See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 15, 2016 via mobile

There are some places you would love to love!
I always had a twisted, somehow fantasised dreamlike vision of France in the 1960s. Imagining people did not take the highway but small "routes nationales", a famous red guide on their lap to find one of those magical "auberges" set along the roads.

And I had heard about this one for weeks, if not months... Had listened to the chef talk about his life, his attachment to products... And my other half worked there twenty years ago, when the place had a famed and treasured Michelin star.

First the setting. Well it is just as in my dream, a small countryside road, an older house, the smell of fireplace when you push the door and a cheese trolley from another dimension. So the first contact was heaven on earth.

However things deteriorated rather fast.
The real black hole here is service... True, when we were here the whole place was full (but isn't it what chefs expect?), and service was as close as a nightmare you can go.
30 mins to have an order taken...
Wine opened even before being presented (for a 75euros bottle, better not make a mistake...)
Another good 30 mins to get a starter, the. 45 to get the main dish, another 20 for dessert (that we had actually ordered before main dish, after having the menu thrown on our table).
My other half owning a restaurant, he tried to explain, almost apologise for the first 30mins... Before going almost ballistic....

Our waiter alternated between shrugs and simply avoiding us, probably fearing some nasty word (pretty accurate prediction); another lady (probably a relative or some friend) was helping with the service, but was not more helpful...

Actually as May transpire in this review, all this quite obscured the food...

Well started with a foie gras that was good, oeufs en meurette (kind of poached eggs in wine) that were nice, but not exceptional. Main dish was lamb (overcooked) and veal liver, quite nice. A soufflé (undercooked) and a remarkable crepe for me.

So actually the food was good (not as exceptional as I had heard from those who advised to go there), but the service was horrendous... The wife's owner seemed to be the only one efficient, swift and precise.

Expensive: 213 euros for two... Yes it is expensive for what it is.

Worth going: If you are around, in low season... Personally I might give it another try... A Sunday in November when I am pretty sure the place won't be packed... But it is definitely not worth the trip.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jean H
Reviewed August 14, 2016 via mobile

Have been here a few times, but many years have passed, so let's start with our room, which was spacious but old fashioned and not in a good way, the last time I was there which must have been at least 13 years before and the rooms were exactly the same, I would suggest a face lift is needed here. My husband thought the food was fantastic as long as you like mushrooms, as it happens he does. I felt the food was good, but in the intervening years since I have been, I feel it has not moved on. My starter of foie gras was very good, however the addition of a rather large clumsy slightly burnt brioche roll, it looked like some one had forgotten to slice it before serving and the few limp leaves of salad in the corner of the plate, dressed much earlier in the evening, didn't fill me with delight. My main of veal with mushrooms was fine. The cheese selection was excellent and the high light of the meal. Dessert was a little disappointing, as if made much earlier in the day or dare I say it the day before, it lacked a a light touch in my opinion. The wine menu and the wine we chose was pure Burgundian pleasure. Our waiter at dinner looked after us very well and could not fault his service. Our sleep was fine, bathroom adequate, but again a throwback in time. Breakfast was a very simple affair and perfectly sufficient, in fact the jams are available to buy should you wish. I did not feel relaxed at breakfast, I didn't really feel welcomed by Odile, there wasn't any polite conversation or eye contact. Although there was for the other tables.
I am sorry I went back, it didn't live up to my memory. I feel terrible saying all of this. I had such great memories of the food and more importantly the welcome, which sadly was lacking on this occasion. That of course questions, how did we feel in relation to the overall experience? We feel for just over 400 euros, (and yes, I bought jam, 3 jars at 24:50 euros)! If I'm totally honest we were disappointed with the overall experience, we felt it was expensive in respect to value for money. Service fairly formal, and Francis is left to carry out it would appear most of the customer serviceI. My job is in hospitality, I do think this was sadly missing. I so wanted it to be as my memory had preserved it.

This may sound like an over emotional response, however, given that it was a special wedding anniversary for us and my birthday the following day, I chose to stay here out if all of the places we could have stayed because of the wonderful memories and the personal welcome I had received on numerous previous occasions!

The area is a place of outstanding beauty, that still remains.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thrupence
Reviewed July 13, 2016

The reception at Auberge de l'Atre by both M. and Mme. Salamolard was warm and accommodating. The room was simple but nice, and completely quiet and private, with a small terrasse. The food was outstanding, as was the dinner service. And they pricing was quite reasonable given that we were guests at demi-pension and we seemed not to have a menu that was imposed on us at dinner. There is much to see and do in Burgundy and l'Yonne, one of its "departements," is much more down to earth than the more visited (by Americans anyway) Cote d'Or. You need a car here.

A la prochaine!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2016 via mobile

The amuses were nice and gave the impression that we were onto a treat. Not. The menu's on offer were expensive. Not using the offered menu's even more so. I had a starter and a main. After that no desire for a desert anymore. The price you have to pay for very simple gesiers on a basic salad with a basic dressing, shocking. It was far to simple for that price. Than the pigeon. Even more expensive. Probably it was me, because tastes differ, but I didn't like it a bit. My wife had the same main, and she found it okay. Not tremendously well, but okay. But if you look at the prices, you expect tremendous. Sorry, not for us anymore.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2016

A nice hotel and we stayed in a good sized room.
The restaurant was very expensive with no reasonably priced option. There were two set menus in the evening of 59euros or 65 euros. We think there should be a set menu in the range of 30 to 45 euros as we have typically found in French hotels.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple