2 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$200
eDreamsUS$200
Orbitz.comUS$200
TravelocityUS$200
1,861 results
All reviews entertainment staff tgi diving fish lobby bar sand fleas west end fried chicken dive shop water stations swimming area doughnuts deep woods wine bar nightly entertainment pina colada zip lining water taxi
Selected filters
Reviewed March 7, 2020

The beach here is amazing! Great sunsets! Nice to be able to have sun or shade while laying in loungers on the beach. Security keeps sellers away if you lounge near the resort. Go left and in 5 min walk get in the water and snorkel away. Saw tons of fish and 1 sea turtle. If you turn right and walk down the beach for about 10-15 mins you get to Gumbalimba park. Great park to visit for zip lining and nature walk with the parrots and the monkeys. We had a guide just for the 2 of us. Resort was a good size, restaurant was just ok, no other food options. upgrade your room! We had a double bed in a tiny room and for $7 more per night we went to a king with a huge bathroom a large balcony with 2 hammocks and a small table in the room, so worth it. Also AC was better in the upgraded room. A cat also seemed to think she came with the room, came in if you gave her the chance, super sweet and friendly, she hung out on the hammock with me. Staff was all very nice, security on beach was great to chat with and ask where to visit. I don't dive but apparently everyone else does! All day long boats came in and out taking tours out to go diving. We rented a car which I suggest, just be slow as dogs and people just run into the street to cross so don't be in a hurry and your fine. We went from one end of the island to the other. You need to go to the Beach Club. Eat at Lion Fish Louie's to try some delicious Lionfish (it is great and I don't like fish). Lots of chairs to lounge in and the water is amazing. It was very quiet when we went and we jumped on the pier with some local kids. There is a little island there to swim around, lots of fish there to snorkel with. You can also do a horseback ride which takes the horses around the island. Not a long ride and very reasonable. You should also check out the Monkey and Sloth hangout. Very reasonable to get in ($10 if I remember correctly). We had our own guide, it is a small place so doesn't take too long to see the parrots and monkeys and sloths. If you want you go in with the monkeys for some pics of them climbing on you. Same for the parrots. The sloths are very cool animals. They let you hold one and tell you all about them. Then they put them back in the trees where they live, no cages for them. Unique experience for sure. Roatan is known for being bad for sand fleas and mosquitos. I m allergic to sand flea bites and have hives everywhere when bit so I used a high zinc (mineral based sunscreen) and take Blexten everyday I travel and I had no issues, no bites. My husband who usually has no issues did get bit up a bit. I found no mosquito issues but some small no see um's. Just bring bug spray for night. They did spray a very harsh chemical for the sand fleas every night at dusk which made you run for cover if you were still out, usually did it when most people were getting ready for dinner. This resort is dated, food just ok but the pools were beautiful and cleaned everyday (I didn't go in as I am a beach bum), the beach is amazing although I hear can be crazy on Cruise ship days (when we went there were no busy days), people are friendly, it is a cheaper place to stay all inclusive in Roatan, if you aren't a food snob you'll like it fine. Good value for the money.

Room tip: Upgrade! Do not take the Villa with a double bed, tiny rooms and hot.
Date of stay: November 2019
2  Thank Stacey A
Reviewed February 27, 2020 via mobile

Really average. Bad food. Nice staff. Crowded beach when the cruise ships were in. We paid for a room upgrade, and the first morning we were startled awake by someone with a gas powered bug fogger 10’ from our door at 5:45 am. Power went out every evening at 11 pm. Extra fee for WiFi was not worth it. Room upgrade also meant we were next to the loud thumping music every night.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Alison P
Reviewed February 25, 2020

Henry Morgan Resort

We were a group of approx 30 people traveling together for a wedding vacation.

Henry Morgan Resort

We were a group of approx 30 people traveling together for a wedding vacation.

GENERAL:
Reception is open 24 hours.
Check out is 11am.
The towel hut is open from 8am to 5pm.

ROOM:
Stayed in room B34 - PGV2 (Pool Garden View). Feb 17 to 24, 2020.

The blocks of rooms A and B are newer and near a new "family pool" (very shallow). The pool and gardens are lovely and it's very quiet over there (no music playing, and hardly any people either, since it's so far from the restaurant, bar, and beach).
FYI: If your room is in blocks A or B, it is a good 5-6 minute walk to the restaurant.

I would personally recommend asking to be in rooms that are in the blocks D or F. They are sorta close to the restaurant but far away enough that you don't hear the music at night (which doesn't stop until 11pm, and is very loud if you are in the beachfront rooms - block L).

Our room had ample lighting in the bathroom / closet area, but the bedroom only had one small sconce light overtop of the headboard and that is it. It is very difficult to see! Had to open the curtains on the window and/or open the door to let light in, to see!

The roof overhang between our room B34 and the next, B32, drips/leaks water when it rains and it drips right onto the staircase which runs between the two units - making them slippery and wet. Not a good design. The overhang should be improved.

Our room had a king bed that was wonderfully new and comfortable. We loved it. We had two small night stands on either side of the bed which each had 2 drawers. There is only one luggage stand/rack in the room so one of us had to set up on the floor. There was NO dresser in the room :(

In the bathroom there was a "closet" unit - 1 bar with several hangers, a safe, and 3 cubby holes. That is all we got while other friends of ours in other rooms got a dresser. Also, other friends of ours had a large full length mirror in their room, we did not have one of those. The ONLY mirror in our entire unit was the vanity one in the bathroom over the sink.

Our bathroom was quite large and well laid out. Porcelain vanity sink with mirror, modern vanity lighting, walk-in shower with window. One disappointment was the bathroom didn't have a laundry line to dry out wet clothes or bathing suits. It can be quite windy there and I didn't want to risk hanging things from a 2nd floor balcony for fear of them blowing away. So bring some twine with you so that you hang things on your balcony.

Check out is 11am.

FOOD/DRINK:
Main buffet has breakfast from 7am to 9:30am. Lunch from 12:30pm to 2:30pm. Dinner from 6:00pm to 8:30pm.
Snack bar by the pool/beach area is open 11:00am to 1:00pm and again from 3pm to 5pm.

Buffet: Overall, I liked the temperature and taste of the food. The buffet serves amazing chicken dishes in the evening.
The scrambled eggs, refried beans and fresh-made tortillas in the morning are excellent. There's always fresh fruit at all three meals. I didn't find enough vegetables or salad, at lunch or dinner. There's tons of carbs: plain rice, flavoured rice, potatoes, buns and bread all over the place. But hardly any vegetables. I wish there were more.
There's a full bar just outside the restaurant and another full bar steps away at the snack bar by the pool.
I really liked the coffee.
The wait staff will bring you wine, coffee, tea, juice - or you can go get it yourself.
There is a microwave upon a shelf in the main buffet area (sort of in the corner by the pasta station).

Snack bar: The snack bar serves amazing food. Fried chicken, fried pork bites, french fries, fresh donuts. People line up for the fried chicken because it is so good and it goes fast. Therefore, perhaps the resort should consider serving more of it. The tostadas were quite tasty too.

Bars:
- There is a small bar by the family pool near Blocks A and B. They only serve water, soft drinks, juice, beer. No alcohol or wine.
- There is a large bar in the main lobby / restaurant area, and a small bar within the snack bar by the pool that's near the beach. These two bars are full service. They have: water, beer, white and red wine, sometimes have sangria, iced coffee, pina colada, strawberry slushie (good for margarita/daquiri), lime mixer, a juice punch (for rum punch), several soft drinks (pepsi, 7up, soda, orange pop), gin, vodka, rum, whisky, tequila.

I was disappointed in a couple of things regarding the bars:
1) As already mentioned, the bar by the family pool near blocks A and B only had beer, water, soft drinks and juices. It would be nice if this were expanded to include wine and some spirits.
2) the two "full" bars near the restaurant and beach had a good variety as explained above, but was a little disappointed they had NO liqueurs on hand at all (no triple sec, no baileys, no sour apple - so you couldn't get any fun shots or funky drinks that you get at other resorts). My guess is that because everything has to be shipped into this island, it's too difficult to bring so many items into the resort.

SERVICE:
Pretty much every staff member I encountered was lovely. They are always smiling, very friendly, happy to help. Reception, servers in the buffet, bartenders at the bars, lifeguards by the pool, entertainers, towel guy, ALL of them were friendly and nice.

There are security guards by the beach in beige/brown uniforms who make sure people who don't have Henry Morgan bracelets do not come onto the resort. They also make sure that the vendors don't try to sit on the HM lounge chairs. Those are for guests only. (We witnessed security telling the jet-ski guy to get off a chair).

There are security guards in bright yellow golf shirts walking around within the HM resort. Most of them seemed ok, I didn't really interact with many of them. But, one night when I was walking back to my room alone (boyfriend was still at the evening show), I was approached by a security guy and he offered to help carry a bag. I said no, but he insisted. So I let him carry my bag. (I am pretty sure this is not security's job). Now, for the whole walk back to my resort, he tried to make chit chat with me, but his english was poor and I don't know much spanish. He knew I was Canadian and he was harrassing me for my contact info (he was holding out his phone and trying to get me to put in my name/number or Facebook name or something). I said No in a forceful way, to give the hint I was not interested, and at this point I was starting to get nervous he may follow me directly to my room. Thankfully one of my hotel neighbours was out for a smoke and he saw me saying No and trying to say goodnight and this guard got the hint that he should leave. I told management about it directly and they heard me out, wrote down the whole story and said they would investigate and said they are happy to receive this kind of feedback because it helps them improve. So it was very nice to be taken seriously and it sounds like they will look into it.

BEACH/POOLS:
The beach has very soft, light (almost white) sand. Very nice. There are tons of lounge chairs at this resort. We never had to "claim" a chair or get up early to grab one. There are always lots to select from, at the beach and at the pools. The only time it was busy was one day when cruise ship visitors were there, and on the weekend when some locals (Hondurans, Venezuelans, etc) were there.
There are many vendors walking along the beach trying to sell their wares. There's people selling jewelry, hair-braiding, massages, sea-doo rentals, sunglasses, shirts, hats, fresh fruit, banana bread, etc.
NOTE: Most will go away if you simply give them a firm "NO" and look away. But if you sift thru their wares (examine the jewelry or hats or shirts up close), they will "hound" you a little bit, try to barter with you, pester you a little. So only look if you are really interested because they will pester you a bit if you don't buy. There are some good deals to be had, though, so have a look if you like to shop. Our group bought a lot of the Roatan long sleeve polyester shirts that block sun and can be worn snorkeling. They come in vibrant colours and have nice designs on them.
Some of the vendors are just small children. They try to pull your heartstrings and get you to buy because they are labouring children. I found this one girl to be quite crafty, she really "worked it" to try to get you to buy. Be wary!

The two pools were quite clean and well kept. The one by the beach is deep and it's hard to see where the steps end, so be careful wading in. The family pool is quite shallow and hard to swim in. It's meant for just sitting around or for children to play.

The decks were clean in decent condition. There are a few old boards around the pool by the beach, one person in our group got a terrible sliver - so be cautious in bare feet.

I noticed there are many ramps and paths that are accessible for wheelchairs and strollers, which is great. Just be sure to ask for a main floor room as all the buildings have 2nd floor rooms that have stairs.

All in all a very nice time and no major complaints. Just feel the price is off, compared to other trips I’ve taken.
Henry Morgan is a 3+ star resort due to having no A la Carte restaurants and other small details that are missing (such as no dedicated theatre with stage for the shows), and yet is still the cheapest (or one of the cheapest) places on the island, so I guess Roatan is just plain pricey, and I can’t fault Henry Morgan for that.
But comparatively, I can stay at a 5-star resort in the Mayan Riviera for the same price or cheaper! So that is my beef.

Was very nice to experience it and recommend this place for first-timers to Roatan. But I probably wouldn’t go back just because all resorts there are so much more than Mexico.

Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank JennuineP
Reviewed February 22, 2020

HM must have been 2 resorts at one time, big difference on quality of rooms. Lets start with Rooms. We were in building F. upper lever, fantastic hammocks on the balcony which we used a lot. Room was clean, 2 queen beds with netting, Good sized closets and room and comfy beds, but broken lights , most didnt work, telephone broken so we couldn't call down to get maintenance, though we did attend front desk and advise nothing was done. Also room safe unusable, we did have 1 chair in the room , it was fabric covered and stained, under the cushion was a used razor and hair ( eeek) sadly outdated, stained and peeling toilet seat (yuk) shower head trickled and sprayed water in every direction except down. towels grey and worn on some days, this is a 2 star room, but we were there to dive not sit in our room, so for us it was fine, adequate. We were issued 3 small cartons of water for the week, there is a sign not to drink the water, WARNING I did use the tap water for teeth brushing twice and each time i did , oh boy ..my stomach hurt a lot. so use cartons for all washing.
FOOD:
Buffet 3 times a day, I actually did not read this proir to booking or I would not have done so, I personally am not a buffet fan, but in saying that there was lots of options, local dishes as well as western dishes. A egg grill for your omelettes and eggs, plus onacakes and crepe grill.. toasters and cereal. always fresh fruit. not bad . I loved the breakfast, I did not enjoy lunces and dinners, lack of options and repetive. After day 3 we chose to pay and go out for dinners. Your drinks are served in paper cups and wine is servedd in water tumblers. Juice is not juices, its like a tang. Coffee was good. Service on the patio was amazing Preddy has to be the top server there, inside we had our table cleaned off when we were at the buffet, no one has a section per say. This was annoying as we had to find new tables each time. also the dishes themselves aren't very clean, take wipes, plates are aged and chipped. again 2 star. You cannot get coffee if the resturant isnt open, this was a very low point for a lot of us, As divers we are up early, there is no option for coffee unless you want to pay $2 dollars US in their private shop at the resort, I was not impressed with this, as an all inclusive this should be included or a coffee station available. I understand you can rent a coffee maker for 30 US a week but you still have to supply all your fixings.
Snack Bar
good donuts and fried chicken and fries, food always hot. You are not allowed to get a non alcoholic drink from this snack bar bar.. ??? does that even makes sense.. they will not serve you unless you have booze???? again being a diver resort , it is forbidden to dive if you have alcohol in your system. so we could not understand this at all.

POOLS
I am sad to say, I found the family pool the day before we left, its was quiet, clean shallow and well maintained. the Main pool was a urine bath, the deck surrounding the pool is smeared with dirt from feet and people walking back and forth to the lobby and dive shop, there is no other way, so all that dirt goes into the pool, it grossed me out so i didnt step a toe into it. its loud and busy, so if you want quiet and clean I strongly suggest the family pool.

BEACH
well this was the biggest disappointment by far. Roatan is know for its amazing beachs and coral, hence why we booked this resort. The hotel has chairs on the beach for guests, sadly they are taken by cruise passengers as ships come in every day and no one is there to make sure they are guests. every other hotel on the beach has someone asking and they charge 10$ a day for the chairs, except HM. so you either used another hotels chairs and paid the 10$ or you stood or sat on the sand, again this is not acceptable, you have paid 1400 for a week you should have access to what you paid for. We did end up paying to use another resorts and didnt stay long, ill paint you an image .. there is the rows of chairs 4 rows, amongst them walks locals selling massages, trips, brcelts, hats shrt, 100's of them, i was woken up 3 times to see if i wanted a massage.. not relaxing at all. Lovely people, they took no for an answer but constant selling. there are options to rent seadoos, and all dive boats and water taxis dock in the same location you are swimming. how no one has been hit an killed by speeding boats an seadoos is beyond me, its mayhem, way too many boats and people all in the same space. not what i was expecting, crowded noisy and dangerous. Though this is out of control of the hotel, I just wanted you to know incase you were expecting to relax by the water.

DIVING
Is good, it TGI diving, we did 12 dives a shark dive and night dive. well maintained equipment, good diver instructers, great captains. Was is amazing enough to return , no, I have dove and seen same at different resorts but it was enjoyable for sure.

In summary, the age at the resort was older, the entertainment was mainly a lovely talented man playing an organ, nothing to do at all at night, no tables available to sit around and get to know people or play cards, which i found wierd. the furniture is over sized cushion cloth covers pieces in vibrant colours but its clothe, and people have ther bare feet and bodies lying all over them, for me , im not a fan on sitting on a spot where someones bare feet have been.

We would def not return and not recommend, its a 2 star resort, its boring, its lacking in many services and for the money I would pay a little more and go for a better beach location, quieter, and more options for dining and that uses glass for drinks.

Room tip: i cant comment
1  Thank lulife7890
Reviewed February 15, 2020

Just came back yesterday. Check in and checkout was easy. Nice place but if you are expected 4 Star, not here. I can send you a full report if you send request to barrybur@sympatico.ca. Tripadvisor restricted to 1500 characters. BRING YOUR OWN WATER BOTTLES and fill them at many water stations around the resort. There is only one buffet restaurant here with different choices each day. Yes there are similarities each day. Trust me, no one will starve here. No blender drinks, no 100% fruit juices. No Bailey’s, Amaretto or whiskey. The beach is large and beautiful. White sand and no obstacles. Fish swim all around you at different times. Staff here are great and I personally saw none of the problems mentioned in other reviews. The resort is very well kept by the staff. Bring plenty of tip money in American $1 bills. YES there are sand fleas, mosquitoes etc. here that bite and lots of them. Protect yourself by bringing strong repellant with you. Let me state that these bugs are not restricted to Henry Morgan but up and down the beach. The second best reef in the world is here. The snorkeling is amazing and it costs you nothing. While buffets in other resorts have a lot of repetitive dishes, we had different food every night. Salad, bread etc. were repetitive. Rooms were clean however sparse. Plenty of chairs at the pools and the beach. If you are looking for Sandals, Bahia or other 4-5 Star resort, don’t come here.

5  Thank Barrybur