I visited Hafod Ganol Farm from 21st October 2021 to Sunday 24th October 2021 and booked through Best Of Wales online.
The house itself is set on the outskirts of Pontypridd and is up in the hills; you have to drive up very steep hills on winding, one-lane roads. Even the drive itself is stunning and as the views were not captured on the pictures of the property, we were not expecting this at all. It was a VERY welcome addition. We kept stopping to take photographs, not realising what delights awaited us at the property. It's only around 20 minutes drive from Cardiff once you get to the bottom of the hill and we went in to Cardiff twice during our stay; super easy. There is also a Sainsbury's Superstore and lots of other pubs etc. in Pontypridd, so whilst you're remote, everything is in very easy driving distance!
On arrival, we ran around "oooohing" and "aaaaaahing" at the house. It sits at the bottom of a couple of small valleys, with horses and sheep on them. The garden is surrounded by horse fields and the horses come up to the fences to greet you (especially if you have food!) but again, this was a totally welcome addition that we weren't expecting!
The house itself is HUGE, with ample room for lots of people. We were a party of 5 (was supposed to be 6) and we all had our own private space. There is three living areas (in addition to the games room), so if you were attending with kids you'd have plenty of room to give them separate play areas with LOADS of space to spare. Despite being really large, the deep coloured woods, fluffy carpets and beams made the house feel cosy and warm, so it really was the best of both worlds.
The games room itself was massive and had table football, pool, table tennis and darts and still had ample room to move/walk around. It also had a fully functioning bar, which was awesome for a group of girls for the weekend! The house has two very large bathrooms - one with a bath and shower, one with a walk in shower - in addition to a separate toilet, which again was plenty for the five of us for the weekend.
It goes without saying that the real splendour of this house is the hot tub, looking on to the views of the mountains and valleys. WOW. Just wow. We didn't want to get out. We sat out there each and every day as the sun came down and couldn't believe how lucky we had been with the house selection. It was totally dreamy.
Upon arrival, we were also left a lovely welcome basket, containing a bottle of prosecco, some welsh cakes and another couple of bits. Something else to mention is that on the Friday night, we put a speaker in the games room to play music whilst playing games and at points this was quite loud. We were so remote that no one could hear us and we didn't disturb anyone, which was fantastic.
We also had a number of service providers attend the house over the course of the weekend; an Asda delivery on the Thursday night and a masseuse, private yoga instructor, private chef and singer on the Saturday. All made their way there very easily and remarked on how beautiful the house was. A number of them were also Welsh and had lived in the local area all their lives and said they didn't even know the hill existed; it's a real hidden treasure!
Only a couple of small suggestions;
- A couple of areas looked like they had not been cleaned thoroughly (namely games room and downstairs bathroom) however this was dust and surface level dirt, nothing offensive, just a watch out for future bookings!
- The wifi is strong in the core part of the house (lounge and bedrooms) but we struggled to get it to work in the kitchen and the games room. Again, not a major problem for us as we didn't really use our phones as the house was so beautiful!
- We were asked to do a lot of things on exit; strip the beds, put bed linen and towels in to the wash, take out all of the bins etc. We weren't sure whether these were additional and unusual measures due to COVID-19, however when you have paid a fair amount to stay somewhere you would not expect to have to do all of this. Again, not a massive issue for us (as we have two people in our party who LOVE cleaning....) but seemed unusual
- There was no tea towels! We searched everywhere and couldn't find them....
- Needs an extra light by the back steps in the back garden; getting to and from the games room in the evening was VERY difficult and quite dangerous on a stone path, as we literally couldn't see a thing!
These are all very minor points - none of these detracted from the fact that we had the most amazing time. All of our group said it was the best weekend they had ever had and Hafod Ganol Farm provided the backdrop for all of this; stunning, characterful house with plenty of space, amazing views and welcoming. It was the perfect place to make memories. If we didn't go to a different place every year, we would DEFINITELY return; maybe we will in the future.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!