All reviews paradise on earth the kitchen outdoor furniture sole bruce fishing foreshore cabin auckland
Reviewed April 28, 2016

We have booked the Pohutukawa cottage with friends over the Anzac weekend. It was pure bliss. The cottage has everything you need to relax and it's big enough for 2x couples. We were lucky with the weather so we could use the outdoor amenities. Due to the bay being sheltered kayaking was great, even for beginners. We spent one afternoon just relaxing on the porch (hammock) and the sun lounger, reading. Such a quiet place, only birds and the sound of the sea. Highly recommended little spot of paradise.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 123456789kiwi
Reviewed April 27, 2016

We booked Sanctuary in the cove for our wedding and 3 nights accommodation in both cottages. Family stayed in Pohutukawa cottage whilst we occupied the cove. Both cottages were lovely, well appointed and surrounded by stunning scenery. The property is incredibly peaceful and the owner, Bruce has obviously put a lot of time and effort into maintaining the gardens. The waterfall garden is stunning and made for a perfect setting for our wedding ceremony.
Bruce was incredibly helpful throughout the year of planning our wedding, with regular meetings to organise the running of the day. He continued to provide useful information of the local businesses that contributed on the day. Throughout the wedding day, Bruce remained available to ensure everything ran smoothly.
We would highly recommend Sanctuary in the Cove for both a wedding venue or holiday accomodation and we look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Jarrett-Hoare
kime777, Owner at Sanctuary in the Cove, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2016

Thank you Thom and Annika - it was a great day for all. Bruce

Reviewed April 4, 2016

After a phone call to Bruce advising on our arrival time we were given arrival instructions to the cottage for our romantic weekend booking.To our dismay a car was parked in our space and our cottage was occupied, Bruce advised he had double booked saying it was not a problem he would move out of his own house for the weekend, he asked us to give him an hour to organise the change .
Overall we were disappointed and unimpressed that the kitchen was unclean and we had to use a refrigerator that was full of his food. The setting was idyllic but the accommodation was not what we booked and payed for.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank juliequinnnz

Hell Julie. Again I apologise for the late change in your accommodation. However, as I said on the day the Japanese guests who arrived 1 hour before you with documentary evidence of a booking for Pohutukawa cottage obliged me to offer you my house as an alternative. Again as I said to you on arrival I had no knowledge of the other booking and it is the first time that an online booking has not reached me. Although I do not have any evidence of this my only assumption is that it must have ended up in my spam email filter. I did invite you to view the house when explaining the predicament and your husband accepted the offer. With little time I did make room for your provisions in my fridge but accept that I left some of my personal items there as well. The kitchen had been used but was certain,y not dirty as my cleaning staff clean the house each week. I agree that you were expecting a stay in the smaller Pohutukawa cottage but in some respects you had a free upgrade to a much larger house with better furniture (e.g billiard table and grand piano), outside furniture and the ability to have your husbands friend stay in an upstairs bedroom for which I did not charge. This was your husbands idea not mine.

Reviewed February 10, 2016

No welcome from landlord. He is absent!!
After 4 days the gates broke down, so we could not get out.
None of the helper phone numbers were any good. Landlord, his designated helper and the next door neighbor were all on answer phone ALL DAY LONG!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank JohnSR6424CR

Hello John - when I initially read your review I decided not to respond as you both knew that I would be away for the first few days of your 14 day stay and that I was arriving back to Sanctuary in the Cove on the day that the electronic gates malfunctioned. However, for the benefit of readers of your comments I have decided that I should reply. I did apologise for the gate malfunction and explained to you that the problem was a failed battery that was subsequently replaced. As soon as I returned and not being able to find the problem myself I disconnected the gates from the motors allowing access to and from the property. I am disappointed that during the remaining 8 days of your stay you did not air your frustrations about that particular day directly with me as you by then knew that the battery fault was unavoidable. Of course none of us welcome such temporary problems but even if I had been present we would all have been "stuck" inside the property for several hours while the problem was diagnosed. As I said to you at the time (and as many readers will understand if they read the wider range of Sanctuary in the Cove reviews) being a "prisoner" in bliss enducing surroundings for part of a day is not particularly a hardship.

Reviewed February 1, 2016

We stayed in the Pohutukawa Cottage for 8 nights. The cottage was very clean, tidy and comfortable - excellent. Beds were comfortable. We used the kayaks and swam when the tides allowed it. It is best to drive to some of the more beautiful sandy beaches that are located within 30-40 minutes. You can take an easy walk or a 3 minute drive to either Coopers Beach or Doubtless Bay (Sanctuary in the Cove is smack bang in the middle of these two beautiful beaches). Matai Bay and Karikari Peninsula are a 30 minute drive away. Easy drive to Mangonui restaurants. Bruce the owner is very helpful and left us to our own devices. Great hanging chair on the deck and the wee garden sanctuary is well cared for and peaceful.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family