times the burger was hot. I found my fries cold only once, just ask and they will serve a new batch. They love to hear foreigners try to speak Spanish, it goes a long way. Fruits and salads were always cold on my plate.

Was guest services unhelpful?
We specifically requested a king sized bed, our room had two doubles. Guest services gave us the key to another room. Nice room, drawbacks were, it only had a shower and it was in a heavy people traffic area. Later they gave us the key to another room with a king size bed for us to take a look, We ended up stating in our original room. The point is I give full marks to guest services as they didn’t leave us in a dead end response.

Is there handicap access?
None, even those with walking difficulties will find the bayou styled configuration a challenge.

Was HM_Resort more helpful to Italian Guests?
Weren’t many during our stay although I could imagine why some may perceive unequal treatment. Canadians/ Americans are culturally reserved and Italians are culturally “touchy feely” types. In the service industry, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Pool had broken tiles?
I did a lot of swimming, took pictures, the pool has no broken tiles, it’s in fine condition.

Resort is not a 4 Star Resort?
The bathrooms are dated, they can use new shower doors and new bath plumbing, they are functional, but for many, this subtracts several stars for the resort.

Security on the resort beachfront is questionable?
Our final resort entertainment event, Evening Beach Party and Crab Racing was rudely and maliciously interrupted resulting in the event cancellation. Some apparently intoxicated local decided to stir up a fight with a resort entertainment worker. Exchanging vicious threats lead to several very close physical confrontations namely threats with a spade shovel. Known or not, the local had two cohorts by his side and unfortunately in the scuffle a bystander got badly injured. All this time the security men just stood by and watched. A police officer arrived 10 minutes later allowing the perpetrators ample time to get away in their yacht. Bottom line, the resort security are not trained or equipped take down these types of threats, thus, tourist safety is questionable. Should the resort adopt a Homeland Security type policy within? It appeared to be a random act, then again, so was the shoe bomber…

Other Comments:

This resort is a rare gem. It's not the Hilton full of 4/5 Star snobbery, it a resort full of island warmth, service with a smile. From Guest Services to the Dinning Room Staff, they all really enjoy their jobs, always very warm and helpful. Unlike the cruise lines, these guys are not tip based salary and they are so proud of the country us tourists are visiting. I can’t remember when I last felt this invited. That is why I love this resort, you approach them with respect and kindness and they return it several folds back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank stan_lee_514
Reviewed 9 March 2010

I stayed here from March 1 - 8th/2010 with my husband and 13 year old son. We had a great time. The staff here are wonderful and friendly, always smiling. The food was not great the first two days but then they got a new chef and the calibre of the food was much better. The beach is beautiful and there is a good mix of activities (if you wish to participate in vollyball, bingo etc) and leisure. The snorkling right at the end of the beach was the best I have ever experienced. My husband, son and I did 6 dives while we were there and the dive staff were amazing. They were so friendly, accomodating and focused on providing individualized service, we were very impressed. My son completed his 4 certification dives while we were there and Chiara, his instructor was amazing, he had one-on-one instruction and her full attention the whole time. The hotel itself is quite nice, the lobby is so bright and cheery and very relaxing, I enjoyed my cappuccino on one of the many futon type colourful chouches every morning at 8am!! Our room was quaint, I'd classify it as rustic, but nice. The rooms are quite a walk from the lobby, pool and beach but not too far. We didn't watch any of the shows, but if you are into that, it is available. I'd go back here again just for the service of the staff and the beautiful setting.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Ramblers5
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We spent a week at The Henry Morgan in Roatan, Honduras. We got what we thought was a decent deal for the advertised 4 star hotel....boy were we sadly mistaken!

Just to keep it to the point: Rooms were an o.k size, no alarm clock, light fixtures missing, other fixtures badly rusted, not to mention the tiny safe and huge gap under our door, for which the local salamanders seemed to take it as an invitation.

Food was just o.k, very repetitive, with only 1 restaurant, you really didn't have any choice. Although snacks were supposedly available, I guess they were if you enjoy sandwiches that been out in the scorching heat for 4 hours!

Bar service, beach service, and maid services were all good, no complaints there.

Would we go to Honduras again? In a heartbeat. But definatley not The Henry Morgan!

This hotel should rate a 2.5-3 stars at best.

2  Thank lovthesunTweed
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I am quite disappointed in the negative reviews i have been reading on the Henry Morgan. My husband, i, and another couple travelled here and loved it. Yes it was a little rustic (older) but very well kept and very clean. We were also caught up in the Sunwing Infinity Bay switch, but were overall pleased. After a tour through the Infinity Bay, even though it was georgeous, we saw how unfinished it was.
If you want to go here, do your research people.
Staff were not first in line for food or drinks. The only staff eating there were the ones employed by the dive centre, there were maybe 8 of them.... It is included in their pay. So they were definatly not eating all the food.
The food was good, but did get repeditive. There is so an omlette station, right in the middle of the buffet. My only disappointment was there was no a la carte restaurant. It is all buffet. So we went ot the many restaurants available in the area. Sushi, lobster, burgers, etc. all available, but you do have to pay for it.
The rooms were older. The bathroom needed reno, but was not that bad. The beds were quite comfortable. We also had a room looking over the condos being built, there was no noise, they were never there working. In fact my husband is a contractor and laughed, no wonder it takes them so long to get things done. LOL
I dove here for the first time, it was awesome. The staff at the TGI centre were great, very calm and thorough.
I have never been served faster at the bar. George was great, and never made us wait. It's not like many of the other resorts we have been to were they take their time getting to you. It is true, they only serve wine a dinner time. If you ask in the restaurant upstairs, they will fill up a big glass for you to take downstairs after dinner. We went to the store in West End and bought a couple of bottles. They kept them at the bar for us with our name on them to serve to us when we wanted. We had no problem getting Tequilla!!
We walked on the beautiul beach evening and day, our resort had the most action going on of them all, keep this in mind, but not too much either. It was like staying in a big, beautiful cottage. We loved it. I could tell you much more, but it would take forever. Feel free to email me any questions. i can't wait to go back one day.

7  Thank luvcuba4
0.3 km away
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Henry Morgan Resort? Share your experiences!