“We Loved Roatan, and the Henry Morgan - but...”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 3 February 2011

My wife and I spent one week at the Henry Morgan along with 4 other couples the last week of January 2011. It was our first time to Roatan, and we were excited to be going to one of the top ten beaches for snorkeling in the Caribbean - and we were not let down! West Bay is one of the most incredible beaches we have ever been to (and we've been to a lot!).
Our airplane touched down in Roatan before lunch, and we were whisked away to the resort (separately from our luggage). The trip from the airport is not very long, but winds through Coxen Hole, and then up and down windy roads. Upon arrival, live music was playing in the Lobby (Mr. Texas) and we were greeted with cold drinks. Check in was fairly quick, as we were assigned our rooms at the airport. You will have to fill out some paperwork and leave an impression of your credit card. You will receive 2 room keys, 2 towel cards, 1 safe key, and the TV remote. We headed off to our room where we were met by our luggage.
ROOMS:
The rooms are large, with two huge closets, two banks of drawers, a HUGE bed, one wicker chair, a freshly re-done bathroom, and of course a deck/balcony with two hammocks. The rooms are in two story villas and are a short walk from the lobby. There are NO OCEANVIEW ROOMS!! All the rooms are on the back side of the resort. Housekeeping was amazing, they cleaned the rooms spotless every day (even washing the windows) and left creative figures on the bed with the towels.
FOOD:
There is only ONE restaurant at this resort, and it is a buffet style. There are posted hours for breakfast, lunch and supper, and from what I could see, there was no dress code, although shoes are required. For the most part, the food was good. Breakfast is a no brainer, with the standard eggs, bacon, pancakes, omlettes, crepes, etc.... The staff in the buffet are amazing, and will go out of their way to please you.
There is a "snack bar" near the beach bar, but this was one of my peeves. The selection of food here was dismal at best - with nacho chips (no cheese) beans (that melted into a sludge) and some cold salads. There are NO hamburgers, hot dogs, but they do have pizza and fries on occasion. This area could easily be better utilized during the day, and make a great a-la-carte restaurant at night.
BARS:
There are only two bars at this resort - the lobby bar, and the beach bar. The lobby bar opens around 9:00 am and serves coffee as well as drinks and is only open until 11:30 pm. The beach bar opens at around 10:00 am and closes in the afternoon.
NOT ALL DRINKS ARE INCLUDED!! There is a menu at the bars which denotes the drinks which are free to all inclusive guests. These are all rum, or vodka based (with the exception of the Tequila Sunrise). I requested a White Russian, and was told it would cost me $6.00! We made do, but I would have liked a wider range of choices. Also, there is NOWHERE to purchase alcohol bottles. Not the gift shop, not the local stores, not the airport. The only place we found to purchase alcohol was in Coxen Hole at a grocery store.
The bartenders at both bars were very good, and treated everyone the same whether you tipped or not.
POOL:
There is only one pool at this resort, which worried me a bit, but my worries were unfounded. There are an adequate number of loungers around the pool, but there was never anyone there! Everyone was at the beach, which was awesome. We did use the pool daily, usually later in the afternoon after a full day of saltwater. The pool was always clean and comfortable.
BEACH:
What can I say about West Bay - it's incredible. There is a reef that protects the beach, so there are no large waves or undertow. The beach sand is soft and raked CONSTANTLY during the day! There are an adequate number of loungers, and the staff will rush to supply you with lounge pads when you arrive. There is also security on the beach, and we left all of our stuff at our loungers when we went for walks or lunch, with narry a worry. The weather was incredible, and sunscreen and hats are required. You can snorkel right out in front of the resort, but there is frequent boat travel there, so a brief walk to the left (past the pier) the reef is closer to shore and has no boat traffic. You will see a variety of fish, crabs, turtles, starfish, etc..
There are vendors selling carvings, clothes, shells, etc... but they are quite friendly, and a simple "no thanks" turns them away. Also, cruise ships land frequently on the island, and the left end of the beach can get quite busy, but the crowds petered out by our resort. Water taxi's are available everywhere on the beach if you should want to take a trip to West End. The normal cost is $3/person each way, and the trip takes about 10 minutes.
There are also several bars/restaurants along the beach, and if you should tire of the resort's buffet, you can have a great meal at any of them. We had a fantastic supper at La Rocas, which is down the right side of the beach, past "Bite on the Beach" where we had three grilled lobster tails for $22 as well as other culinary delights. Some beach bars also offer entertainment which is fantastic to watch with the background of the beach and sound of the waves.
ENTERTAINMENT:
The entertainment crew at this resort are fantastic. They are very friendly, and are always trying to get people involved in the activities. At times, the evening shows were less than entertaining, but this crew works their hardest to maximize your vacation enjoyment.
OVERALL....
We loved this resort, and most definitely would go back, however I would have liked to see a better bar selection, longer bar hours, a better beach snack bar selection and somewhere to change money! (it took me three days, to change larger American bills into smaller ones for tips) All of these "gripes" are easily overlooked because of the incredible staff, the fantastic beach, and the amazing weather.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

2  Thank Dexter99
Write a ReviewReviews (1,509)

Reviewed 2 February 2011

The staff of the Henry Morgan was fabulous, too bad I can't say the same for the food. It was so bad that we stopped eating there. However, the location was fabulous and the beach was gorgeous.

2  Thank elle4308
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Henry Morgan is located on the best stretch of beach in the West Bay. Guests at the sister resorts have to come over to Henry Morgan for activities, so it's the best place to be to start with. The buffet meals are plentiful and have many selections. I am a picky eater, and there was always lots for me to eat. The staff in the entire resort is extremely helpful. The dive shop is excellent and very well organized. The beach is fantastic, and there was never any scramble to get beach chairs. The one interesting thing about West End is that the ocean doesn't usually have waves - it's calm like a lake. I really liked Roatan, and staying at Henry Morgan was an excellent choice.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank KingstonSmudger
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Roatan is a diving and snorkelling island, it doesn't have the big fancy hotels like Mexico. I would also say that this is not a kids resort as their aren't a lot of activities for younger children.

The resort is 20 minutes from the airport with a great drive though the island, you'll pass one of the ports for the cruise ships, and 2 zip lines which are amazing. We did South Shore for $45/person and it was amazing. Check in is slow and done manually so be patient. Their are 8 rooms per building, they are all connected with a board walk which is quite noisey. Request a second floor room and you'll be fine. Rooms are very simple, lot's of closet space, small safe, bathroom was fine, no mold in our's. Air conditioner had on and off which was a bit too cold at night.

Meals well they are not the best, a bit on the bland side. Breakfast is the standard, lunch much of the same and dinner well we ate out 5 nights. Their is the main buffett for all meals, and a beach buffett which has nachos for snacks. Drinks well they were good, not over the top amazing but good enough for me.

TGI the dive shop is great very helpful, they do 3 dives a day and it's a board that you sign your name up on and pay at the end. Roatan has a reef surrounding the whole island and you don't have to swim out too far to see lots. Standing on the beach facing the ocean walk to your left to the end to the wall and in you go. You can get out far but you have to watch the coral and zig zag out it does drop off about 30 feet once you get passed the coral.

You can get a decent map of the island at South Shore Zip Line. Rent a car at the resort for $64 and tour yourself and it's quite a fun. We went to Carambola Park which has a nice walk in the jungle with many plants to see such as a cinnimon tree and a chocolate tree. Also went to the Butterfly Park which really wasn't much to see. We also went to Mahogany Bay which is a lovely new shopping/beach/restaurant area for the cruise ships, they also have the Black Perle a replica pirate ship which you can go on. The ports and shopping are only open when the cruise ships are in and often close at 4PM.

You can go to the small town of West End either by water taxi which is $3 USD per person or walk. We did not change any money to leimpera but used USD the whole trip. We ate at Celestes which is in West Bay a 2 minute walk from the resort and their rum punch is awesome. Fosters which is towards West End another 2 minute walk, Thursday's is 2 lobster tails for $12! We also ate at the Blue Parrot past West End which was also very good.

Take bug spray and use it, I got a few musquito bites but my hubbie gotten eaten alive. They have Cactus Juice which was a lifesaver for the itch.

I will definatly go back and maybe stay at the Mayan Princess next door which has amazing rooms still all incusive just a nice atmosphere. Remember it's a great island with a lot of charm and the snorkelling is just awesome.

2  Thank trigger8395
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The Henry Morgan had everything I wanted in a vacation,

After reading some of the other reviews, I have to wonder where some of these other people were staying and what they were expecting to find when they arrived here. I was expecting rustic charm and a laid back Carribean atmosphere and that was exactly what I got.

The rooms were always clean, the food was great, the staff friendly and went out of their way to accommodate you.

The TGI dive staff were the best. They offered many amazing dive sites, dive courses, and upgrading your skills. Availabillity of dive sites was never a problem, if the weather was not the best on the west side, they pack you up on a bus and transport you to the south side of the island where the conditions at the time are more favourable. They were proffesional, safety oriented, and uncanningly knowledgeable about what you might see during the dive. There was never a language barrier, English, French, Spanish and Itallian were spoken. They were upbeat and excited about every trip. The equipment is well maintained. If you had any issues or the slightest concerns, there no hesitation in sorting it out whether you were on land or on the boat.

I would highly recommend the Henry Morgan Resort and the TGI Dive Center. I know I will be sure to return.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Caroline154914
Reviewed 7 January 2011

The hotel has many good points and I do recommand it. The personal is great, really clean, we had a good room. Its pretty but not over done with luxury, its more natural and nice. During holliday its quite active and there is always music on the beach. Its not that loud but hard to escape, the beach is long but not wide. The best snorkling spot after Tahiti. The food is ok but not fantastic. They should improve 2 things, a wine list even if that mean we need to buy it, their wine is terrible, we brought some, there is a fridge in the room. Also, not enough fruit and variaty. Its an Italian resort and they get a better service than the others. The personal available for that clientele do more than the one for the other clientèle. I would go back during low season for less action. But overall, for a resort, its really good. One point many people liked is that the personal working as entertainor and dive instructors all eat in the same dinning room. Many people felt it was great and less condensending, felt very family like. (sorry for my English).

2  Thank chalifouxh
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I don't normally comment on things on trip advisor. I think it's important to talk background, especially considering the other reviews.

I was scheduled to come to Roatan for the 11-14 November weekend but I had to work at the last minute, so I was only able to reschedule for the New Year's weekend. The tour agent told me I had to pay an additional $600 (on top of the $400 I had already paid) for the trip because it was one of the last vacancies available on the island and it was the New Year's wekeend. I figured hey, that's life. But then a week later the tour agency released new packages priced in the $500 range; I called up and they told me that they were sorry and it was too late, I was locked in and it was not refundable.. Then I go on trip advisor to look up reviews of Henry Morgan and they're straight awful, it's ranked 8 out of 9 out of hotels on Roatan. So I'm getting even more despondent. So this is the mindset I'm in when I get here.

I get here and ... it's really, really nice! The grounds are gorgeous, the room is really nice. Everything about the place is really nice. All the staff members are super friendly and nice. I definately am paying too much for it, but that's the tour agency's fault and the fault of the new year's weekend. I would definitely pay $150 a night for a place like this easily. The food at the meals is not amazing (not like you get a lobster every night) but it's well prepared and well presented, and the hours are reasonable. I was always able to get something I liked and the buffet style and that I don't have to leave the hotel is appealing; don't get me wrong, I like adventure, but I also appreciate simplicity. The drinks are always great at the two bars. Something I REALLY liked was that tips were definitely appreciated but I NEVER felt pressured to tip. I didn't tip at all until the end and no one ever gave me a dirty look or anything less than top service.

As far as the "infinity bay" incident, staff members cutting in line, etc. in other reviews ... I have no clue what people are taking about since I was not involved in that incident and I never saw anything like that When I was here. Whatever it was, I don't know. Sorry for those people, I had a great time.

I can't talk about the nightlife because I was mainly focused on getting my open water diving certification (which was only $210 (all inclusive) for me because I had already done the closed water and academics portion. I understand that price is pretty cheap). The dive people were really nice and friendly.

Some complaints:

A TV guide in the room would've been nice. Nothing fancy, just a list. That being said, I never asked for one, maybe they have it.

My shower leaked pretty badly on the floor and it really only had enough hot water for one person's medium length shower. Again, it wasn't an issue for me as I was by myself, but I also never complained.

The one thing I HATED was the internet. They wanted something like $10 an hour for it. I hate when hotels and resorts do that, it just feels like such cheap nickel and dime nonsense and it's not even reasonably priced. That being said, if you came here on vacation maybe you shouldn't be worried about getting on the net, but I wanted to send an email without forking over MORE money.

Overall, I would ensure that you plan to come here not on a prime holiday and not through a terrible tour agency. Disregard the bad reviews as they seem to be from over-priveliged people who had the misfortune of getting stuck in a natural disaster or hotel shutdown or something, have an axe to grind, and they're taking it out on the hotel they got pushed in to. Do those things and you will have an AMAZING time!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
23.8 km away
Media Luna Resort & Spa
Media Luna Resort & Spa
#19 of 42 in Roatan

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!