“Great value at La Manga”
Review of Las Lomas Village

Las Lomas Village
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just returned and spent four days at the La Manga golf Complex. North and South Courses were amazing and in superb condition. West course a little rough around the edges but a great test of golf. We were a group of 8 guys and stayed in the Las Lomas Village which is a 20 minute walk from the Hotel. Not a problem as the Wah Wah buses are free and run all day till 2am. Acommodation was ideal as each room had an en-suite plus an additional toilet. The resort restaurants are a little over priced. The independant bars and restaurants are much better value. Try La Barra for a quick Tapas and the Last Drop bar both much cheaper. The resort is starting to liven up, so we enjoyed the food and bars at night.

Some great golf deals out there to entice you along to La Manga so give it a try you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If I was to return I would choose the hotel just to be a little more central. There is an added cos...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jammy1874

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We took my parents away as an Easter treat. From Murcia airport the drive could not be easier, a quick half and hour, though do keep an eye on the signs as the one for the resort is easy to miss. Firstly you need a car. La Manga resort is absolutely massive and, although we did not try out the shuttle service, we didn't see it either and waiting in April for it at the top of Las Lomas may have been brisk and windy. My husband played golf on the West Course and they were very helpful, there was no issue with my walking around with him and they joined him up with others to make a 4-ball. We are generally not resort people, preferring to seek out the "local" places, however this was a special treat for the folks. The rooms were lovely, large, very clean. We looked over the car park which wasn't great but other than that the room was great. We went over easter 7-9 April and it was exceptionally quiet at the resort something which we appreciated, but we have no idea how they manage when it is full. There did not appear to be enough restaurants to be able to cope. We ate at a non-resort restaurant on the first night and in the Asian one the next night which was absolutely lovely. Mulligans was very lively. The pool was not open at Las Lomas village at the time we were there. We considered the hotel as well as las lomas but I have no idea why you'd want to stay so far from the spa if you stayed at the hotel. The spa was right next to our apartment in Las Lomas which was ideal. We weren't allowed to use certain areas, but simply paid an upgrade. Although this place is not for the adventurous, at all, if you like golf, you'll love it. There were various tennis camps going on for the kids so if you have kids and they're sporty, they'll love it. The spa was relaxing though probably could do with some updating and got a little busy, probably because the outdoor pool wasn't open yet. In the height of summer I would not enjoy it. I can only imagine it would be very very busy. I think if you didn't like sport, you could probably get board here and you're not seeing the "real" spain here. The tapas restaurant open at lunch times on the resort is run by English. It was relaxing though, and I wouldn't say no to going again (especially if I got a good deal).

Room Tip: Only tried one type of room, ours were 495 and 594, both were lovely, although car park view down th...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AJRA2013
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Two things. First I have previously reviewed this resort and marked it very highly. I have since returned and sadly standards have dropped.

Second thing - I should have written this last October (2011) when I returned, but got lazy.

I would hate anyone to read my first review and book as a result of it. We have been to La Manga Club on eight occasions and whilst the golf was as good as ever the same cannot be said for Las Lomas.

On arrival we were given a room which was dirty with horrible staining on the furniture. We complained (first time on any of our visits) and were given another room. This one was even worse. The bedroom was damp. Paint peeling from the walls and the sofa in the living room was burst open with foam hanging out.

Once again we complained only to be given an upgrade to an apartment at the new part of the complex. This was well furnished but once again not clean. By now I was bored complaining about the standards of cleanliness so I accepted the room and my wife and I cleaned it ourselves.

The pool areas were also were not well looked after. They were tidied at night but that's it. The sun loungers were badly marked and a large proportion of them broken.

I would still recommend La Manga Club for a golf break but not Las Lomas Village. it needs completely refurbished.

Off to somewhere different this year.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Las Lomas
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HenrikFifeScotland
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We visited Las Lomas Village at La Manga Club in August 2011 (I wrote this review then but for some reason totally forgot to upload it!).

We always knew that La Manga was primarily a golf and tennis resort but we had also been led to believe that the facilities there would make for a great family holiday and whilst it was by no means terrible it was not the holiday we were looking for or had been expecting.

Prior to booking the holiday whenever I searched for ‘La Manga’ various websites offering vast arrays of accommodation in various locations popped up but not knowing the resort I had no idea whether the accommodation was in what I imagined to be the resort or just in the general area! I, wrongly, assumed that if I booked a La Manga Club accommodation it would be centrally located within the resort. I never dreamed that non La Manga Club accommodation would be located closer to the amenities than some La Manga Club accommodation. Incidentally, whenever I went onto the La Manga Club website it only offered me Las Lomas accommodation and not hotel accommodation which I assume is due to us having two under 5s and perhaps they don’t have family or interconnecting rooms rather than there not being availability, especially given I booked almost a year in advance.

Prior to arriving in La Manga we were totally unaware of quite how vast the resort is and how far spread things are. We were, naively, under the impression that La Manga Club Resort consisted of the Hotel, Las Lomas Village, the tennis centre, kids club, restaurants etc in one central location with golf courses, football pitches and other villas dotted around. This is not the case and as such a car is imperative if you intend to use all the facilities on offer.
Las Lomas Village is a separate location in the hills overlooking the North golf course and the rest of La Manga Club (in the distance).

On site at Las Lomas Village you have:

• Two outdoor swimming pools. The larger of the two pools was our favourite however other than the vending machine there is nowhere to get anything to eat or drink. Our children went in the smaller pool once but deemed it dirty and I have to agree with them, it wasn’t as clear as the other pools but it did have a small café. Towels were available at both pools and this was a major plus.
• A spa that includes a gym and indoor swimming pool (caps must be worn) housed in a large building that overlooks the outdoor pool. I had a treatment and it was ok but not the best. I also had another therapist walk in half way through my treatment and that was a bit offputting. The gym looked well equipped and I’ve heard from friends that the indoor pool is fabulous, particularly in cooler periods.
• A café-deli that also claims to be a supermarket but if you want anything other than milk and Hello magazine I’d readjust your expectations. They do offer free wifi though.
• Other food options are: La Pergola bar near the smaller swimming pool; Luigis Italian restaurant which, I have to say, is divine; Chan’s Chinese restaurant (I recommend the crunchy sesame chicken and the Singapore noodles but otherwise we were unimpressed) and the Indian restaurant which we can’t comment on but given the menu offered chicken curry without further explanation I’m not entirely sure how authentic the place is. There appeared to be some kind of ice cream parlour but we never saw it open, in August!

On arrival we were allocated a two bed apartment (though we had booked a townhouse but that’s hardly an issue) and assured that all information we would need regarding the resort was available in the room.

Our accommodation was positioned directly opposite the spa and the larger of Las Lomas’s two pools. When we arrived, the front door was wide open which I am assuming was to welcome us there. All it succeeded in doing was letting flies and bugs into the room that we couldn’t get rid of for the duration of our holiday. Despite information telling you that the rooms are cleaned daily we received 3 cleans over 9 days. Other than the fact that I don’t believe the valances on the beds have ever been cleaned, the apartment was fine. We had an issue with a broken washing machine but this was promptly dealt with. There are a large number of television channels available including sky sports and this was perfect for me. Wifi costs a fortune but if you really needed to connect there is, as I mentioned before, free wifi at the Deli-Cafe. I’m assuming, based on other reviews, that wifi needs to be paid for outside of the café because the signal isn’t strong enough so you’re actually paying for the provision of a dongle but I’m only hazarding a guess.

The promise that all the information you need is in your room was somewhat misleading. For a start half the restaurants within the resort are not mentioned at all, no one, single map of the place shows everything and there was no information on booking golf/tennis/kids clubs etc. We had to source three different maps from different locations around the resort and have them laid out in front of us to work out where on earth everything was. I think there is very much the assumption that it’s La Manga and everyone has been here before and knows the state of play.
Opposite Las Lomas Village, about a 5-10 minute drive away is the centre of the rest of La Manga Club resort. Once there, you have a much larger selection of amenities than those offered at Las Lomas.

The tennis centre is based in La Plaza and has its own swimming pool and poolside bar. This was by far our favourite pool as it was huge, had three sections of varying depths and had the added bonus of the poolside bar for lunchtime munchies. Unfortunately if you want to use this pool there is an €8 charge per lounger and an additional €2 charge if you want a towel. For a family of 4 on their annual holiday this can add a substantial amount on to the cost of your trip.
The food at the poolside bar ‘Splash’ was very enjoyable and the staff very pleasant.
The cost for two children for one day in the kids’ club was €140 so it’s not cheap but, if you are spending your day doing activities or the kids are driving you nuts, it’s probably worth it.

We went to the hotel one day to check out their pool and to grab a bite to eat but after eating discovered that the hotel pool is for hotel guests only, regardless of whether you are staying in other La Manga Club accommodation or not.

My husband played golf one day and thought a round was overpriced and that the course was nothing spectacular (it wasn’t the one in front of the hotel, or the one that has a hole overlooking the sea so the third course but he can’t remember the name of it). On another day he played further up the coast at Las Colinas Golf and Country Club for a fraction of the price and both the course and service received were far superior to that at La Manga.

It’s safe to say that we won’t return to La Manga as everything La Manga has to offer can be found elsewhere and for better value but for those who are looking to book, and are planning to stay in a villa, perhaps consider renting a villa in Bellaluz instead of staying at Las Lomas. Bellaluz is a village positioned closer to the tennis centre than Las Lomas and has its own centre with a swimming pool, shops, bars, restaurants, supermarket etc so may feel less isolated than staying at Las Lomas.

Overall I would say La Manga offers an average self-catering holiday but if you love tennis and mediocre overpriced golf then it will have more to offer you.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank SqueakerMum
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Stayed for the second time this year. Again, services were very good. Apartment was fine. At times felt that our stairwell outside the flat was a bit cluttered but generally good. Coming from Madrid Las Lomas Village really offers me the best in recreation and rest.

I will be back!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 26 October 2011

9 blokes stayed for 3 nights and 3 rounds of golf. All 3 courses are excellent with the west being by far the hardest. Top tip, leave your driver in your bag except for 18th. There are practice facilities at the North and South but only putting on the West.
I would stay here even if not playing golf as it's very relaxed and well designed so giving a village feel to it. The rooms were good with loads of english channels on the tv. Plenty of places to eat. The indian is very pricey and Mulligans is only suitable for a beer while watching footy. The breakfast was continental but plenty of it and tasty. Weather was great, about 22-24 which was ideal for golf.
Took 90 mins from Alicante

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Stayed here as it read fairly well in TA, and the location suited our touring around Spain. What we found was a tired resort that is clearly well suited to holidaying Brits who just want to play golf during the day and drink beer during the night. Very ordinary and located in the corner of Spain where the Brits have ruined what should be a Spanish experience.

• Stayed: September 2011
11.3 km away
Hotel ROC Doblemar
Hotel ROC Doblemar
#5 of 23 in La Manga del Mar Menor

Been to Las Lomas Village? Share your experiences!