All reviews the main house tree house rising sun other guests neverland treehouse cocktail hour the owner our honeymoon breakfast and afternoon tea cloud forest costa rica night tour nature guide amazing views each evening watch the sunset bed and breakfast
Reviewed March 21, 2016

My husband and I came to Hidden Canopy on our anniversary trip. The drive getting there was a little scary but it was well worth it. When we arrived we were immediately welcome by Jennifer and her staff who made sure we were relaxed and ready to enjoy everything Monteverde had to offer. We loved Tea Time since it gave us an opportunity to meet some of the other travellers staying there as well. We stayed in Eden and as soon as we walked in we were welcomed with a bottle of wine. We spent over a week in Costa Rica and my husband and I both agreed we felt the most relaxed and slept the best while at Hidden Canopy. We have already told several of our friends about it and definitely will be back!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2016

Hidden Canopy greeted me with a warm hug. I traveled solo during the midst of February and stayed in the Cascade room for 3 nights. The room was beautiful and through the windows I saw the humingbirds and garden . Jehn and her staff were attentive and caring and made me feel secure and at home. Jehn took care of my cold and prepered special drink for me to relieve my illness. Tea time was a lovely event each day, sitting watching the view, the top of the trees and the sunset. All guests gathered and shared cakes and company. It was a lovely way to meet other travelers and I appreciated it . I did not have a car but it was easy to explore Monteverde using taxi and the hotel's driver. Jehn also arranged a day walk in the rainforest with Kokie- the most knowledgable and friendly guide I had in CR. I would love to go back to the hidden canopy .

- wifi was very good

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank sagiberg
Reviewed March 21, 2016

We had a wonderful 2 day stay at the Treehouse. Owner Jen wants everyone to enjoy their stay in Monteverde area. We took an evening walk and a morning walk, accompanied by Koky, a fun and knowledgeable naturalist. Jen arranged everything. It is fun to order out from local restaurant and rest at "home" after a busy day.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2016

Stay here. Stay here. Stay here. We were here March for 2 nights for my boyfriend's birthday. We had been tree camping the night before and our welcome here was amazing. Jenn greeted us with drinks and special birthday treats. Our room was perfect. Clean, comfortable, private. And you don't even have to think about what to do in Monteverde (they set you up with the most amazing tours.) Don't question it. Just book (if you can get a room.)

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2016

I feel guilty not continuing the trend of 5 star reviews, but this is a reality check. We stayed in the cascade room and, although the waterfall was gorgeous along with our own hummingbird garden, you could hear people walking upstairs (we were above the glass dining room of the main house) from 5 a.m.- 8 p.m. The pets were very friendly and appreciated, but I feel so bad for the dog who is not allowed inside, especially considering the rain, cold winds, & frequent visits of ferocious animals at night; the dog was always shivering and wanting love that I never saw it get. I was glad we stayed here because Jen set us up for the night tour with koki and, as all the other reviews say, he is one of the Best guides out there & we would not have found him without the hidden canopy. That was 2nd best, if not the best, part of the trip. However, other "suggestions" made by Jen did not end up so well. Although we really appreciated her changing the zipline company we went through after hearing the complaints from others, the chocolate tour & Argentinean restaurant she signed us up for were big disappointments. The restaurant was super pricey (& skewed the $ value) and the chocolate tour was too crowded, boring, and unsanitary. Jen also said we would not have time to do ziplining, shopping, and the bridges in one day & when we came back from completing all 3 activities, she seemed a little disappointed, as if we tried to prove her wrong. Also, there is practically nothing to do in Monteverde that cannot be done in Heradurra for example.You can do this stuff and way more. The staff here was very nice (hate to say it, but almost more welcoming and friendly than Jen herself). Although I understand the no shoe rule, we were so scared to violate any other secret rules she had...almost to the point of paranoia. The $250 charge for any damages had us being meticulously careful in our room and it was quite stressful. Plus, all these $10 service charges and $2.50 plating charges discouraged us from filling up at meal time. And there's another rule: you cannot order take out yourself...it must go through Jen. She also appears to have something against deet...to the point that she claims you do not need insect repellant, when indeed you do (we got completely covered in mosquito bites without it). When she saw us applying off, carefully and outside and away from all animals I might add, she didn't talk to us much for the rest of the day. Jen seemed a little moody sometimes, which added to the stress I was facing trying to avoid violating rules or making her irritated or getting charged for things. It was quite a contast: the calmness and joy from the setting and room to the stress we felt. The breakfast was not very good and was basically the same thing every day (only one item is changed). The toast was not toasty and the eggs were overcooked. The fruit was DELICIOUS though and unlimited drinks were appreciated.
At the end of our visit, the cheese pizza we ordered through takeout had some charges on it we did not know about. The box of chocolates she gave us to celebrate our arrival were appreciated. And there wasn't even kleenex in the whole place.
I would like to add that the reason why I am posting this review a couple months after we visited is because, upon checkout, she tried to butter us up and guilt us into giving her a good review, which can probably account for many of the good reviews posted to trip advisor. She gave me a bookmark and talked about her start as the owner and the building process and showed us her trip advisor awards. Well, in this review, I disregarded that and told it as it was.

Room Tip: The rooms look about the same.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family